Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #1

2004 Pace Arrow Dometic Fridge failure

I'm new to this site, joined in hopes of getting some advice concerning a Dometic fridge for a 2004 Pace Arrow. It has always leaked, with the refrigerator side constantly freezing things, yet the freezer has never frozen anything fully! It has been back to Neil's service department (where we purchased it) several times, but never fixed - now the warranty has expired and we arrived at an RV Park yesterday, plugged into AC and it failed completely. It is leaking water and ammonia. We called Neil's, who says we need a new fridge and quoted us $2,000. A mobile repairman came today and recommended the same thing, but for a few dollars less. He also told us there has been a recall on Dometics, but that our side-by-side is not included in the recall. Does anyone know anything about this? I find it astounding that we would have to replace an entire fridge in such a short amount of time - the RV has spent most of the last 5 years in storage, with only 12,000 miles accrued. Thanks in advance if anyone can advise me!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #2

I don't know which Dometic you have, but the web information suggests that the recall was expanded. Yours may now be included.

here's the link:

Official Dometic Recall - DometicUSA

2017 Gemini 23TR
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fridges don't get worn out from mileage or use - they usually die of either abuse (operating off-level is the most common) or rust. The side-by-side models have had a good track record, but yours obviously was sick for some time. Maybe faulty installation - that is an altogether too common problem, but too late to do anything now. Bite the bullet and get a replacement cooling unit or better yet, an entire new fridge, so that you know everything is right and installed to spec. Put the trouble behind you and go enjoy the coach.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:20 PM   #4

2004 Pace Arrow Dometic Fridge failure

Thank you so much for taking the time to help. I will pursue the recall and see if it helps. if not, I suppose there is no alternative but to replace it and move on!!! Again, thank you!
Old 09-11-2009, 07:59 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You can check on the recall here:
Official Dometic Recall - DometicUSA

However, the recall involves a safety problem (fire hazard) on standard two door models, not the sort of problem you have.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #6

It seems with the repair history before the failure it should be covered.My daughter had an A.C. problem in her car.They couldn't find the leak.After the warantee expired they suddenly found the leak and wanted to charge her for the repair.A call to corporate prompted a call from the dealer to say he made a mistake.Bring the car back .
BOB
Old 11-04-2009, 10:38 PM   #7

Refrig repair

We have a 2-door refrigerator in a 2004 coach and it started to work sometime and not other times. After a search, we took our coach to National RV Refrigeration near Shipshewana, IN and he replaced the cooling coil with his rebuilt one for about 1/4-1/3 of what the other quotes were. It was a good job that was done in about 3 hours. It has worked better than new since. His number is 260 768 7059
Old 11-05-2009, 11:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I hope your rebuilt cooling unit holds up - they have a nasty habit of failing again within a short time. Even if you have a warranty on the replacement, its still a lot of hassle and maybe spoiled food besides.

It is generally better to install a new cooling unit in the fridge. Costs somewhat more, of course, but you end up with a "like new" fridge that lasts.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We had to change ours in a dometic side by side, I killed it myself running it on my extremely unlevel driveway, before I knew better.

How do people with class c's or tt's where leveling is more than jsut pushing a button deal with this?
Old 11-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boards or the plastic leveling blocks under the wheels til it gets level. Heck, I still do that in some places where my auto-leveling system just can't hack it.