Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 03:18 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
2005 MADP - intermittent electrical problem

I am experiencing an intermittent electrical problem that cuts power to certain accessories. These accessories include the Trip Tek and back-up camera display, driver side power window, remote control of the power mirrors, driver and passenger sun shade, hydraluic jacks extended warning buzzer and a few more.

Power to these items can be lost or returned at any time with lost power duration ranging from a few minutes to more than a full day. I first noticed this a couple of months ago during a 7,500 mile trip when the driver's side window failed to work. Later, it started working again. I initially thought this was specific to the driver's power window but over time I identified additional accessories that also quit functioning at the same time and returned to service together some time later. Power interruptions have become more frequent over time though none of the effectted items is mission critical to the MH's operation.

I figure the key here is in identification the common links to these accessories. Any assistance in identifying potential sources of the problem and way to validate potential causes would be greatly appreciated.

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire
Floorplan: 4301 (43 ft, 3-slide, tag axle)
Engine: Cummins ISL 400 HP
Chassis: Spartan 400 HP Mountain Master
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #2

I suspect you have a poor/intermittent ground problem, which is about 90% of 12V problems. That is perhaps the hardest problem to rectify IMO. I would begin at the batteries, checking and cleaning all ground connections and working your way towards the 12V fuse/breaker panel for the troublesome items. It's slow, tedious, frustrating, and seemingly futile work. OH, did I mention I hate 12V electrical problems_.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #3
Commercial Member

I would suggest you work from the other direction. Identify which fuses are for these items. Then with a test light check if they are getting power when the problem happens. It could be that the 12volt supply is the common factor. If so you can now work back that wire to the source of the problem.

However, if power is present when you have the problem, then the common is the ground side.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I finally had enough of the intermittent electrical problems and got to the bottom of it and made the required repair so I figured it would be good to post about it here.

I carefully observed all the symptoms and deduced it might be a bad relay. I sent the information to Newmar and a couple of days later they replied, independently indicating a suspected bad K5 relay or a defect in the board it is mounted on or a bad connection to that board. The board with the K% relay is located in the electrical bay below the driver's seat and accessed from the outside. Unfortunately the relay is soldered to the board so other than a bad connection, it would require a new circuit board.

At the Good Sam Rally in Phoenix I had a Newmar Tech come look at it and check the connections, all of which appeared to be okay. He also showed me what was required to change the board - a simple job of two screws and the connectors.

A little under $300 for a new board and about 15 minutes work and the new board appears top have corrected the problem. It has been in for about a month now and the problem appears to have gone away.
Old 04-06-2015, 03:04 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ron_H,
Good for you, congrats for finding the problem. It is always good when Newmar comes through. Their factory techs are unbelievably knowledgeable.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical