Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2015, 05:15 AM   #1

2006 Excursion Cat Engine Issues

I own a 2006 Fleetwood Excursion with 350 Cat Engine (C7) has anyone had excessive oil from breather tube that covers your towed vehicle. I am told this engine does not break in until around 70K miles and the rings have not seated yet, now have 45K. I have extended breather tube down which helps, any ideas.
browntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Check this thread

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f124/slob...ons-75260.html
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Mos

likely over full on oil. The Cats like to seek a level and the don't through much. You can either purchase or make a capture device for the slober tube. I built mine from a plastic drink jar between a pint and a quart in size. Drill a hole big enough for the slober tube, drill several air relief holes in the lid. get some steel wool to aid in capturing the oil. Place the slober tub in the jar lid 1/2" above bottom in steel wool, use zip tie under lid to hold the slober tube depth. Secure jar to frame or what you find(mine has a rock screen)with zip ties. Check every once in a while and clean and replace steel wool. NO MORE OIL ON BACK OF MH OR TOAD.

LEN
Old 01-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntom View Post
I own a 2006 Fleetwood Excursion with 350 Cat Engine (C7) has anyone had excessive oil from breather tube that covers your towed vehicle. I am told this engine does not break in until around 70K miles and the rings have not seated yet, now have 45K. I have extended breather tube down which helps, any ideas.
browntom,
First off, who ever told you that these engines don't break in 'till around 70k needs to be re-schooled. Todays engines, have all the "break-in" characteristics built right into them from the git-go. There is a slight "seating" of the rings when the engines are brand new but, based on the operating range of, light cruising, to extreme long distance grades, exhaust brake use on and off, and much more, your engine was "broke in" a long time ago.

Second, one of the very first things you need to check on is, do you have the correct amount of oil in your particular engine? You see, the oil level in a CAT is fairly critical. Most C-7 engines, be it a 300, 330 or, 350 HP version, utilize the shallow oil pan. Some may differ but, it seems by far, the majority are using the shallow pan. And that pan, coupled with that particular engine, is designed for 19 quarts of oil, PERIOD!

When the oil is changed, including the filter, not a drop more than 19 quarts is installed. And, if you or, the previous owner (if there was one) has not accurately marked the dipstick for the 19 quart oil level, then it must be done. Unless you have some problem with the operation of that engine, you will take care of 99.9% of that problem with that correction.

Now, it's been mentioned about extending your blow-by tube. Yep, that's a definite. The main and primary reason for doing that is, to reduce or, possibly eliminate the "coating" of the CAC and Radiator fins from blow-by oil film and the succeeding dust/debris that follows the coating. The result is a goo that coats and, eventually completely clogs those fins, resulting in higher operating temperatures for the engine.

Usually they (the higher operating temps) manifest themselves on grades, especially if the ambient temp is or, hovers in the higher ones like say, around 90 degrees or higher.

So, extending it, out to the back of the coach, if it IS still spiting out any fumes, will at least not coat the radiator and CAC fins. You might get a few droplets on the toad but, who cares, that's easy to clean off. The cleaning of the CAC and Radiator that is fully clogged is one serious pain in the a$$.

So, first things first, get that dip stick calibrated for 19 quarts, IF YOU'RE SURE YOU'VE GOT THE SHALLOW PAN! Then, if it's not been done, get your blow-by tube extended. Your problem SHOULD go away after the first one.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat