Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to needlenoses
Exclamation 2008 Bounder 35E - Stock Radio replacement

Has anyone tried to replace the stock radio/cd player. This is on a Ford F54 chassis; there are four square holes on the faceplate, and someone told me that there might be an easy way of popping this unit out by inserting something into these holes.. I hat the thing; very hard to read anything on the faceplate, and the cd skips on rough roads. I have a very nice replacement for it already.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to any Auto-Stereo shop. They have a wide selection of radios and they normally install free. And their prices are good.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The tool to remove a Ford radio can be fashioned out of a wire coat hanger.
Bend a 10" length of straight wire into a U shape that will fit in the left set of holes, then make another the for right 2 holes. Push both tools firmly into the holes to release the holding mechanism for the radio.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:58 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our '07 Bounder on the Workhorse chassis came with the tools to remove the radio - they were in with the satchel-full of docs for everything.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by needlenoses View Post
Has anyone tried to replace the stock radio/cd player. This is on a Ford F54 chassis; there are four square holes on the faceplate, and someone told me that there might be an easy way of popping this unit out by inserting something into these holes.. I hat the thing; very hard to read anything on the faceplate, and the cd skips on rough roads. I have a very nice replacement for it already.
There was a thread yesterday which showed a photo of the tool here
mystery items .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
The tool to remove a Ford radio can be fashioned out of a wire coat hanger.
Bend a 10" length of straight wire into a U shape that will fit in the left set of holes, then make another the for right 2 holes. Push both tools firmly into the holes to release the holding mechanism for the radio.
OK;that makes sense; will have to fine a coat hanger in the park here; ours are all plastic; second question sisnsw we are on a Christmas roll; wiring diagram for the radio harness; i can tone the speaker wires out, but it would be nice!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
OK;that makes sense; will have to fine a coat hanger in the park here; ours are all plastic; second question sisnsw we are on a Christmas roll; wiring diagram for the radio harness; i can tone the speaker wires out, but it would be nice!!!!!!
FW will be able to furnish you with that diagram 800-322-8216. Have your FIN handy

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
Crutchfield sells the wiring harnesses that plug in directly to the vehicle wiring. They MAY have some that will fit a motorhome. If the motorhome has Ford chassis wiring, they probably do. Look at the wires themselves, the purpose for each wire may be printed on the wire insulation.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Wlamart and other radio dealers sell plugs that will allow you to plug your radio into current harness. Just connect you radio wires to the new plug based on the includes instruction then plug the plug into the old connectors. Simple and straight forward plus you don't modify the wires on the coach, so if you ever wanted to install the old radio just unhook the new one and plug the old one in.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #10

harness

That would be an even better way to connect the new radio. I want to get all mt ducks in a row before I tackle thie while on the road. Thr radio I have to replace the original had it's own insert that I slide in the radio and it latches in place. Size of the hole may be an issue as well. Next step will be to find this harness plug in at wall-mart. Hope I can match up the connector on the chassis!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:39 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe the large Ford stock radio's are called double DIN radio's. Any after market radio shop or ebay should have the wire harness and the double DIN to single DIN size radio mount adapter.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #12

Smile Bounder Radio Replacement

Sorry about dead zone; but I have been off-line for a while; thanks to help here, I managed to form s couple of wires to slide out the stock radio. Allowed me to have a look at the wiring harness; no problem for me to wire in the new radio; wires are stenciled just fine; problem I have is that I will have to remove the mounting unit in the dash to get the new mounting unit in; there must be a unit I can get to use up the extra space left over as my new unit is the same size horizontally, but is almost half the size vertically. I am heading over to Palm Springs area on Monday, so hopefully will find a auto-audio place that can help me out with the install. The unit I am installing has a remote, so that may make thinks easier. Next project is to get rid of that TANK of a CRT TV overhead.

Thanks to all for the input.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 AM   #13

I haven't seen a late model Bounder but my 2002 dash has nothing to do with Ford. The spot that the radio mounts is just flat sheet metal. So the typical double DIN to single DIN adapters they sell are not going to work on a setup like that unless you figure out some alternative way of mounting it. They also sell plain black sheets of plastic to make custom filler panels but again I don't know if that will give you enough support if your setup is like mine. Might be worth buying another double DIN radio to replace it.