Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #1

2015 Itasca Sunstar with problems

Hi to all, we purchased our RV new and we've had it about a year now. We've taken it in for warranty service twice so far (actually the warranty runs out this month). We did purchase a 5 year extended warranty for mechanical issues however. I was wondering if anybody could comment on the number and types of problems we've had and if that is typical of a new RV. In the year that weve had it, the following problems came to light: shore power to DC power conversion unit failure causing house battery failure, city water backflows and overflows fresh water tank, color tv only shows black and white, outside body trim blew off in the wind, main door lock and deadbolt don't line up with the frame properly making it difficult to close and lock the door, it needs replacement or adjustment, received RV with a burned out headlight, bathroom pocket door jams and very hard to open once closed. Otherwise the rig has been very good. Does this sound typical and I'm just whining or is this more than a normal amount of problems? Thanks in advance for any input or help.
Hula Lula is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2015, 07:55 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I have never owned a brand new RV, but I do not think you are whining, you spent a lot of money for a new RV and it should work, I would ask the manufacturer for an extended warranty to cover the problems you've had, of course they will laugh at you, so before it runs out take your RV there and get it fixed they way it should be.

Some of the things that are wrong seem minor, but will aggravate you all the time, like the dead bolt and the bathroom door.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #3

Having worked at a major motorhome service department for a couple of years from 2003-2005 as a service advisor, I can say that almost every motorhome has a few warranty issues. Sometimes they are just "loose screw" issues as we called them. Other times we saw major flaws in design and construction. I'd say your issues are a bit more numerous and out of the ordinary based on my experience.

We've owned two new coaches in the past few years, a 2013 Newmar Bay Star and a 2016 Itasca Navion and each had a few minor issues which were resolved under warranty.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:06 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds to me like some of these issues are from not leveling the RV correctly. If you don't do it correctly you can twist the frame and cause these type of door issues.
Are these problems only happening when you are camping, ie set up with the slides out?

As far as the rest of the issues, get to the dealer ASAP before the warranty expires because they should all be covered.
Oh yeah, NO you are NOT whining You paid a lot for this and it should be right, not half ass.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:22 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 what SuperGewl said.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, problems