Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
2015 Tioga Ranger 31D Problem - Leans

Just bought a 2015 Tioga Ranger 31D. That's the bunkhouse model with a large slide on the passenger side. It leans to the passenger side about 2.5" as viewed over the wheel well. I am concerned that the outer tire could rub...and it looks ugly. Its brand new...so I doubt there is a problem with the E450 chassis...its plainly overloaded on the passenger side. I haven't weighed it yet. I fully expect the run around from Fleetwood. They requested I take it to an authorized dealer. I contacted one and ordered airbags with the remote compressor...hoping this will fix this issue. I am posting this for 3 reasons: 1) warn any other potential 31D buyers to check this out before buying 2) See if anyone else has had luck correcting a lean on a class C E450 chassis using airbags. 3) Keep people informed of how Fleetwood will handle the issue.

I have a long list of other issues I can share, such as the black tank vent pipe too low (horrible odor...noticed the toilet "burp" when filling the tank with the external wash with the dump valve shut and went to flush it from inside)...measured the gap between the tank bottom and pipe vent bottom to be 1" using a stiff tape measure...tank height is about 6"...pulled up the vent pipe and tank stopped burping and odor went away. Generator starter cable and rubber GAS LINE were routed up against the genset exhaust...thank God I noticed this and tied them back before it burned the whole damn coach down. If you are looking at Fleetwood Tioga Ranger shoot me an email so I can share some addl things to consider. swonuke@nc.rr.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0187.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	484.8 KB
ID:	93876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0125.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	93877  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0124.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	93878  
swonuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2015, 09:05 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

All buyers of 30+ ft Class C's ought to be aware that the chassis is pretty much maxxed out as it comes from the factory. Just too much body weight for the 14,500 lb GVWR of the E450 chassis. Not really surprising that they are prone to body lean, rocking, sway on the highways, etc.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 04:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I wanted to follow up for anyone who is interested. When I weighed the RV found out that the pass side rear wheel had an extra 480lbs over the driver rear. Total back axle was 200lb over the GVAWR. Submitted this to Fleetwood and they authorized repair via leaf springs. Found a good shop (FleetPride in Garner NC)....the service manager said the enti back was sagging. In fact, the RV dealer said he didnt have enough clearance to install the airbags! The spring shop added 3 springs to the pass side and 2 on driver. Raised it up 3-4" and leveled out the coach. Now I dont need the airbags and it rides great.

My advice to anyone who buys a large class C is to weigh the coach like I did before you buy it....I love this coach...but am concerned about long term imapcts of being overloaded slightly on rear axle....its not like I can turn it back in...but fix the springs before you try airbags.
swonuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Glad you got it fixed and that Fleetwood authorized the repair. It is a beautiful motorhome; I love the paint scheme on it. Now you can get out there and have fun!