Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I would be at the tire dealer on the first or second acceptable level, the third would absolutely cause the pucker factor to bunch my shorts!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Those were some pictures. I don't think a terrorist would drive his bomb car on any of those tires. Thats why I have Yokohamas. If any of those pictures looked acceptable to Michelin they sure didn't to me. My Michelins were 2003 and 56,000 miles with great tread. They had a wee bit of checking and that was good enough for me to say adios to them. 6 new 22.5s are cheaper than the damage one blown tire or seperated tread can cause. Who needs all the excitement, no stress.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 06:48 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm with Mike C. If it's cracked, it's gone.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Chalk Line Inflation Test...

I found this chalk line inflation test to be of interest:
Optimizing Tire Pressure
Of course, this would not be the only way to check inflation, but I will try this, after I air the tires, just to see how mine look after driving a few miles.

I also recall a post that showed photos of tires, looking from end to end, that showed over inflation and under inflation, but I am unable to find it now. I recall that the photos showed the amount of sidewall bulge that was proper.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just to be safe and not have to worry about your tires, simply look at the sidewall where it says max load and fill it to that pressure. You will not have any problems if you do that. I have used this method for over 100,000 miles all on 22.5s and have never had a problem. Look at all the posts about tire pressure and blow outs and if you want peace of mind or not. Anything less than the max cold inflation on the sidewall will build heat. Heat kills tires and a dead tire will put you in the ditch. I will never understand why so many people agonize over tire inflation.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
I feel better now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Just to be safe and not have to worry about your tires, simply look at the sidewall where it says max load and fill it to that pressure. You will not have any problems if you do that. I have used this method for over 100,000 miles all on 22.5s and have never had a problem. Look at all the posts about tire pressure and blow outs and if you want peace of mind or not. Anything less than the max cold inflation on the sidewall will build heat. Heat kills tires and a dead tire will put you in the ditch. I will never understand why so many people agonize over tire inflation.
I have always felt this was the way to go, but there is so much talk about going to public scales and weighing each axle and each axle end. It starts to scare a person. My dealer service manager told me to go with the max cold pressure and that I could not go wrong. It is refreshing to hear from (you) someone else that believes the same as my service manager. Thanks, Joe
Old 02-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
simply look at the sidewall where it says max load and fill it to that pressure. You will not have any problems if you do that.
You MIGHT have problems if you do that ... That could work well if your rig is loaded close to max weight (which many are). But if your rig has more tire capacity than it does axle capacity, and it is loaded light, inflating the tires to maximum pressure can cause handling problems, harsh ride and reduced traction. Why would I want to be running 120psi in all my tires when the mfg weight chart calls for 90 on rear and 95 on front based on my weight?
Old 02-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Your welcome Joe, Another interesting inflation problem was the one Ford Explorer had with lawsuits. All because Ford wanted the Explorer to have a good ride and recommended a low inflation pressure which led to blowouts and cost Ford millions.
It sounds like your service guy knows his stuff. Your lucky to find a good one.

YOU WON'T HAVE PROBLEMS, I WOULD BE AMAZED IF YOUR COLD MAX WAS 120LBS UNLESS THE ARE REALLY BIG FOR A BIG,HEAVY COACH

MY TIRES ARE 265/75/22.5 LOAD RANGE G AND SHOW 110PSI SINGLE OR DUAL
Old 02-20-2010, 08:21 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
This information is incorrect and should be completely ignored. Just because someone used the improper tire inflation and had no problems does not make the information correct. It's like saying that you played Russian Roulette and never had a problem. Just because things didn't go badly does not make it a good thing.
Before you take any dangerously bad information you should consult with the professionals.
RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida
Old 02-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There you go, i rest my case,
carry a spare !!!
Old 02-21-2010, 11:36 AM   #25
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
This information is incorrect and should be completely ignored. Just because someone used the improper tire inflation and had no problems does not make the information correct. It's like saying that you played Russian Roulette and never had a problem. Just because things didn't go badly does not make it a good thing.
Before you take any dangerously bad information you should consult with the professionals.
RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida
I agree totally!! I've had all four corners weighed and use 5 lbs more than Michelin recommends just to be sure if for some reason I lose some between checks.

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't want to appear brash and antagonistic, I do however can't understand how the tire manufacturers recomendation for max cold inflation pressure can lead to a failure. It can lead to a harsh ride,it can lead to uneven tire wear.
I don't think you can get any more professional advice than what the tire manufacturer has engraved on their own tire. If that information were incorrect they would be open for massive lawsuites.
To state that it is dangerous is reckless and without merit, perhaps you didn't understand what I stated. Please re read what I have said.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
It seems like the topics (besides tire pressure) that get crazy are batteries, solar panels and Walmart Parking. So far Walmart Parking is in the lead!

All I can say about tire pressure is that my Dealer's Service Manager appears in Video Training Films for Motorhome Care and seems to know what he is talking about. I was just talking to him and kidding him
(Feb 17th) about some of his videos "getting old". I told him, that I wanted to see some new stuff. He answered that all someone had to do was suggest a "topic of interest to many coach owners" and he would make one. Even though I am disabled and can't do any maintenance myself, I do like to watch the videos and see how things should be done. I couldn't think of a topic at the time, but after this tire pressure episode, that might be a good one.

BTW...my original post was about the chalk line method of determining where/how the tire is wearing. I did have a link to the site. I thought this was a really different and unique way to see what is happening to the tire and why. I have never seen this method mentioned before. When I read about it and looked at the photos it seemed to me to be an early indicator of what would happen to the tire during future use. IE, if the chalk is worn off on the edges only, then that is how the tire will wear. If it is gone from the center.....well, you get the idea. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks, Joe
Old 02-21-2010, 05:04 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
JOE, wheww, You are right, I think Wal Mart wins hands down for absoute agitation. I had to stop reading it, my blood pressure was rising at an incredible rate.

I did look at the chalk mark deal and it looked very interesting. I think it would work. I have a tread depth guage that I use to make sure everything is running correctly. Not wearing on one shoulder or the other and not wearing off the crown. I think the chalk would give you an immediate indication of how the tread will wear.
PS. I like your little dog. We just got a 1 year old 12lb rescue dog, terrier, maltese, poodle. They sure do change your life