Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
JOE, wheww, You are right, I think Wal Mart wins hands down for absoute agitation. I had to stop reading it, my blood pressure was rising at an incredible rate.

I did look at the chalk mark deal and it looked very interesting. I think it would work. I have a tread depth guage that I use to make sure everything is running correctly. Not wearing on one shoulder or the other and not wearing off the crown. I think the chalk would give you an immediate indication of how the tread will wear.
PS. I like your little dog. We just got a 1 year old 12lb rescue dog, terrier, Maltese, poodle. They sure do change your life
He is a wired haired Fox Terrier. He is 11 years old now, but still acts like a puppy. We have him groomed with what is called a "puppy cut." People always say, "what a cute puppy!" When I say he is eleven, they say, "eleven months...no wonder he is so full of energy." Of course then I have to say, no...11 years. He keeps me company because my wife still works. She likes her job so much that she can't think of not working. Ben (our dog) gets all excited when I pull up to our house with the coach. He starts barking because he really seems to want to get in and go somewhere. Yep, he has surely changed our lives!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

One of the important things about tires inflation pressure is getting 100% tread contact with the road for maximum traction in braking on dry and especially wet surfaces. Also the full contact patch is required for emergency maneuvers. If you put the max factory air pressure that is stamped on the tires you most likely will not have this designed 100% tread contact patch with the road and will be riding on a smaller contact patch on the middle of the tread. Yes, you are correct that the tire will not overheat due to under inflation but I can't believe that it will wear evenly. Driving a motorhome is hours upon hours of pure boredom that can be occasionally interrupted by a few moments of stark terror. Hopefully most will never have those few moments of stark terror and if you do then hopefully you can recover and continue on and be a little wide eyed for a while. Personnaly I want the correct tread contact patch on my tires for that moment if it ever comes or I hope that the MH in front of my wife and I or coming towards us has that correct tire contact patch so if it happens then we can be both a wide eyed for a while and continue on.

Those max tire pressures on the side of the tires are for max loading only as required to be stated by the government so people hopefully will not overload a tire and is not intended to be used in place of a factory tire pressure loading chart..

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:37 PM   #31

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
#1) Weigh your fully loaded coach at a "Cat" scales location. They are located at most Fyn-j's and many other locations. Simply drive on and wait for the attendant to reply. It's cheap and easy.

#2) Install a TPMS. I dont care which one, just get one.

#3) Do a visual walk around and "thump" test on every tire before each trip. Not the morning of, the day before.

#4) Call Michelin customer service line and discuss your particular situation. Have all the specifics ready when you call such as tire serial numbers, pressures you run, weights, etc. They are a very strong customer friendly company. I can vouch for the credits I received on a couple of blow outs a couple years ago. I still only run Michelins.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #32

I have had real world experience with driving with max tire pressure as stated on the sidewall of the tire with a light load ---IT CAN BE DANGEROUS AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED UNLESS YOU ARE CLOSE TO MAX WEIGHT. I pulled a 43ft 5er with an MDT Peterbilt 330 and had max pressure in the truck tires. I was in rain on a blacktop road west of gainsville, tx and the truck lost traction on several occasions as there was not enough tire print on the road to hold it in place. No, you will not blow out the tire but you can cause very bad tire wear problems. However, the most important thing is that if your footprint of your tires is not right (tire pressure too high for the load) you are putting yourself, your family and your equipment in very real danger. Tire dealers and tire store managers are only interested in selling tires and avoiding criticism for tire failure, and they know most folks dont do a good, regular job of checking tire pressure. Hence, they almost always advise that you inflate to max pressure and keep it there. Most of the time you are fine with this, just may wear out tires way before their time. BUT, in those few weather conditions you are in for trouble, and I have not even got into trying to stop in those conditions but that can be a real scarry ride. All of this is just my experience from over 20 years in the trucking business and personal experience with my rv. Take this or leave it, no need to bash me as I will likely not be reading it anyway. Do what ever you are comfortable with but please, if you blindly run to max pressure, do not drive on any wet roads, ever.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:50 PM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
I don't think motorhomes should be driven in rainy, windy or icy conditions. I know some people do it, but not me. That is time to be parked in a campground, wayside, truck stop or any safe place until the weather changes. Maybe I'm overly cautious in that regard, but that is how I feel.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #34

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Michelin built my tires. I'll go by their recommendations on proper inflation for my weight. Using that my coach rides and drives the best it ever has. I also use a tire pressure monitor that I use to frequently check the pressure.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:13 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's interesting that there are no posts about over inflated tires and the problems associated with it. But there are many many post about all kinds of tire failure. Even those singing the praises of certain brands because of their wonderful customer service in spite of experiencing blowouts with that brand. Gives one pause doesn't it.
As an aside, I have never seen a tire so overinflated that it rode on the center crown. Must have been a hell of a sight ! I can't imagine anyone so demented that they didn't think something didn't look right. Then again.........

PLEASE UNDERSTAND,THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BASH OR RIDICULE ANYONE AND SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN THAT WAY, IT IS MERELY AN OBSERVATION.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Chuck, on an overinflated tire you would not visually see the tire riding the center crown. If you could make a tire print based on pressure of the tread on the road you could see it. The center would be dark and as you went out it would be lighter.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike, you are right. azloafer made reference to site that recomended using a chalk mark across the tire, driving it a short distance and observing the wear pattern. It sounds like that would work.
I see from your picture you are a car guy, so lets add other variables to add to the equasion. Characteristics of bias verses steel belted, oversize tires tires on narrower rims, and rim pressure ratings. As was pointed out in one of the posts was an overinflated tire and the diminished size of the contact patch and the dangerous condition it created in the rain. I'll bet anything that the tire pressure was checked when the weather was pleasant and when the rain came the tire and road surface got cooler and probably dropped the tire pressure by 10 lbs. I use a tire pressure monitor and have seen these fluctuations. One thing that has not been addressed is common sense. There lies the whole problem. Have a great day. I think I will check out the Walmart parking post. They get really pissed over there.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:19 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Hurricane1 Send a message via MSN to Hurricane1 Send a message via Yahoo to Hurricane1
According to the Michelin Rep, Michelin tires have never had a blow out just a "Rapid Loss of Air!"
Hurricane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Chuck, on our professional drag cars we can vary the wheel spin at launch by changing the tire pressure by .2 lbs. We only have 5 lbs in the rear slicks to start with. We need a little spin off the starting line and if the track traction is too good we can up the tire pressure by .2 to .5 lbs and make them spin just enough. If the track traction is bad we drop them down to a pressure were we know we have a 100% contact patch.

The other way to check the MH tires is to use one of those hand held IR temperature guns that you can point to objects and read the temperatures. If the tire pressures are correct for the load then the temperaures of the outside and the middle of the tread will read pretty close to the same (you can never get them exact). If it is over inflated the temperature in the middle will be warmer than the outer treads. If it is under inflated the temperatures on the outer treads will be warmer than the middle. I have checked them after driving a straight line down an interstate with no large cross wind factor. Curves will through it off as will cross winds.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:33 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Jim, define rapid (lol). So there is no such thing as an explosion it is just rapid burning or rapid oxidation.

I do agree that there is probably some warning before it happens such as the tire temperature going up and the pressure going down and this maybe what Michelin is referring to in that video. When the tire goes the driver believes he has a blowout and that is all that really counts. I know that when the back inner tire went on my motorhome there was a lot of vibration when the belt started to come loose probably for 20-30 seconds before it went. I failed to pull over when I first felt the vibration. Even if I had pulled over I am not sure that I would have seen the problem on the inner tire. I did have a front tire on my car a few years ago that started to have belt separation. I felt that sudden vibration and pulled over right away and when I rubbed my hand across the tire looking for the problem I suffered some pretty bad cuts from the steel threads sticking out the edge of the tire from the zipper failure of the inner belt.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mike, it's good to know that you know what your talking about. Some of these discussions and solutions posts go round and round. It's like driving down the highway, each driver is driving at the perfect speed and each Motorhome owner has their tires at the perfect pressure. If you are going slower or faster or your pressure is up or down, you don't know what you are doing. The one I really like is Michelins pictures of what checking, cracking is acceptable. My level of what I find acceptable is zero. That is why I replaced my Michelins with Yokahama's. 100,000 plus miles in our Itasca without a tire or mechanical problem and I do ALL of my own work.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #42

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Mike, you are right. ......I see from your picture you are a car guy, ......
Not just a "car guy"..I believe he is a "professional" car guy...

Crew Chief Mike Canter, a Lockheed-Martin Software Engineer, provides expertise in all our systems and computer data recording program. He builds our 526 inch Carol Carter motors as well as sets up and maintains our Lenco transmission and handles the clutch set up. Mike retired from Lockheed-Martin this year (2008).

I believe I will take "professional" advice......from Michelin, Goodyear, and other "professionals"...(with exception, like others have said, I have a "zero tolerance" for cracking/checking or other visual defects)

mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote