Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrandusky View Post
could anyone give me any ideas about which tires to buy for my discovery 36t. my tires are now 8yrs old
I have been very happy with the Yokohama Super Steel (22.5") on my motor home. I have had them for 3 years now and no problems. They are very sturdy tire . they are even regroovable!

http://www.vulcantire.com/yok023_t.htm

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367 View Post

I have been very happy with the Yokohama Super Steel (22.5") on my motor home. I have had them for 3 years now and no problems. They are very sturdy tire . they are even regroovable!

http://www.vulcantire.com/yok023_t.htm
Benny,
Did you buy from VulcanTire.com? If so, did they ship to you or an installer? I see there are a number of online tire vendors and have wondered how easy or complex these transactions can be, particularly because you are dealing with two vendors instead of just one taking all the responsibility.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:55 AM   #17

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
The tire dealer & manufactures sell What?
Michelin does say replace at 10 Years. Don't think any other manufacture will even say change on a time bases.

Fast oil change places still say, every 3,000 change your oil.
And it has been years & years since any manufacture had that in a owners manual.

The idea of replacing tires due to age started outside the USA.
The 6 year recommendation is listed here:

"The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138

Google is you friend, but "dogpile web search" digs up the ...stuff.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Benny,
Did you buy from VulcanTire.com? If so, did they ship to you or an installer? I see there are a number of online tire vendors and have wondered how easy or complex these transactions can be, particularly because you are dealing with two vendors instead of just one taking all the responsibility.
No, I did not buy the tires online. My tires were replaced at the dealer where I bought my motorhome from. They used a mobile Truck tire installer to do it. They come to your location with their mobile tire shop and swap out the tires. The ultimate convenience!

Although I have never bought tires online, many of my friends in my Car club have and have never had a problem; you have the tires shipped to the tire dealer you are choosing to have your tires installed.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny367 View Post

Although I have never bought tires online, many of my friends in my Car club have and have never had a problem; you have the tires shipped to the tire dealer you are choosing to have your tires installed.
Thanks. I guess my concern is the fact that on more than one occasion, when buying new car tires, I have seen the installer roll four tires from the warehouse, begin installation, then discard one when he noticed a defect and roll another from the warehouse. In this case it's 'their' tire and their problem to fix at their time and expense. In the case of an online purchase it would be 'my' tire and my problem.

How common is the practice of shaving new tires into round? Worth the money if the shop offers it?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgrandusky View Post
could anyone give me any ideas about which tires to buy for my discovery 36t. my tires are now 8yrs old
If you have had 8 years service from the current tires why are you considering changing brand?
Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
So far the only tires I've read complaints about here are Michelin.
You've missed all the threads on GY blowouts and rivering?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
How common is the practice of shaving new tires into round? Worth the money if the shop offers it?
If the tire is that far out of round I don't want it on my vehicle. Never had to reject a Michelin for that and the tire shops I've dealt with say Michelins are the best at being round.
In all my years driving I've only had one blowout and it was a GoodYear.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:32 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldme View Post
The idea of replacing tires due to age started outside the USA.
The 6 year recommendation is listed here:

"The British Rubber Manufacturers Association (BRMA) recommended practice issued June, 2001, states "BRMA members strongly recommend that unused tyres should not be put into service if they are over six years old and that all tyres should be replaced ten years from the date of their manufacture."

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=138

Google is you friend, but "dogpile web search" digs up the ...stuff.
I wondered where that wrong info came from!
Notice that it says
Quote:
should not be put into service if they are over six years old
not that they should be replaced at six years!
Old 09-25-2013, 04:54 AM   #24

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I wondered where that wrong info came from!
Notice that it says not that they should be replaced at six years!
No wrong info there.

If you would look at the picture I posted of MY tires including to odometer you would see what I am talking about.

The tire dealer said 6 years was a new recommendation my many manufacturers. Not MY recommendation.

I did a simple search to help YOU find information.
There may be more information out there.

Search, if YOU are interested.

I have passed on my experience, with pictures.
Use as you see fit.

Additional info for a simple search:

ww.safetyresearch.net/2006/03/01/two-tire-makers/

Says in part:
"Tire age degradation hit the radar of safety advocates, regulators and members of Congress after the Firestone ATX / Wilderness recalls in 2000 and 2001, when experts concluded that age degradation played a role in the catastrophic failure of these tires. While the tire industry has known about the issue for decades, the problem initially gained traction in late 1980s after the publication of several German studies noting a disproportionate rise in failures once tires reach 6 years old. The studies recommended warnings and user-friendly date of manufacturer information on tires."

also

"The bulletins also claim that accurately predicting service life more precisely is not possible because of the wide range of conditions to which tires are subjected. Bridgestone-Firestone and Continental’s Technical Bulletins also defer to the vehicle manufacturers recommendations, which, in many instances, are 6-year tire life limits".

also

"Ford’s addition of a 6-year age limit to its owner’s manuals in 2005 gave an additional jolt to the Rubber Manufacturers Association (RMA), which continues to claim that there is no valid criteria for determining tire service life. In a recent presentation at a tire industry meeting, Ford research scientist Dr. John Baldwin claimed that the 6-year age limit was defendable and data driven, whereas Bridgestone-Firestone, Michelin, and Continental’s 10-year position were not supported by any data. Dr. Baldwin also noted that Ford was requesting a NHTSA Consumer Advisory recommending a 6-year age limit to avoid confusion among consumers. Safety Research & Strategies first requested NHTSA consider issuing a consumer advisory in November 2004. In May 2005, following Ford’s tire-aging recommendation, SRS asked the automaker to support SRS’ push for a federal Consumer Advisory."
Old 09-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
The tire dealer & manufactures sell What?
Michelin does say replace at 10 Years. Don't think any other manufacture will even say change on a time bases.

Fast oil change places still say, every 3,000 change your oil.
And it has been years & years since any manufacture had that in a owners manual.

I think the 10 years is a maximum age recommendation with possible replacement and inspection by tire company tech starting annually at 5 or 6 years.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I think the 10 years is a maximum age recommendation with possible replacement and inspection by tire company tech starting annually at 5 or 6 years.

My link here states WHO and When it was published.

The quotes in my statement are from here which I placed above:

http://www.safetyresearch.net/2006/0...o-tire-makers/
Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Continental HSLs for me ...replaced 2 of the original Michelin XZA2s after one developed an internal problem. Michelin gave me a little credit but dealer could not get the XZAs so I went with same size/load rated Continental. I since replaced the other 4, and recently replaced the first two after 7+ years. They wear, drive, and handle well. Now if they would just last 40 years or so maybe I could come close to wearing them out!
Old 09-26-2013, 04:32 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
We've been very, very happy with Toyo tires. Buy them in Oregon (at a Les Schwab dealer) and save on the sales tax!

Barb

Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires