Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 AM   #15
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i recently checked at COSTCO. even with the added price of having soemone esle install, they had the best price on Michelins.

Retired Army--Bob--2014 Tour 42QD
2015 GMC Canyon SLT Crew Cab 4WD
2001 Honda Goldwing
majfrizz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2010, 06:40 AM   #16
I am a Costco member and have bought Passenger tires from them. I never saw any large Truck tires there so I assume they are special order. How does one insure the tires you order will be New Stock? I have gone thru their batteries and had to dig to find recent manufacture ones not an easy process.
Are their prices good enough to warrant the hassle involved? Transporting, searching for Mounting, date check and perhaps refusal?
In the past I brought my rims to them and they mounted and balanced the tires. Those six tires were 16" and the rims were new Alcoas so it was not a major effort although still a pain. My Dynasty uses 295/75R22.5 I do not even think about how to accomplish that.
I am leaning towards Kumho or original Goodyears (don't need them yet, just getting information).

2001 Monaco Dynasty
Barrier2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #17
Yesterday I purchased 6 new tires. I compared Sams Club, Camping World, and a commercial tire dealer. Camping world was about $3150 for all six plus tax but they only carry Goodyear. I passed on Camping world as my past experience hasn't been tremdous, and they were Goodyears. Sam's club was about the same price but they did not change the valve stems and they balanced them with sand.

I took both quotes to the tire dealer where I purchased 6 Michlins for $3311. including tax. The tire dealer had a state of the art large wheel balance. They replaced the valve stems, and they are putting nitrogen in the two front tires at no charge. So I'm very happy with my deal the XZE2+ 18 tires were $449 each. What I didn't think about until now is that the other quotes did not include sales tax!

I was going to put nitrogen in all tires but then I read reviews that convinced me it was not worth the money. The tire dealer offered it free in the front tires. That way we could experience it and decide if it was worth putting in the a tires.

I had already decided to go with the tire dealer for two reasons. One was that they are across the street from our ownership RV resort. I can have them replace air or nitrogen before each trip. I also wanted fresh tires. There is no guarantee that you'll get fresh tires at Sam's or Camping world. The tire dealer has no choice on dates when they get them from the distributor but they told me they would bring in new ones if they were not fresh.

When I started this message I was thinking it wasn't all about price. What I realized while writing this is that I actually paid less at a commercial tire company and I got more. The company in Ted Wiens in Las Vegas if you are interested.

2005 Dutch Star 40'
vegascouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
My original tires were Michelin 295-80-22.5 load range G. Severely cracked after six years and two dealers I visited guessed the brand before the brand was mentioned!!!

Prior to buying I researched Goodyears, Bridgestone, Yokohamo, TOyo, and others. I ended up going with 11R-22.5 RY-023 Yokohamos in Load Range H, I selected the Yoko's primarily because they were "in stock" and were more than $150 less than Goodyears or Bridgestones. The RY-023 is a direct replacement for the XZA and XZE.

Also the 11R22.5 size is a standard truck tire size and load capacity is 6000 lbs in dual and 6600 in single, which is way more capacity than what I weight or need. The 295-80's were special order. The 11R's are 1/4 inch smaller diameter than the 295's which is as I recall was 504 vs. 501 revs per mile. The big advantage is these are a standard tire size and are readily available.. hence no extra cost for speciallity RV tires.

All tires were mounted, balanced, new stems, and all lugs were torqued, vice using an impact wrench. Cost for six tires was just under $2400 including FET, sales tax, disposal fees, ect. Also, a six year guarentee against any sidewall cracking and road hazard replacement. I have no connection to this company, but I used SpeedCo which is nation wide company speciallizing in truck oil changes and tire services,. This company had the tires in stock and had excellent equipment for mounting, balancing, torquing, ect...
Roadking - Homeless, full time, wandering gypsies
Winnebago Ultimate Advantage
Harley and Honda Civic
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:35 PM   #19
I about had a heart attack when I heard what Goodyear and Michelin wanted for so-called RV 295/75/22.5 tires on my HR Imperial. Went with OHTSU's all the way around for half the money. They are a premium Japanese large truck tire company owned by Sumitomo, not a Chinese tire. Had them all balanced, excellent tires, ride wonderful. The Michelin and Goodyear hype is all BS. Go with these or the Yoko's and save yourself at least a thousand bucks.
2000 HR Imperial 40' DP w/350 Cummins
AFE air cleaner & AeroTurbine muffler
Koni FSD's all around
Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #20
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My coach came with 22.5 Michelin XZA2s that were still in great condition after 7 yr and 40k miles. I could not get Michelin in the right size & load range, so replaced them with Continental HSLs. I have 10k on them, and they ride and handle great ... and the cost was apx $100 less per tire than the XZA2's would have been.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #21
Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by faye View Post
we just bought one michelin 22.5 from a local dealer in ga. and paid $365.00 to use as a spare, did not have it mounted.
What size? Costco quoted me $565 per tire for Michelin 295/80/22.5, unmounted.
Jaime & Dave (and our 3 cocker spaniels)
2005 Alpine Coach 36FDTS w/ 2009 Honda CR-V, Doran TPMS, Roadmaster Towbar, US Gear Braking
Dave and Jaime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #22
Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
You don't have to worry about Toyo Charlie. Since Country Coach installed Toyo's that were undersized for their coaches and sued Toyo for failures, Toyo backed out of the RV market.

My question is why in the heck do rv's use 22.5 instead of standard 22?
Just because they don't market them as RV tires, doesn't mean you can't get them. We have them on our coach and replaced the front tires with the same because we have gotten good service from them.

Barbara & David O'Keeffe
Figment II (Alpine 2002 36 MDDS)
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #23
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by Elkhartjim View Post
My question is why in the heck do rv's use 22.5 instead of standard 22?
The only 22 inch tires I'm aware of are the ones with no sidewall that you put on your Escalade for cruising around the malls - I don't think they have the load rating to carry a motorhome around...
Alan Hepburn - San Jose, Ca
2007 Bounder 35E being pushed by a 2008 smart fortwo Passion
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
The only 22 inch tires I'm aware of are the ones with no sidewall that you put on your Escalade for cruising around the malls - I don't think they have the load rating to carry a motorhome around...
Well finally someone noticed. Now Alan, you have to admit, tooling around on low profile tires would be so cool.
Jim with Judy
08 38' Bounder DP
Toads: 08 Jeep Wrangler Sport; 11 Chevy Malibu
Elkhartjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #25
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
My coach came with 22.5 Michelin XZA2s that were still in great condition after 7 yr and 40k miles. I could not get Michelin in the right size & load range, so replaced them with Continental HSLs. I have 10k on them, and they ride and handle great ... and the cost was apx $100 less per tire than the XZA2's would have been.
I just replaced the front GY with Continental HSL II H rated on our '06 HR Endeavor. Don't have many miles on them but very pleased. Much smoother and quieter than the GY (275 80R) they replaced and less than the RV tires from GY and Michelin.

Based on prior experience I really had Michelin in mind but was open to other options. Southern Tire handles only truck and bus tires from Bridgestone, Michelin, Yokohama, Continental and some others. They quoted me the Michelins but asked me why I was so hot on Michelins and suggested I consider the Yokohama's and Continental tires. I asked them if all were in stock or old date codes and he showed me both and both were current date codes that coincided with the Michelins. His preference was the continental tire for the smoothest ride. I ended up with the Continentals with an out the door price of $786 for the pair. This included mounting and balancing and they bought my old tires.

I still like Michelin but think their RV tires are way overpriced and offer no advantage over the Yokohama's or Continentals. The GY's were pretty quiet but am amazed how much quieter the Continentals are and the improvement in ride quality. I agree with one of the posters that said the GY and Michelin hype is BS.

Dawn and Mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:21 PM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
Thank you to every one who has responded.
I have a friend who owns a trucking company and a truck shop. He says he has better luck running BFG's on his trucks(wearing, driving, and riding). He can also sell them to me for $352 each installed. They are fresh dates not tires that have laid around.
Does any one have any good, bad, or in between to say about these. Seems like a good deal to me.
Thank You
Monaco Dynasty
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Click & Clack

There are two brothers that are supposed to be vehicle experts and they have a weekly column in the Arizona Daily Star entitled Click & Clack. Some years ago they stated that rotating tires is a waste of money. They claim that if there is any increase in tire life, it so minor, that in the end, the owner has spent more money because of the cost of rotation. They said that car dealers and repair shops push rotation because it is an easy money maker. After I read that, I asked the mechanic about the article at the shop I have gone to for over 20 years. He said, don't say I told you, but they are right. That's when I stopped rotating my car tires. If I don't rotate my car tires...why would I rotate my coach tires?

I know...I know... I have friends who consider rotation as necessary as breathing! Just relating my experience and the word of experts. No flames please.
2008 Itasca Latitude 39W. Cummins ISB 6.7 Turbo 340HP. Allison 6 Speed. Freightliner XCS. Michelin XRV 255/80R 22.5 LRG. SuperSteer MCU. Safe-T-Plus.
azloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #28
Fleetwood Owners Club
Check out this site for what looks to be some decent prices. I'm considering the Yokohama as a replacement for my Michelins on the stearing. Does anyone have experience with this tire?

Tire Hotline discount truck tires

The statement that keeps coming to my mind is that most RV tires have to be replace due to aging, not mileage. If it is a strong tire and runs true does it really matter if it doesn't get as many miles?

David & Gail Salisbury, NC
2003 American Eagle 42'
denochs is offline   Reply With Quote