Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
csp

Monaco Owners Club
22.5 tires replacement info or help

I saw a previous thread about this once before but I could not find it. I need to replace my front tires (275-80-22.5). It has Michelin tires on the back and they are fairly new. I like Michelin tires but I know they are more expensive. Should I go back with Michelin tires or should I look at other tire brands? What is a reasonable price for two front tires installed? What is the best way to balance the tires. If anyone knows a good place near West central Indiana to buy the tires I would also be interested.
Thank You
Chris
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2010, 08:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stay with Michelin.
Lakeman1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #3

If you have had good service from your Michelins I see no reason to go with another brand.
Cost? I replaced the Goodyear front tires on my Phaeton in November 2007. The cost was $1027.
If your area is anything like North Central Texas most big rig tire dealers won't have the equipment to balance your tires. They use Equal or equivalent. I don't recommend it as I had a terrible shimmy with it and had it removed.
You may not even have to balance them. I went to a Michelin seminar and the speaker said it's not necessary on 22.5 inch tires. I believe him because mine drove fine without balancing after I had the Equal removed.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would think the bigger the tire the less RPM it will rotate at a given speed. Maybe 22.5" is big enough that at our speeds we don't need to balance them. That would be great.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:10 PM   #5

I purchased my 22.5 tires from Costco. They don't mount so I called the local truckstop and got the name of the person that does their road service. He came to me and mounted the tires .I did not balance and have no problems.
BOB
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
For what it's worth, I have always been told not to mix tire brands because of tire rotation
RV4Me4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You don't want to mix brands on the same axle, so if you are going to rotate then don't mix. Brand is different from type of tire. Don't mix type at all, same Axel or not.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm hearing some great things about Hankook Tires. A lot of truck lines are now using. The reports I've read talk about how much smoother and a truer tracking. I have them. I have no personal experience but I will definitely look at them when I need to re-tire.

About rotating tires...why do we do it? To increase tread life, right. Do you know anyone that wears out tires on a motorhome before they need to be replaced due to age? Rotated or not!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The advice that I received was to balance the front tire and to not rotate them. In 80% of the cases (perhaps even more) RV tires are replaced for age not wear so unless you have some sort of an alignment problem, there should be no need for rotation.

My $.02 worth.

Charlie

P.S. I'd stick with the Michelins. I did some shopping when I bought our first set. The Goodyears that I could get were a different profile than the Michelins and I was worried about heat build up on the duals. There was only one Toyo dealer in our area and, after talking with him, I decided that I didn't want him any where near our MH. That kinda made my decision for me.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
. There was only one Toyo dealer in our area and, after talking with him, I decided that I didn't want him any where near our MH. That kinda made my decision for me.
You don't have to worry about Toyo Charlie. Since Country Coach installed Toyo's that were undersized for their coaches and sued Toyo for failures, Toyo backed out of the RV market.

My question is why in the heck do rv's use 22.5 instead of standard 22?
Old 01-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #11
csp

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like I should stick with the Michelin tires. What is a good price for them? Is it a good idea to rotate or not. I can do it myself; that is not a problem if it should be done. How many miles should it be done at and should I rotate just like a 1 ton(meaning where to place the tires when rotating)?
Thank You
Chris
Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 PM   #12

I have seen lots of threads recommending COSTCO.

Haven't tried them, don't live near one.
MikeandClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by csp View Post
Sounds like I should stick with the Michelin tires. What is a good price for them? Is it a good idea to rotate or not. I can do it myself; that is not a problem if it should be done. How many miles should it be done at and should I rotate just like a 1 ton(meaning where to place the tires when rotating)?
Thank You
Chris

we just bought one michelin 22.5 from a local dealer in ga. and paid $365.00 to use as a spare, did not have it mounted.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:38 AM   #14

elkhart jim, 22.5 wheels are pretty much the standard and have been for years on over the road truck, bus apps. with the exception of some 24.5's
jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote