Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #85

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
oopps - clarification

Just to clarify my post/suggestion about getting a non-window regular old air conditioner... the OP was about needing power to run AC for dogs when humans not present in RV and I guess them selves at night... and they said mom had a garage outlet they could use ( i think he said 20 amp) so they couldnt run ac in rv off of it and were looking at other options... so when I said I thought mom had 20 amp I was referring to the garage outlet they said they can use, not the 30 amp dryer outlet they were asking about.... and was suggesting buying a room ac to solve problem without dealing with outlet issues. Ok thats it. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmvt View Post
Seems to me an easy solution may be to get a portable air conditioner for under 300 bucks (no need to be IN a window but does require to be ventilated out one.. seems easy enough) at home depot

7,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier Function (67 Pints/Day) and Remote Control-LP0711WNR at The Home Depot

Specs say: Amperage (amps) : 7.6 A which is low enough to run other things in the RV also... like tv and lights, though it may be wise not to run high amp stuff like convection oven etc at same time....but for when you are not in the unit (for the dogs) and when you are sleeping, why not? I thought I read moms outlet was 20 amp.

And definitely have the high amp rated extension cord not the cheap ones.

Thats what I would do, then I would have that AC handy for future similar scenarios. :-)

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #86

Monaco Owners Club
Yikes. I'm with ken and james. This isn't brain surgery, and anyone who can read the duirections i posted can pick a perfectly safe 30 amp 115 circuit off a dryer plug.

and electricians are not Gods. They are high school (not college) graduates who pay union dues....

They do not nessesarily know squat about rv wiring, tho most arwe possibly quite qualifies to spout nec codes and need for permits....

1 hot, 1 nuetral, 1 ground (which can be the box itself) = a perfectly safe connection.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #87

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I'll do some research on adapters and post my findings here.
K.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #88

Fleetwood Owners Club
JimM68.....I hope you are not referring to me. I never said I was a God. I graduated high school, Marine Corps boot camp Paris Island, and College. I think quite an insult to say anything about just a "high school graduate" like they are stupid or something.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #89

Fleetwood Owners Club
By the way, never worked for a Union either.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:26 PM   #90

Fleetwood Owners Club
Also, fuses and circuit breakers are two different things, but you went to college so you are smarter than the rest of us.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:38 PM   #91

And the box has to be properly grounded. :-)
Old 05-17-2012, 03:43 PM   #92

Fleetwood Owners Club
Concur
Old 05-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #93

I have a basic electricity question. In my power panel, I have the black wires going into the breaker switches, and the white AND copper wires going to the aluminum ground bar. Where is the neutral? Better yet, What is the difference between a Ground and a Neutral? Is there a voltage or some kind of power potential difference between the two?
Old 05-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #94

A shorter clarification...

my last post was long this one not so much.

To some the understanding of power, engineering the installations and performing work with it is simple stuff, while to others it is complicated and deadly.

No disrespect meant, but some folks just do not have a clue, I would not trust my doctor to wire an extension cord but I trust his abilities to do his trade.

There are plenty of simple instructions that can be used to do many things but different folks may or may not be able to understand the intent.

The OP asked if a 30 amp MH could be powered by a dryer outlet.

The short answer is maybe, there is 120 VAC available and it should support the load.

Since the question was asked one may assume the OP was not sure of the configuration of the outlet or have a good understanding of general wiring guidelines.

But unless the exact configuration of the outlet in question is known there would be no way to simply state yes you can as the neutral and safety grounds are not known without actually opening the outlet and confirming exactly how it is wired.

So it may be able to power the load CAPACITY but maybe NOT in code for the end device (120 VAC with neutral AND safety ground)

There are a lot of opinions here, some good, some risky.

It is fair for anyone to ask these types of questions, but all of us need to insure we advise of the risk and suggest further investigation before action whenever it seems warranted.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #95

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat View Post
I have a basic electricity question. In my power panel, I have the black wires going into the breaker switches, and the white AND copper wires going to the aluminum ground bar. Where is the neutral? Better yet, What is the difference between a Ground and a Neutral? Is there a voltage or some kind of power potential difference between the two?
Ground and neutral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 05-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire Wrat
The neutral is the white and the ground is the bare copper...
The ground and neutral are bonded (tied together) at the first location after the transformer. You should also see a ground wire going to the metal pipe if you have a metal pipe bringing water to your house.
After that you get into electricity, you have to watch out for some of those military guys as they learned hole versus electron flow. :-)
Old 05-17-2012, 09:55 PM   #97

Fleetwood Owners Club
The military paid for my electrical school after I retired as an Avionics Tech. So if anyone wishes to take a shot at military trained electricians, that is not me. I think the Avionics training I received in the Corps was top notch, can't imagine electrical training being any different. And to all those who have s college degree, thank a vet, they provided you with that freedom, even though some of those vets only graduated high school or less.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #98

Fleetwood Owners Club
No offense, just stirring the pot so to speak, it is what we men do:.)