Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlGeo View Post
NO, NO you do not plug a 50 amp into a dryer receptacle. A dryer receptacle is 220 VOLTS. A 50 amp RV plug is a 110 VOLT, and they are not compatible!
The dryer outlet can be rewired by a qualified electrican, but DO NOT plug a 30 amp OR a 50 amp into a dryer receptacle.
A 50A RV plug is TWO 120V legs limited to 50A each. Folks really should not post in this kind of thread unless you know what you are talking about.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
The dryer outlet lacks the neutral.
Modern code requires the neutral. So, it depends.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This is easily done. It can be done safely if you can follow directions. And yes, 30 amps will be available to you.

Step #1:
At your mom's house, is the dryer outlet (which is female) a 3-prong or a 4-prong receptacle?

Step #2: I won't go there until you answer step 1.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #74
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
You know, I read this stuff and I still think this is not something for just anyone to try. Many of you give the false impression that this may be an easy task. It may be for you and innocent to recommend, but many people out there have never tackled anything as complex as well as dangerous as an open electrical panel. All someone has to do is forget one simple step you have recommended such as "SHUT OFF THE MAIN BREAKER TO THE PANEL" before they stick a screwdriver in there and it's all over!
Maybe the adapter plug that plugs into the dryer plug is an idea that can work as the plug in is protected by a breaker.
I personally don't think this is the forum to make these kind of recommendations as we don't know who will actually attempt to do this and what their skill level is.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
OMG, again know just enough about electricity to be dangerous. Find a licensed Electrician, pay him to do job. If he like me, he has 690 hours education, 8000 hrs apprentice, 30 hours continuing education and a license. Those are minimum requirements. If some house is wired with 12 awg and then 14 awg, it better be a 15 amp breaker, if not, better call Holmes on homes. If they admit they are not Electrician, disregard the post. Why risk the RV, the in-laws house, shock, fire or anything else?
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Seems to me an easy solution may be to get a portable air conditioner for under 300 bucks (no need to be IN a window but does require to be ventilated out one.. seems easy enough) at home depot

7,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner with Dehumidifier Function (67 Pints/Day) and Remote Control-LP0711WNR at The Home Depot

Specs say: Amperage (amps) : 7.6 A which is low enough to run other things in the RV also... like tv and lights, though it may be wise not to run high amp stuff like convection oven etc at same time....but for when you are not in the unit (for the dogs) and when you are sleeping, why not? I thought I read moms outlet was 20 amp.

And definitely have the high amp rated extension cord not the cheap ones.

Thats what I would do, then I would have that AC handy for future similar scenarios. :-)
cmvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #77

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by milasman View Post
Being an Electrian, I would say some of you know just enough to be dangerous!

Here Here!
If you know what your doing then go ahead. If you don't find out or hire a pro. But don't try to sift through this thread to understand. There is enough misinformation here to make everything worthless. Remember just because someone’s logon reads like he knows doesn't mean he does. If you don't know the credentials personally of the guy you take advice from then the information isn't any good.

I'm not saying any of the posts are good or bad, I'm saying YOU DON'T KNOW. Be carefull and know your sources before you act, and most of all understand what your doing. After it's over is not the time to find out who was right.

A board like this isn't the place to get this kind of advice.
Dick
Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Concur
milasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Remember...the information you find on the internet is worth exactly what you paid for it....NOTHING?

KEN
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #80

Forest River Owners Club
I think if you do a search, all electric dryers require a 30 amp protected circuit. This means the use of a double 30 amp breaker with a tie between the two toggle levers of the breaker. Any current draw in excess of 30 amps, whither it is hot to hot or hot to neutral, will trip the breaker.

NEC requires that all new electric dryer installations be done using a NEMA 14-30 plug/receptical, which is a 4 bladed connection - two hots, a neutral and a ground. The old three bladed plug NEMA 10-30 plug/receptical is no longer acceptable on new installations. It is still allowed in old installations only if a separate ground wire is used.

Now, the NEMA 14-50 plug/receptical used on stoves and RV's is not interchangeable with a NEMA 14-30 plug/receptical -ON PURPOSE - to prevent a 30 amp device from being plugged into a 50 amp service. The ground blade on a NEMA 14-30 plug/receptacle is a "L" shaped blade while the NEMA 14-50 plug/receptical ground is a straight blade.

So, what does this mean? A 50 to 30 amp dogbone will not work. A special adapter would need to be made.

Checkout NEMA connectors in Wikipedia for more information on NEMA plugs/recepticals.

Rick
Rjhuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:09 PM   #81

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Even a licensed electrician can cause problems. We had one here at work, the finally started calling him "Sparky" and he lived up to it. I was present at one such "event". He survived but he did get "bit" good.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #82
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Done with this thread! Can't be part of advice I don't believe in.

Electricity shouldn't be messed with! Not something for the un-trained!
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Remember...the information you find on the internet is worth exactly what you paid for it....NOTHING?

KEN
No TRUER words have ever been spoken!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:39 PM   #84

The OP wanted to plug 30 A 120 Volt RV plug into 30 A dryer outlet by making adapter.

A 30 A dryer outlet will supply ....30 amps.

He is not connecting 50 A 220 RV volt plug. He is not changing the outlet or doing anything hot. He is not changing his mom's wiring.

How did this get so far off topic?
jamesgr81 is offline   Reply With Quote