Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #1

220 dryer plug to 30A?

I'm sure this has been covered,, but I couldn't find a thread here.. So if you can point me in the right direction,, or answer my question, thankyou... I need to plug my 30A plug into a dryer (220V) outlet when we visit the DW Mom's house... It never triped a breaker plugging in to a regular 20A outlet,, but running the AC out west,, the plugs of my heavier extension cord were melting ... The cord never got hot... This is running the ac, as it's out west... My only option I figure is to get a regular heavy RV type extension cord,, and plugging in to a heavier type outlet... What do you recomend ??? Modifying her Mom's wiring is out of the question... Don't think the neighbors wanting us running the generator (me neither) all day...
I already have a 30A to 20A adapter,, I use to keep things running in the garage,,, but of course no AC... Idea's ???? Thanks bunches,,,, Darel
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
I need to plug my 30A plug into a dryer (220V) outlet...
No, you do NOT want to do this....

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
No, you do NOT want to do this....
I understand that,,, just wondered if there was an adapter made where I could.... Thanks...
Old 05-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
NO! NO! NO! You will do more than pop a breaker, you very well may burn your rig up or fry the electric system.
The dryer outlet provides 220volt. Your shore power cord is 110 volts. The dryer plug gets 2 legs of 110 volt a ground and Neutral. It may be 30 or 50 amp but it's still 220 volt.
You can get a heavy duty RV 30amp extension cord and plug into the garage outlet still only 20amp but will run one A/C. Just make sure nothing else is on that same circuit or at least very little else.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
NO! NO! NO! You will do more than pop a breaker, you very well may burn your rig up or fry the electric system.
The dryer outlet provides 220volt. Your shore power cord is 110 volts. The dryer plug gets 2 legs of 110 volt a ground and Neutral. It may be 30 or 50 amp but it's still 220 volt.

Thanks again,,, but I know Not to plug into a 220 V ... Just wondered how to run our AC from a house not wired for it... D
Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Don't, I repeat, don"t plug your 30 amp in a dryer receptacle. Adryer runs on 220 volts and that would frry everything in your rig. Ifyou have a 50 amp cord, you can plug it in a dryer receptacle, but not a 30.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
Don't, I repeat, don"t plug your 30 amp in a dryer receptacle. Adryer runs on 220 volts and that would frry everything in your rig. Ifyou have a 50 amp cord, you can plug it in a dryer receptacle, but not a 30.

Ok,, fine,,, that would work if I can get a 50A to 30A adapter,,, then could we plug into a dryer outlet ????
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
Ifyou have a 50 amp cord, you can plug it in a dryer receptacle...
Only once - then you'll be busy calling the fire dept and dealing with the insurance company...

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:46 PM   #9

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Monkey,
Just trying to be helpful, none of the adapters will provide the power you need it will physically allow you to do it but cause major damage.

You can get a heavy duty RV 30amp extension cord and plug into the garage outlet still only 20amp but will run one A/C. Just make sure nothing else is on that same circuit or at least very little else.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If you have an electrician that you know, ask him/her if they could make up a "special cable and receptical that would pull one leg of the 30 amp from the dryer outlet to power your moho. It can be done, but since you are asking here, you may not feel comfortable in making such a cable. If you explain to the electrician what you are up against, he can make what you need to be powered and safe, not the best way to do this, but it appears you are limited in your options. Other option would be to have an electrician install the proper 30 amp outlet at DW's Mom's house
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
You absolutely do not want to do this!
You'll melt your whole RV's electrical system!

The 30 amp dryer plug is 2 hots and a neutral.

you need 1 hot, neutral, and ground.

So, with all the disclaimers out of the way...
It's possible to make what you need.
Looking at the dryer outlet, the bottom round terminal is nuetral.
The 2 flat blades are different phases on 110 v. (both together = 220v)

The RV plug...
The round connector is ground (as is any screw on the dryer outlet box)
With the round connector of the female socket on the bottom, the left flat connector is neutral, same as the round one on the dryer plug.
And the right flat connector is 110v, same as either (but NEVER BOTH) of the flat connectors on the dryer plug.

Now you will never find a factory built adapter like this, because the dryer 220v connection comes of a dual 30 amp fuse, and with only one hot in use, you have no protection on the circuit. Proceed at your own risk. Remember, if you put 220 volts to your rv, you will blow things up. Poswsibly the transfer switch. For sure the converter or converter/inverter if equipped, very probably the EMS system too. Potentially very expensive.

Might be smarter to find a 15 or 20 amps circuit you can reach with an extention cord, and don't use your air conditioning.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Monkey,
Just trying to be helpful, none of the adapters will provide the power you need it will physically allow you to do it but cause major damage.

Thankyou very much... Guess thats the answer I was looking for... We stay there a few days,, so far,,, guess I could ask to wire a 30A plug in the garage,,, D
Old 05-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #13

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
If you do wire a new garage RV plug or have an electrician do it, make sure it's a 30 or 50amp single pole breaker. 1 hot, 1 neutral and 1 ground.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #14

even if there is an adapter available I don't think it is going to help you. I am guessing that the adapter would just use one hot and one neutral. And even if it did it would only get you 15 or 20 amps, nt the 30amps you are looking for.