Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
2 weeks and your chassis battery is run down? Wow, my MH typically sits for 4-5 weeks between trips and I never have a problem. Granted, mine is an older coach ('88), so there are fewer parasitic drains, but 2 weeks sounds extreme to me. I do have a battery disconnect switch on the negative post, but only use it if I will not be using the MH for an extended period (6+ weeks).

Here's another option for charging the chassis battery that costs next to nothing: Most RVs have an emergency start switch that links the house & chassis batteries. Find the relay that the switch activates and, using a short section of wire with 2 alligator clips, jumper from one side to the other, linking the chassis & house batteries together for charging.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1: Filling batteries: There is a system called "Quick Fill" or "Auto Fill" that lets you hook up some plumbing so you can fill the batteries from a "remote" fill point, Very nice system, many use it, I do not at this time but I may get one.

2: That is what stabilizer jacks are for, to stop the rig from a-rockin (If the rig's a-rockin, don;'t come a-knockin)

3 Trick--L-Start adds that feature to reigs that do not have it. One time hook up. no need to mess with clips.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #17

O'Reilly Auto parts sells a battery filler for about $10.00 . Put distilled water in it, put its spout into the fill hole and press down and hold until water stops flowing. The filler automatically stops the water at the correct level. I have one and it works well. It is very old technology that service stations used when I started driving in the 1950s.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-10-06-13-19-55.png
Views:	44
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	47351  
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
doc

Appalachian Campers
I believe the OP said the filler caps were very hard to get to didn't he?
Old 10-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #19

Herads up on waterings system and Interstate 4d-XHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have two pairs of batteries. One impossible to view the level and difficult to get to with a battery fill bottle. Solution was a battery fill system. One time install then just connect a hose with bulb pump from jug of water to the fill system. A few squeezes of the bulb and its done (the bulb becomes hard and won't squeeze to let you know it's done). Literally a 30 second easy job.
Heads up on watering systems if you have Interstate 4D-XHD house batteries, see post 3 in the thread below.

Batteries
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
I have two pairs of batteries. One impossible to view the level and difficult to get to with a battery fill bottle. Solution was a battery fill system. One time install then just connect a hose with bulb pump from jug of water to the fill system. A few squeezes of the bulb and its done (the bulb becomes hard and won't squeeze to let you know it's done). Literally a 30 second easy job.
Same system for me. I could see inside the cells but my face was almost touching them while doing so. Not a cheap fix ($150 simoleans) but worth it to me. Spell check lost it's s*%~ with simoleans.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTWERKE View Post
I'd be surprised if a 2000 Pace arrow didn't have a BIRD to charge both batteries on shore power, my 2000 dutch star has one. my old 89 southwind didn't have one, but I used a trickle charger like vsheetz recomended.

My 1996 PA Vision charges chassis and house batteries off shore power. I don't think the chassis battery should discharge in 2 weeks when disconnected. There is either a drain or the battery is bad.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #22

Thanks for all the great tips. I will check into the battery watering system, the factory or a dealership did a real bad job putting the house batteries in, I have to remove a hold down bracket to check the one hole they manage to get it over the cap. Going to get me a mirror(need one anyway)for right now. It's been about 5 months since I check them and since I am on shore power more than anything else, just don't want to ruin them. I will raise it up till the jacks max out tomorrow and see if that does it, I am sitting on a concrete pad, just really don't like getting the wheels off the ground, if the jacks will raise it that high. Again thanks..
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Most coaches will not raise the rear axle off the ground because that's the only axel with brakes. If not needed to level the coach (which it is sometimes) it's not necessary to raise the front tires off the ground, just take all the slack out of the suspension. Oh, always point the coach East
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:02 AM   #24
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
O'Reilly Auto parts sells a battery filler for about $10.00 . Put distilled water in it, put its spout into the fill hole and press down and hold until water stops flowing. The filler automatically stops the water at the correct level. I have one and it works well. It is very old technology that service stations used when I started driving in the 1950s.

x2 - as my battery caps are also difficult but I am able to get a screw driver in and just gently pry them off. They are the 3 cell snap on caps for Interstate Batteries. Then the battery filler that ChasA poste will just barely fit in when held horizontal, as in filling. The spout keeps the water from flowing until it is pressed into the battery hole.

Other systems are available, but this one is inexpensive. I found a battery filler like this on the web for $7.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #25

Well, today I decided it was time to investigate the swaying when on jacks. As per a lot of suggestions I ran the jacks all the way down and checked the tires, all tires were off the ground and the motorhome swayed. The wife says I am being to critical, but when I feel like I am in a boat in rough water I think there is a problem. I am going to keep my eyes open for a used set of the adjustable jack stands and see if they help. I was told the shocks are possibly wore out and that is also contributing to the problems. Not critical, but just driving me crazy everytime any one moves the rig sways like crazy.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
Well, today I decided it was time to investigate the swaying when on jacks. As per a lot of suggestions I ran the jacks all the way down and checked the tires, all tires were off the ground and the motorhome swayed. The wife says I am being to critical, but when I feel like I am in a boat in rough water I think there is a problem. I am going to keep my eyes open for a used set of the adjustable jack stands and see if they help. I was told the shocks are possibly wore out and that is also contributing to the problems. Not critical, but just driving me crazy everytime any one moves the rig sways like crazy.
Could have a broken frame?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Could have a broken frame?

I doubt it, since I have driven it over 3000 miles since I bought it in Jan and have no handling problems, etc. Just have a feeling there is something I am overlooking..
Old 10-11-2013, 03:48 PM   #28

Shocks will have nothing to do with the swaying. Your levelers are mounted directly to the frame. If your jacks are down on solid, firm ground you should not be getting swaying. As someone up thread said you could have a broken frame. Or maybe the jacks mountings are loose. Or maybe your house is not solidly attached to the frame. If you are only getting seasick in bed, maybe it's your bed. Dramamine might help.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote