Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #1

3 Questions

1. My house batteries are positioned in a place that makes them very hard to check the water level! If you batteries are hard to get to how do you check the water level? Going to get a battery bulb for putting water in them, just can't see the level without putting my head right over top of them.

2. Has anyone ever used the trailer stabilizers jacks to stabilize the rig? I am
tired of the swaying when parked and on the levelers.

3. The battery for the engine does not charge when hooked to shore power, not sure it ever did, turning off the switch in the coach, does not stop it from running down it about 2 weeks or so. Is it ok to disconnect it, but taking the ground cable off?

Joe

pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pddgm View Post
1. My house batteries are positioned in a place that makes them very hard to check the water level! If you batteries are hard to get to how do you check the water level? Going to get a battery bulb for putting water in them, just can't see the level without putting my head right over top of them.

2. Has anyone ever used the trailer stabilizers jacks to stabilize the rig? I am

3. The battery for the engine does not charge when hooked to shore power, not sure it ever did, turning off the switch in the coach, does not stop it from running down it about 2 weeks or so. Is it ok to disconnect it, but taking the ground cable off?

Joe
1. I've never had that problem. My charger is a 4 stage and only need to add water about once a year. If I couldn't see well, I would slowly add water with the bulb until I could see the water level, if too high, I would suck some back out.

2. Never a problem with stability with Jacks down (4 point) the only thing I can think of is perhaps you just get the coach level, rather than taking more weight off the suspension. In other words, put more weight on the jacks.

3. Most coach systems do not charge the chassis batt on shore power and 2 weeks is not unusual for them to go dead. Below are 2 links for cheap and easy ways to correct this problem. There are other options as well.

http://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html

http://www.lslproducts.net/ALS_Overview_Page.html

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of many companies that have rv battery watering kits. www.rvpartscountry.com
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
Not a good idea to stick your finger in to see it you can touch the acid - I know. Pain not so bad (but bad enough), but yellow skin and nail was nasty. Duh!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
1. I've never had that problem. My charger is a 4 stage and only need to add water about once a year. If I couldn't see well, I would slowly add water with the bulb until I could see the water level, if too high, I would suck some back out.

2. Never a problem with stability with Jacks down (4 point) the only thing I can think of is perhaps you just get the coach level, rather than taking more weight off the suspension. In other words, put more weight on the jacks.

3. Most coach systems do not charge the chassis batt on shore power and 2 weeks is not unusual for them to go dead. Below are 2 links for cheap and easy ways to correct this problem. There are other options as well.

Ultra TRIK-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer

AMP-L-START Starting Battery Charger/Maintainer - Overview Page

I have tried it with jacks up, just touching the ground, all the way up. I just don't know why it moves so much. Hell just turning over in bed causes it to sway...
pddgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #6

You shouldn't overfill the battery cells. Bad for the battery. So I use an inspection mirror and a flashlight to look in the cells that I cannot see into directly. I'd guess Harbor Freight would have them cheap, as well as most autoparts stores. You can angle the mirror to whatever you want, and extend the telescopic handle, to see way in the back. Works great.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
KIX

Quote:

Google "remote battery watering" The systems are inexpensive and allow you to add water as needed without accessing the battery itself.

While you're googling.....check out Trik-l-start to solve this issue
Joe
hope this helps you
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:36 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What clyon51 suggested was to extend the jacks farther down taking the load off of the suspension.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #9

I too have 4. 6 volts that are hard to check/ add water and finally bought Battery Watering systems . Why I waited so long not sure but that's one if the best things ever invented. I can check/add water in 5 minutes and 4 of that is getting the fitting and water out. Plus my hands never touch or get near acid . But if you choose to not buy this is what I did .....took a bottle with a small diameter hose with a 90 degree fitting and a small length of hose cut to a predetermined length. I measured the height of the cap from top of battery to bottom of it and added a 1/2". Cut small hose that length , remove cap and put small end in hole and fill with water until it barely runs out. Now remove hose and let water drain back in bottle a squeeze sides in , put hose back in and let it suck water back out to the correct height. I did this for quite a few years .
Old 10-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #10

Mine are hard to check as well so I use a flashlight and a mechanics mirror. If in doubt I use spa test strips to verify. Adding water is a simple as a small funnel with a clear hose section. Works like a charm
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:53 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have two pairs of batteries. One impossible to view the level and difficult to get to with a battery fill bottle. Solution was a battery fill system. One time install then just connect a hose with bulb pump from jug of water to the fill system. A few squeezes of the bulb and its done (the bulb becomes hard and won't squeeze to let you know it's done). Literally a 30 second easy job.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As for the chassis battery running down. A conventional Trickle charger can be connected during non use periods or one of the charging devices that connects over to the house batteries so as to be charged by the charger there.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #13

I'd be surprised if a 2000 Pace arrow didn't have a BIRD to charge both batteries on shore power, my 2000 dutch star has one. my old 89 southwind didn't have one, but I used a trickle charger like vsheetz recomended.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:42 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I have tried it with jacks up, just touching the ground, all the way up. I just don't know why it moves so much. Hell just turning over in bed causes it to sway...
What I wanted you to try was to extend the jacks all the way down, lifting the coach higher. This puts more weight on the jacks and less on the tires/suspension, which makes it more stable.

You also want to inspect the ground if not on a hard surface. With soft ground the jacks will soon settle/sink. Most of us carry some sort of pads for this. I use pieces of 2x12 for the jacks when on dirt.

All leveler systems are not created or installed equal either. I can raise my tires right off the ground, which makes for the most stable. It's possible your system was designed or installed so this can't happen or because of some limitation, a lot of the weight remains on the suspension. If this is the case, using blocks under the jacks on any surface would allow them to raise the coach higher, making it more stable. It wouldn't hurt to inspect all jacks to make sure they are securely bolted and tight to the frame.

clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote