Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2011, 04:17 PM   #1

303 protectant question

I have been using 303 protectent for several years now. Mostly on my tonneu cover on my truck and black trim. I have been reading all of these threads saying how many use it directly on the exterior of their MH. Are we using this on gel coat or paint/clearcoat? I have not tried it on my MH yet but it seems like it would leave a film that you could see. If so, do you use it on the stripes also? I have been curious about this for quite some time.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We use 303 on the a/c shrouds, tires, and the window trim. We also use 303 all over the entire front of our coach except the windshield and mirrors to help keep bug juice at bay. Some of the front is covered by Diamond Shield protective film and some is just paint with clearcoat. No problems noted doing this.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've been looking for 303 since I thought it was sold at most major stores (Walmart, etc). Any advice on where to purchase it?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #4

So you just spray it on and wipe it off? So you can apply it with no smears..streaks ..etc? I just might try it. As for where to buy it....I have always found it at marinas...its a great product for boats. They also have a website,and if you want to purchase it in larger quantities, ebay is the best price.
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most RV dealers and supply stores sell it as well.

Is it me, or has the price of this stuff sky-rocketed? I just paid $16 for a 16oz bottle. I think I paid $12 for the same size bottle last year. I'll be using it sparingly...

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:59 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlapml View Post
I've been looking for 303 since I thought it was sold at most major stores (Walmart, etc). Any advice on where to purchase it?
Hi Dunlap, Camping World 32oz refill $21.99 for club members.
Richard
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been using 303 for almost 20 years now. Cheapest price I have hound is directly from www.303products.com but it's been a while since last purchase. I buy it by the gallon.
I use it on the whole MH from the roof to the tires. It's realy not a wipe-on-wipe-off application. It's apply and buff until dry. 2 squirts from the bottle is enough to do an area about 4-6 ft. square. Streaking is caused by using too much. I have found that using a buffing pad on an orbital buffer works best for me.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:21 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by She and I View Post
Hi Dunlap, Camping World 32oz refill $21.99 for club members.
Richard
Thanks for the info.
Old 07-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacevette View Post
I have been using 303 protectent for several years now. Mostly on my tonneu cover on my truck and black trim. I have been reading all of these threads saying how many use it directly on the exterior of their MH. Are we using this on gel coat or paint/clearcoat? I have not tried it on my MH yet but it seems like it would leave a film that you could see. If so, do you use it on the stripes also? I have been curious about this for quite some time.
Goggle 303 protectant and you will see what it can be used for and on what. It also provides excellent UV protection. Google Diamond Shield and you will see they recommend to use 303 (or Protect All) on their product. I use on fiberglass, trim, rubber, plastic, tires, etc. A little goes a long way. Not sure about using it on paint. I still stick to using a good car wax on paint.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutrell01 View Post
Goggle 303 protectant and you will see what it can be used for and on what. It also provides excellent UV protection. Google Diamond Shield and you will see they recommend to use 303 (or Protect All) on their product. I use on fiberglass, trim, rubber, plastic, tires, etc. A little goes a long way. Not sure about using it on paint. I still stick to using a good car wax on paint.
303 will not harm the paint. I have been using it on the boat ,MH, truck, and toad since 1993. I was introduced to 303 by brother-in-law that works at March Aviation in 93 and havent used wax on anything else. The finish on 1993 Explorer Sport still looks factory new.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Diamond Coat literature that came with my new RV says 303 is one of the recommended treatments for it. The Diamond Shield coats the full front from the windshield down.

I just treated it this week. We'll see how it works out. All I want is something that makes cleaning (and removing bugs) easy. I've found a solution of baby bath/shampoo, vinegar and plain water to do a good job so far of removing the bugs/dirt/etc. We'll see if using the 303 makes it easier yet.

I use to use 303 on my bed cover. I'm not sure it was any better than Armorall for that.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #12

You can use it on just about anything. BUT you'll find it doesnt last very long and will have to apply it frequently especially if you use it on the exterior. For the exterior (fiberglas) I recommend Red Max floor finisher. Apply it once a year after removing old wax..
donandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandmax View Post
You can use it on just about anything. BUT you'll find it doesnt last very long and will have to apply it frequently especially if you use it on the exterior. For the exterior (fiberglas) I recommend Red Max floor finisher. Apply it once a year after removing old wax..
How often do you have to replace a coating on the tires?
goreds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:40 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
How often do you have to replace a coating on the tires?
I do it every 3-4 months.