Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #1

We are having to have our 3M shield removed because it is so damaged. Has anyone had to do this? Did 3M cover it if you were the original owner? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
2racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #2

We are having to have our 3M shield removed because it is so damaged. Has anyone had to do this? Did 3M cover it if you were the original owner? Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

2001 Alpine 38 FDDS
2racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don't see any response coming ...I was interested to see if you would get any. My 3M film was installed in 2003 and has several good dings in it, and scratches I presume I caused by using wet dryer sheets to remove bugs (bad suggestion). I have seen many posts by people who have removed/replaced their film, but none that indicated the mfg covered any of the cost.

3M warranty states: 3M warrants that Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film will be free of defects in materials and manufacture — including yellowing, bubbling, or cracking — or five (5) years from date of purchase. This warranty does not apply to damage caused by misuse, accident, misapplication, or ordinary wear, nor does it apply to dents caused by physical impact of rocks or road debris. Some installers may choose to offer, on their own behalf, different or additional warranties or remedies, beyond the warranty and limited remedies offered by 3M.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Lots of owners have also posted that it takes the paint with it when removed, resulting in needing new paint and lots of $$$$$
Old 12-12-2008, 05:17 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
3M and Diamond Shield are very much the same product and are made to protect the front of the RV from many things.
When you try to remove film remember even the service techs have a hard time removing it without pulling the paint and they use a heat gun.
Also each time a small rock has hit the front of the RV there is a good chance that when you remove the film you will remove chipped paint from where a rock hit, this is one of the things that the film does, is hold the chipped paint in place so you do not see the chip until you remove the film.
I had the section on the generator cover replaced in May and watched as the tech remove the film and he said to me before he removed the film "you know the cover is going to need to be repainted from the rock chips".
We were under warrenty and our cost was nothing.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:27 PM   #6

Is it bad to use the dryer sheets to remove bugs from the front of your motor home?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is it bad to use the dryer sheets to remove bugs from the front of your motor home? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you have 3M shield on the front, it DEFINITELY IS BAD to use dryer sheets to remove bugs. If you want to see what they will do, look at the pics on my web site at http://www.pjrider.com/DryerSheets.htm
Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 AM   #8

So if you dont have 3M do you think the dryer sheets are ok to use?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
The reason dryer sheets take bugs off easily is because they are very abrasive. Do you want to rub an abrasive sheet on your motorhome?? I'm painted and clear coated and have Diamond Sheild installed. I would not use dryer sheets.

Would using a dryer sheet on a plain fiberglass body cut into the gell coat?? Yes, but I have no idea how much.

If we have an abrasives expert here possible we could learn what wet sand paper is equivalent to dryer sheets.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

During the PDI on my coach I noted that the 3M film had been installed over water spots on the paint. The mask was replaced and, yes, it took a lot of paint with it. No charge being under warranty but I sure wouldn't try this myself.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote