Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #1

4 months old. This is supposed to be fun, right?

Dynamax Force HD 37BH. Class C, Freightliner, 8.9L Cummins. Bought new.

11,000 miles in, and I'm wondering.... I understand working out the kinks, but my patience is about up.

[
The roof leaks through the recessed lights. Like 4 of them, when it doesn't rain. Obviously the a/c unit isn't draining properly. I've cleaned the filter. What could we be looking at? Poor sealant? It drains consistent streams of water down the sides of the coach from both units.

The house batteries are all but dead. After a few hours they're drawing 11.4, with only the LP fridge drawing any current. We're forced to be on the genny nonstop.

Trim and fascia peeling like crazy. It's tape, essentially.

Shower door seal falls off every time it's used. This is the seal for the 2 sliders that connect. Cheap plastic junk.

Rattles like you wouldn't believe. The microwave is a bucket of bolts. The overhead bunk sounds like frame on frame. For 11,000 very loud miles. Dealer laughs when I ask them to evaluate if anything can be done.

The clearance lights only have 1 of the 5 that work. No idea why.

If anyone has words of productive encouragement, please share. After spilling a ton of cash on a brand with high reviews for quality, I'm fighting buyer's remorse. Doesn't help our first trip the toad died, then had a blow out that almost caught fire. I truly started laughing!

Thanks for your support,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2016, 10:07 PM   #2

Request your selling dealer have a factory rep investigate your issues promptly. If they "laugh" at you again, contact the factory directly and be ready to provide records of all conversations with the dealer, whether they were in person, by phone, email, text, written letter, etc.
Water leaks cause severe damage to the RV, and, if unresolved, will cause mold inside the walls, ceiling, etc.
IMO the best leak detection system available is the SealTech system.
Your dealer should already have this in their service dept., if not, I would strongly request they have this system used to locate all water leaks in your RV, even it they must buy one.
I wouldn't allow the dealer to stall until the warranty expires.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:10 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oh, Ouch.
Wondering if the water problem is perhaps because you might have water pooling inside due to blocked drains. there is a pan at the bottom that has holes to drain the water. The weather where I live has been so humid, it doesn't surprise me you are having a lot of condensation.
Wonder if the lights and the condensation are connected...
Hope you get at least some of these items worked out on your own. Some of it sounds like you will assistance with. ( look for things which run all the time that aren't necessarily needed ansd disconnect them to see if that helps the battery. I have a built in digital type clock that is too bright that is on all the time, and will slowly drain my battery. ( I'd like to just take it out, but hubby doesn't want to.)
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:15 PM   #4

New rigs generally have kinks that have to be worked out. However it sounds like you have more then a few kinks. Start with the dealer, if they don't get it resolved then go to the manufacturer. Better yet go to both at the same time.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:30 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would be fighting with the dealer and manufacturer on all these issues and make them fix them. Document everything and communication with the manufacturer should be via registered mail. Do no let up. Both the dealer and manufacturer hope that you just give up. Don't cave in.

I had a similar problem with a brand new Class C I bought 1997 except all my issues were with Ford. I sent letters to the warranty department listed in the owners manual. No responses.
1- cracked manifold
2-4 of the 6 firestone tires failed
3-another cracked manifold
4-seal on the transmission failed (replacement came with a service bulletin to installers stating original seal was not suited for HD truck application)
5-engine oil pickup tube on the 460 engine cracked, I thought it was the oil pump failing but when I had in for replacement and found bolt flange cracked off tube.

>>>> Needless to say I destroyed Fords Six Sigma quality campaign with my motorhome.

The last problem I had I finally sent a registered letter to Henry Clay Ford Jr. and finally got a response from a customer service rep, who was very obnoxious. Found out that the address I was sending letters to was wrong, even though it was listed in the chassis manual. The service rep said if I would have made these problems known earlier they could have helped, since he didn't have copies of previous correspondence he couldn't do anything.

Bottom Line is don't give up, check on a Lemon Law in your state and if you don't get satisfaction file a claim in small claims court for each occurance, they hate that.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

FWIW the batteries are probably toast because they sat run down at the builder and again at the dealer before you bought the rig. It's a known problem and you should be able to get a warranty replacement.

How is condensation getting into the lights? It's common to have it running off the roof.
Old 07-23-2016, 06:11 PM   #7

Any chance you can get it back to the Dynamax factory for repairs ? I would hope the factory would be more responsive than the crappy dealer.
Looks like your issues are all Dynamax related ( as opposed to Freightliner / Cummins / Allison )
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:44 PM   #8

The RV Death Spiral strikes again...
Old 07-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #9

All good thoughts and recommendations. I actually tried calling Dynamax asking them to view the coach, and received no response. I'm in Indiana occasionally.

Clearly it is going to take dedication on this.

Nothermark, I have no idea how condensation gets into the lights. My guess is the noise a/c is backed up somewhere.

I don't know what the RV Death Spiral is, but I can guess.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:20 PM   #10

4 months old. This is supposed to be fun, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace2day View Post
?..I don't know what the RV Death Spiral is, but I can guess.

The RV Death Spiral is here: http://rvdailyreport.com/category/opinion/

Greg Gerber is the editor and founder of RV Daily Report. His columns about the "Death Spiral" are right on the mark.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by grace2day View Post
All good thoughts and recommendations. I actually tried calling Dynamax asking them to view the coach, and received no response. I'm in Indiana occasionally.

Clearly it is going to take dedication on this.

Nothermark, I have no idea how condensation gets into the lights. My guess is the noise a/c is backed up somewhere.

I don't know what the RV Death Spiral is, but I can guess.
My point with the lights is that if it is condensation in the duct work you will need to understand how to clear the drain as it will be a regular maintenance item.

FWIW many of us who have been around production shops understand that most of what is called the RV death spiral is typical of low volume production techniques when workers are pushed for time and/or poorly trained mixed with some over expectations.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #12

I actually had a productive conversation with the OEM today and they agreed to do the warranty work at their facility. They were concerned about the microwave loose issues and the noises at the bunk, and had a suggestion on the cap screws that hold the frame in place (not that I could fix it, but he was thinking out loud).

They also immediately had a suggestion on the water issue - the 4 screws holding the a/c unit to the roof are most likely loose, resulting in a loose seal, and simply need tightening. Apparently this is a common issue out of the shop and with mileage on the road they loosen. The result is water leakage into the light cans. I'll check and see if they are in fact loose today/tomorrow. It was suggested I check at least once a year on both a/c's to ensure the seal is tight via these screws.

I was pleased with the responsiveness of the shop and willingness to get me in, and they had a date for me within 45 minutes via email.

I want to be completely fair with all parties involved, and find my way through the hassles to enjoying the lifestyle. This is an encouraging sign.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:20 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Glad to hear the manufacturer is stepping up as they should be. I have been in the RV game for over ten years. A short period of time compared to some of you but I've talked to a lot of people and read even more. We recently moved up to a Class A from a travel trailer and struggled with new versus used. Aside from the obvious price difference, I found that many people complain about issues with new coaches that require constant trips to the dealer. I figured that if I'm going to have issues, it might as well be on a slightly used coach where I saved half the cost of a new one. I feel that there will always be maintenance issues or things breaking no matter what you purchase. Just something to be understood going in. It's the nature of the business unfortunately. That's why 95% of the manufacturers offer a whopping one year warranty.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #14

Also glad you are getting attention. Ask them to show you what they did. You don't have to watch them work but if they point to the whatever and tell you they tightened it you will have a clue about what to look for next time. Reality is that we bounce these houses down the road at frequent intervals. They are flexible enough that everything works a bit so we take a look at tighten a bit or try to find a flexible seal or whatever.

FWIW extending the warranty is simple - they just tack on a few thousand to cover the expected cost and your dealer adds 30% or so to that. Manufacturers shave prices by reducing the warranty. That idea works for about everything made and sold. The difference is that we can buy a separated extended warranty where a lot of products do not have one. OTOH the reason so many places push them on certain products is that they are very lucrative.