Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-19-2005, 06:55 AM   #15
The general consesus seems to be ....go for it.

Guess this is the route we'll take.

Seems a bit of waste to remove what's there now. My old dad used to say "if it ain't broke - don't fix it" but on the other hand, I don't want trouble next spring when were in the mountains trying to enjoy the holiday.

Does anyone think the $ 3000 will up the value on the MH or is it an investment that won't show.

gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2005, 11:40 AM   #16

Nice looking MH...used to have the 95 version. Unfortunately having some sort of manifold problem with this engine seems to be almost inevitable. I put the full Banks on mine before I started having problems. Two bolts broke off during the installation and the rear two ports on both sides showed signs of beginning to leak.

The Banks is expensive but seems to be the solution. I've seen no reports of problems afterwords. Get the TransCommand as well...it will help the tranny by shifting more firmly and reducing heat buildup (a good thing). The rig will run better, climb better and sound better ;-) and can get you perhaps 1 mpg better if you don't overdo the "sounds better" thing.

If you're going to keep the rig for a while, go for it. It will probably help sell the rig to someone who is aware of the problem, but you probably won't get all your money back.

wilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 02:46 PM   #17
I have the 454 chev big block in our 86 class A motorhome (P-30 chassis). Some have recommended banks....I'm told that exhaust manifold gaskets are blown or our manifold is warped. However I really don't hear anything too strange when running the engine.

Several have mentioned that manifold studs (460 ford) have poped off. How in the world can the mechanic find enough room to drill out the broken studs...in our unit (454 gmc), especially the left side of the engine is so crowded....

Can anyone out there with 454 experience please get back to me....I would probably go with the banks only if I were to pull the engine for a rebuild or replace with crate engine.

Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 05:27 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We had the full Banks kit, including Transcommand, on our 1996 460 (Southwind 36 w/ tag axle) and the engine performed quite well. Transmission still had that huge gap between 2nd and 3rd, though. Once you drop below the RPM range for 3rd, it's 2nd gear and 20 mph. That deficiency can be solved by adding a Gear vendors Over/Underdrive auxiliary transmission, but now you are`talking more big bucks. We traded for a new rig and a Workhorse W22 instead.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 09:29 AM   #19
I guess this requires a mechanic to understand, but on our las trip we had a lot of climbing in Vermont and New Hampshire.

The thing that puzzled me was why the tranny would shift down to say 3rd from o/d and instead of running along for the rest of the climb it kept upshifting to a higher gear which made it lugg.

Seems to me the sensor should tell it that rpm is O.K. so stay where you are and get the advantage of higher revs and better cooling till it gets easier and then shift up.

Ford knows what this is all about, but I don't

gordon23 is offline   Reply With Quote