Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #1

In my pursuit of power improvements, I have read some cautions about failure of the original exhaust system components of the F53 460.

Does anyone have experience with this repair as it will have an effect on my decision to go with the banks/power command installation. Reson being that my current exhaust system looks pretty good.

By the by...I have dual exhaust and I'm reading about going from 3 to 4 inch single exhaust. Did this motor come from the factory with single or dual.

Bought the MH used and therefore have not ideal what is original and what is not.

Thanks guys for any input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2005, 07:30 AM   #2

In my pursuit of power improvements, I have read some cautions about failure of the original exhaust system components of the F53 460.

Does anyone have experience with this repair as it will have an effect on my decision to go with the banks/power command installation. Reson being that my current exhaust system looks pretty good.

By the by...I have dual exhaust and I'm reading about going from 3 to 4 inch single exhaust. Did this motor come from the factory with single or dual.

Bought the MH used and therefore have not ideal what is original and what is not.

Thanks guys for any input.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:13 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 460 is a great engine. The major weakness with them are the manifolds and heat. Mine popped the heads right off of the manifold bolts, so had to have them drilled out. At the same time I had the Banks system installed (manifolds back). It made a big difference in the power and fuel economy, plus, no more problems with the manifolds.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:37 AM   #4

About "heat" Do you mean they overheat. What is the fix.

About popping bolts....can you hear the exhaust leak if this has happened or how did you discover your problem.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:27 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gordon23:
About "heat" Do you mean they overheat. What is the fix.

About popping bolts....can you hear the exhaust leak if this has happened or how did you discover your problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry, I wasn't clear on my explanation. No, I never had a problem with the engine overheating. What I was referring to was heats effect on the manifolds. The very first time I had a problem we were pulling the Big Horns coming out of Sheridan, WY. We came upon a scenic overlook at about the crest, pulled over to take a peek and let the MH cool down a little. I idled it for a couple of minutes and then shut engine off. After about a minute I heard what sounded like a small caliber rifle shot coming from the engine area, followed by another shortly after. Couldn't see anything right then, but as soon as I started back up the grade I sure heard the manifold leak. Later found where two of the manifold bolt heads had popped off.

You can definitely hear the leak.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:49 AM   #6

Got it.....maybe a longer idle to cool down would have avoided the damage. Just curious.....did you have to fix it out there or did you buy ear plugs and drive home first.

I'm getting about 8.6 mpg on my old girl and don't know if this is fair,good,poor or horrible cause it's our first shot at a MH.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:31 PM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
We had a 460 in the F-350 we used to haul equipment on a flatbed trailer. Had the same thing happen, hard pull on a fairly long hill with a load and something popped. Not noisy even then, just sounded like...a leaking manifold gasket. Hard to describe exactly, but sorta like high pressure rush of air. It was that way when we got rid of the truck. It would absolutley pull anything I hooked it to with no problem, but man that thing loved gasoline!!
Old 10-12-2005, 03:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gordon23:
Just curious.....did you have to fix it out there or did you buy ear plugs and drive home first.

I'm getting about 8.6 mpg . . . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Drove it home and took it to Ford Truck service center where they drilled out the old and fixed it at least until the next time. Kept having same issue until I finally went the Banks route. No problems after that.

8.6mpg is not bad for the 460. After Banks I could manage 9.5 mpg without the toad.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:40 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
gordon23, I had a 460 on a 88 John Deer chassis, both manifolds pop bolts like a gun shot. Had to replace both heads because of cracked heads, plus new manifolds. On later MH's placed BANKS sys with trans-command should have done it to the 88 as soon as I bought it. You haven't said how many miles on your 92 but would advise if you plan to keep it would be a good investment. If you pull steep grades you will be hearing what sounds like a gun shot soon.
You can post in your sig-profile your coach info and everyone will know to better help you. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 06:50 PM   #10

Fors has had alot of problems with the 460 manifold bolts-- problem with the head is that they have soo little material around the ports that they crack all the time-- We've sourced out new Ford heads (not from Ford- you'd have to take out a mortgage to buy theirs) We use the factory bolts--but the Banks system does make a big difference in underhood heat----Keep em cool and they'll last alot longer---

Parts Manager
Partsmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 08:50 AM   #11

Gordon23, I have the 460 on a '96 Winnebago 38 footer. Took it to Campers World and had the banks system put on. The recommended to add the banks trans. package also. Ford has to have the worst transmission of any on motorhomes. Just my opinion. The difference was incredible! Gained 2 miles per gallon, but the real difference is the way it shifts now, with no strain on the engine.
The mechanic at CW said the last bolt, (passenger side closest to the firewall) is famous for breaking. Comparing the stock manifold with the banks headers is like comparing and orange with an onion. No comparrison.
My advice....get the banks system along with the trans command. You won't be sorry.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #12

How costly was the banks with trans command.

Did they actually find popped studs or where they just saying the back stud was the most likely to go.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:49 PM   #13

I had the same problem with Manifold on the 460, I had it repaired once at a cost of Six hundred plus, and a year later, the leak started over again, this time worse, one of the gaskets was leaking, I finally decided to spend the $3,000.00 to have the banks system installed, I was told that the Transcomand was not that important, so I opted to eliminate it at a savings of $ 500.00. that has solved the problem, not counting the extra power and mileage. should have had it done in the first place.

I'd say if you plan on keeping the Rig, Go For It.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:01 AM   #14

CW recommended the Transcommand to me, seeing as the transmissions do alot of slipping creating excess heat. The Transcommand forces the transmission to run higher internal pressures thus eliminating the slippage and excess heat. I believe there is a definate difference. The total cost with Transcommand, installed at Camping World was around $2800.00. I'm still sold on the idea that even though its a heavy price up front, keeping the MH for any length of time, and the peace of mind on future repair costs as mentioned above, its well worth the cost. I would only recommend that you have it installed if your not knowledgable on how to remove any broken bolts from the removal of the old manifold.

'96 - 38' Adventurer
Flintstones Adventurer is offline   Reply With Quote