Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2015, 12:09 PM   #1

4k Onan hot weather adaptation alteration.

Hi
I have run into a problem with our 4K Onan genny. It would shut down in places like a traffic jam in the Mojave (Vegas to LA) or driving through the deep South. When we needed it the most it died. I tried all of the adjustments without any luck. I found out that many of them have a temp sen sot in the intake that shuts it down when the ambient air reaches 130f. I have a IF temperature gun so I did some checking. The tarmac often gets to 150f here in S FL. No wonder. I tried leaving the door open a crack and a few other things without much luck. Coachmen, in its infinite wisdom, put the generator behind the drivers side wheel well where the radiator heat washes through it. The intake in the genny box is in the front where it sucks the radiator and engine heat in as well as the brake and tire heat. I read where some folks ran dryer vent hose from the box to in front of the radiator but the suspension and a tight space made it tough and it would still be right on the road. Here is what I did.

I am still in the midst of painting so it is not perfect yet and this is not all of it. The louvers come from a Sea Ray engine compartment and were meant to exhaust. I just turned them around. I cut a hole and screwed them on. I am repainting the lower part of the RV so I am painting them.They were sanded and primed with plastic primer before the color coat went on. I will be spraying the clear later.
I did not block the old intakes to the compartment. I used foam to direct the air flow from these intakes to the intakes on the genny's own case. I'll post more picks in a day or so.
The generator now draws its air from outside of the RV about 3' off of the road. That helps a lot even when standing still in traffic. When moving the scoops direct air through the generator. We spent a few days in Death Vally during August without any problems at all.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #2

Mine will shut off when motor home gas tank is at 1/3 rd full. Does yours ?

Old 07-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Kahoona,
I was looking at that venting system. Looks like I have another project. :-)

MnDRice.
Thats normal, the pickup tube that feeds gasoline from your main gas tank sits above the bottom of the tank, usually somewhere around 1/4 tank. Keeps you from accidentally running your gas tank empty by running the genny.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:10 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnDRice View Post
Mine will shut off when motor home gas tank is at 1/3 rd full. Does yours ?
Yes it actually shuts off just below 1/4 tank. The Temperature shut off is actually in the instruction manual that I bought from Onan. It is a known thing but is not a problem most of the time because the locations atr cooler. It is just that this model is positioned so that the engine, road, tire and brake disc heat all are channeled right through it. While we were in Death Vally, after the mods, it worked great. The only thing we found was that, since it was so hot, we did not shut the generator off when er left the coach for less that 20 minutes. The heat build up from the Onan's motor would prevent starting until we were under way for a few minutes to push fresh air into it.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #5
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
Where did you get the louver panel?

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:41 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Where did you get the louver panel?
"The louvers come from a Sea Ray engine compartment"
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
"The louvers come from a Sea Ray engine compartment"
I got them on eBay and I just went by measurement. I got a set of 2 and put them in in a row.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Kahoona,
I was looking at that venting system. Looks like I have another project. :-)

MnDRice.
Thats normal, the pickup tube that feeds gasoline from your main gas tank sits above the bottom of the tank, usually somewhere around 1/4 tank. Keeps you from accidentally running your gas tank empty by running the genny.
I will have pictures and more info posted as soon as I get the time. I can post it on the Mirada site too since it affects Miradas directly. It is not associated with fuel supply. It happens at all tank readings. It is a temp sensor inside the case to prevent overheating from high ambient air temps. A known item that is only a problem when the manufacturers put the unit in the hottest place on the RV.

Tags
ada, onan