Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-07-2015, 06:50 AM   #1

50 amp electrical plug seperation

My 50 amp plug has pulled away from the cords protective sheathing exposing the insulated wires inside. What would be the best way to protect the plug sheathing separation? I was thinking of installing heat shrink tubing if I can find some that would fit over the end of the plug. If there would be a better solution I would like to know before I disconnect the cord from the surge protector so I can slide the shrink tubing over it all the way to the plug end.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Can you Plasti-Dip it a dozen or so times? Then peel away the dried dip from the face of the plug (and its connectors)? Maybe start with a couple wraps with good electrical tape for support? \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:13 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most all motorhome dealers with retail stores will have a replacement plug connection for your 50amp cord. Cut the old one off, strip back the wires & attach the new end. Buy the yellow one because it comes with a handy handle! Just ensure that you reattach correctly. Directions are included.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:16 AM   #4
Community Administrator

I wrapped it with electrical tape until I was able to get a new end and replaced it as mentioned above.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:26 AM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have used that yellow replacement plug on a 30 amp trailer we had. I just didn't think the plug contacts were as long as the original. Why don't you measure them on both types and see. I never was sure and have long since sold the trailer.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had same problem Just let cord sit in full sun on a hot day. Wrap other end around tree or post. Then start several feet away from plug pulling insulation towards plug working your way back to plug. Back up a couple feet and repeat.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:51 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
I have used that yellow replacement plug on a 30 amp trailer we had. I just didn't think the plug contacts were as long as the original. Why don't you measure them on both types and see. I never was sure and have long since sold the trailer.

Owned 3 class As since 1990, 2 30amps, 1 50amp. One of the first things I did with each of them was replace the OEM plug. NEVER had a problem! The handle makes it SO much easier to plug & unplug.

BTW, I think the brandname is Camco. Hope you can get one from your local dealer's store, but if you can't, CW (Ugh) carries them.

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #8

When the sheath pulls back it's because the molded plug did not capture it properly as they made it. I like the idea of letting it get warm and working the sheath back toward the cable end but once I knew it was moving I would load the gap with RTV, finish working the sheath closed and let it cure for a day or two.

If you are living in the unit and need to have it plugged in use a piece of something you can tie to the sheat 6 inches or so below the repair and then tie off the other end to pull up and relieve the strain on the repair while it cures. You want a solid seal to keep water out when you are done.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 08:20 AM   #9

I had the same thing a few years ago. At one park I was having problems getting a good connection and thought I was my plug, so I ordered a new one to replace it. There was not a problem whit the plug itself, it must have been a bad post.

Anyway, I liked the handle on the replacement plug!
Attached Images

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #10

I dont think the yellow cord end would fit through the opening that the cord goes through I can barely fit the standard plug through. I'm not sure if RTV would hold up very long we full time and move quite often. Thanks for your input I think I will try to find heat shrink electrical tubing I have seen it where the tubing has a heat activated adhesive to make it water resistant. This would bond the plug to sheathing.
Old 06-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can get a 3M Tape that will shrink with heat source applied. Go to big box store or electric supply store.

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
Old 06-08-2015, 06:16 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is an original plug and the plug is still in good condition.. I might use GOOP to re-join and then after it sets RESCUE TAPE (This silicon tape you can get in assorted places)

if it's a replacement plug..Shorten the cord an inch.

NOTE: this retraction of the outer sheath is very common.. The cause is UV radiation (Sunlight in short).

Tags
electrical