Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #15

Good additional info Don and Gary,
My EMS load sheds are 1-Engine Heater 2-HWT heater 3-AC rear 4- AC front

With regards to the 2 ACs nothing is connected to the 120 relays for those 2 loads. The EMS seems to control the ACs with control wires (I think green wires). I suspect these wires shut down the compressors. Power is not disconnected from the ACs as you would want the fans to stay on for compressor cool down. Would you say this is right??

HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 12:23 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
If you have 2 ac's turn them both on for a minute and see if the meter flips back to 50amp. If so then I say it is working as designed.

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
Good additional info Don and Gary,
My EMS load sheds are 1-Engine Heater 2-HWT heater 3-AC rear 4- AC front

With regards to the 2 ACs nothing is connected to the 120 relays for those 2 loads. The EMS seems to control the ACs with control wires (I think green wires). I suspect these wires shut down the compressors. Power is not disconnected from the ACs as you would want the fans to stay on for compressor cool down. Would you say this is right??
Normally the ACs are controlled by the six port pin on the right side of the card. This is low-voltage control and normally the ACs are controlled by the low-voltage at the thermostat. The block heater and hot water heater's are controlled by the high-voltage relays on the top of the fourth.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
If after turning on both AC's and maybe the toaster to ensure more than 30 amps being used, it still does not switch to 50 see this thread Smart Energy Management system not reading 50 amp power on post 12 the guy shows how he repaired the board should that be the issue. You may not be comfortable with this repair but any reputable Radio guy could do it. Ham operator or such. They are quite capable of repairing.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 04-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all of you - my head is swimming - this is way above me but a few comments in answer to some of the questions:

This is intermittent and seemingly random when it goes to showing 30 amps. I just noticed this for the first time very recently. However, it has occurred at more then one location though so on that I think it is likely related to the coach rather than the connection at the park.

As far as I know everything is working when it shows 30 amps. However, I have not gone around and checked things specifically to see that everything is working. That is a good thought though and the next time I see it at 30 I will investigate that further.

I will say that we do not use a lot of high powered things. We do not have appliances such as toasters, coffee makers, etc. The microwave/convection and the hair dryer are the really only high power things we use. Over time we have learned that when I use the hair dryer I must always turn off the electric water heater before using it and definitely not use the microwave/oven while using the hair dryer. That is guaranteed to trip the inverter every time so I've learned to live with that. On this most recent adventure I am using electric for the frig as I am conserving propane since hubby not here to drive MH out for a refill (we are in a remote location). Well I learned first day of that that I need to also turn off the frig when I use the hair dryer as I tripped the inverter while running the hair dryer. I had as always turned off the electric water heater but since we normally use propane for the frig I had not thought about turning off the frig. (I cannot believe this is normal but no one ever seems to be able to identify a problem and this rig has been in multiple times)

Someone mentioned turning on both air conditioners (think we only have one) to see if that sends it back to 50 amps. It actually went back to 50 amps after I turned on the furnace last night and has been on 50 amps since to my knowledge. The jumps to 30 amps on the EMS never seem to make any sense as to when it occurs. I haven't watched it closely until now as I will just notice that it is showing 30 and will wonder why but havent given significant thought. Now I am going to watch more closely and do more checking of things when it occurs.

Someone asked about the tripping with micro/oven. It trips the inverter itself. The inverter recently checked out as "good" when in the shop. The tripping issue has been an ongoing problem. It has tripped several times in the past two or three days. Bet I need to start turning off the frig when I use it. That just now occurred to me.

We have a voltmeter and I have stupidly never learned to use it myself. Hubby does that stuff. Well clearly I need to be learning!

One part of me thinks this may well be the EMS panel like some have mentioned. However, noticing this problem got me to thinking about the tripping issue again and makes me wonder if there is a loose wire or something of that nature that is the cause of both. Maybe not. I don't know. I know that I have said over and over and over that I do not believe we should be able to trip the inverter so easily. Somehow I have not gotten the idea that everyone has to turn off their electric water heater and/or electric frig to operate their mic/oven or hair dryer on 50 amp power! I had completely given up on this issue and have been just living with it. Noticing the 30 amp on the EMS has just made me revisit it wondering if there is a connection.

I will do more investigation when it is showing 30 amp and also see if I can learn to use the voltmeter and find the appropriate places to check as described. I am a bit nervous on that. We will see.

Sorry to be so long. Thanks to all who have contributed.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
You mentioned a couple times "Inverter", do you mean inverter or Converter? If you are hooked to 50 amp or electric period you do not need the Inverter. FYI, an Inverter uses battery power (12v) to make 110v and a converter does the opposite to charge batteries. Now if you are talking about the breaker kicking out that makes better sense. Often on rv's they will wire almost an entire side on 1 or 2 breakers. Might try your hair dryer on the opposite side of the coach as a test to see if it still happens.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 04-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
FYI, its not reasonable to expect to be able to use the electric water heater and hair dryer and fridge at same time if they are on the same circuit. A hair dryer uses almost all 15 amps on high by itself, the water heater I am not sure but it probably uses 8 amps and the fridge will use about 3 amps. If those are all on one circuit it most definitely will pop because it is over loaded. Largest branch breaker is probably 15 amp in your box.

Now if you are truly running off an inverter, for all those to work you need at least 2400 watt to 3000 watt inverter.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 04-25-2016, 04:12 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Knightab,

It is the inverter. There's a button breaker on the inverter itself that pops out and I reset it. That's something I don't understand as to why the inverter is involved when we are on shore power. I think someone told us at some point that the way it's wired things are still going thru the inverter even on shore power. (Also, the inverter is turned off. It's not on standby.) So if that's the case regarding the wiring issue with the inverter, and if the output breaker on the inverter is 30 amps then we are in fact limited to 30 amps? Does that make sense? Btw I think the inverter is 2000 watt. Will have to confirm that but pretty sure. I have a lot to learn and understand about this but in my foggy brain that makes some sense.

Forgive my ignorance but when you mention things on the same circuit, is a circuit determined by breakers? I'm attaching photos of breaker panels and also attaching inverter photo.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	125224  
Old 04-25-2016, 04:15 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Seems to attach one at a time so here is one of breaker panels
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	34
Size:	306.7 KB
ID:	125225  
Old 04-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
And the other
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	30
Size:	274.3 KB
ID:	125226  
Old 04-25-2016, 06:49 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ok, I need to digest some of this to make total sense but I can answer this. A circuit would be however many outlets a breaker powers. Ac should always be on one by itself and the charger usually is Ali g with the microwave, beyond that they may have all the outlets in one side hooked to a single breaker. It's not an unusually thing and it's not wrong, houses have more outlets than can be powered by a single breaker. It's just not assumed you will plug a high wattage appliance into every outlet.

Now the inverter, owner can flow thru the inverter and it may or may not be controlled by the breaker. A fifty amp coach should not be wired through the inverter if it regulates the amperage.

2000 watts is 20 amps.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 04-25-2016, 06:52 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ok, it looks like the last picture you posted which is the sub panel is probably powered by the inverter. I would have to think the inverter is more than a 2000 watt. Your sub panel is protected to 30 amps, the breaker on far left. So inverter is most likely 3000 watts.

I'm trying to wrap my head around that, I am thinking they are probably running one feed form main panel to inverter on through to the sub panel. So anything that sub panel controls is limited to 30 amps. You have the ac and the fridge in that panel that is pretty close to 20 amps there IF the ac is running.

Now, if you aren't running the ac and microwave you should have about 25 amps available through that panel. A hair dryer in high is usually 1500 watts and that is a full 15 amps
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 04-25-2016, 07:01 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
AHH, I enlarged the inverter panel and the breaker button says 30, so it is a 3000 watt inverter, if that is constantly popping you need to evaluate what all is running at once.
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Old 04-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #28

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVer402 View Post
Seems to attach one at a time so here is one of breaker panels
Almost all of these are high amp users, ac, dryer, fireplace.

2014 Honda CRV Toad

Tags
power