Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
50 amp power switches to 30 amp

I have noticed that at times when we are on 50 amp power the monitor will at times show us to be on 30 amp. Is this normal or is there potentially an electrical issue in the coach? The monitor will intermittently show we are on 30 amp when we definitely are connected to 50 amp. It catches my attention because when on 30 amps it also shows on the monitor how many amps are currently being drawn whereas on 50 amp that info doesn't show on the monitor.

Thank you.

Winnebago Vectra 2006 40'

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What monitor do you have that is showing the amps you are getting from shore power? I have a progressive EMS, that will tell me, are you looking at an EMS remote?

YosemiteBobR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Not being the brightest bulb in the box, but my first though was that you might have a loose connection on one of the legs of your 50AMP wiring at the circuit breaker box or at the transfer switch. Just a thought for what it might be worth.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:23 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Angry

YosemiteBobR,

It's Powerline Energy Management System - it's a part of the coach. Going to try to post a photo below. Haven't attached a photo here before. Will see if it's successful. If it shows up you will see in photo it is showing 50 amps. When it switches to 30 it will also show amps in that middle area above load meter.

D Lindy,

I'm afraid it might be something like that. I was hoping it might be normal to do this but probably not.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2016, 06:34 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Tried again on photo. Seems to upload but not to thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	125151  
Old 04-24-2016, 06:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok it did upload to thread.
Old 04-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #7

I have the same remote and had the same problem not long ago...

Your EMS measures the incoming AC in the electrical panel from the two breakers that control the two first loads to be shed. In my case the #1 is the engine block heater and the #2 is the electric element in my hot water system (Aqua Hot).

I had turned the breaker off for engine block heater (I did not want it to ever come on) and by doing this I was preventing the EMS from reading one of the two AC legs. This was causing the EMS to read 120 as opposed to 240V.

If yours is intermittent then check/tighten the screws on each of your circuit breakers. One or more may be loose. I think they are installed with these battery operated drills with the torque not set appropriately. I have seen a few coaches on which they were all loose.

Hope this helps!
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I checked all the breaker screws that I can find both inside and outside the coach. There were some that needed tightening. Proud of myself on that point as I am currently solo without hubby. However, I then go back and check the EMS which was showing 50 amp before I started tightening and now at 30 again and showing 7 amps. Does this give any guidance on potential problem? I should also mention that when I did this I also lightly pressed the breaker switch for "a/c circuit" and i mistakenly pushed it off and then back on. A/c is not currently in use but thought I should mention it.

Someone also mentioned possibly loose wiring at transfer switch. Where might that be? Would it be like a breaker switch?

Thanks for any thoughts.

PS trying to attach photo of EMS...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	125161  
Old 04-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Another thing I might add that has come to mind as potentially a related issue ... From time to time when connected to 50 amps our microwave/convection oven will trip the inverter when in use. This will occur at random and in none of these cases have we been running other significant power. That has frustrated me many times over and I've mentioned it on several occasions to mechanics who don't seem to think its a problem. I have never thought that should be the norm - not on 50 amp power and not running any other big power draws at the same time. Being complete novices at RVing we had not paid any attention to the EMS panel until more recently I wonder if maybe the reason that occurs and occurs so randomly (tripping the inverter) is it is when it has gone down to 30 amps Hmmmm... If we can find what is causing this drop to 30 amp intermittently we may resolve the inverter tripping problem as well.

Thoughts?
Old 04-24-2016, 11:58 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
In case it is helpful info, it is getting chilly so decided to try turning on heat - was still showing 30 amps when I turned it on. Stayed at 30 and of course the amp meter was flipping all over and then either split second before or just as the pump/blower kicked in, it went back to 50 amp service type.
Old 04-25-2016, 05:44 AM   #11

Do you have a voltmeter? When your remote shows 30 you need to measure your incoming voltage in the electric panel. You will see two large RED and BLACK wires coming in to a 50 amp breaker. If you see 240V across these two wires then your transfer switch is OK. And if you have 240V there then I would say your EMS board might be bad.

When you display 30A at the remote, do you have power everywhere in the motorhome? In other words, might you still have 240V 50A and the display just shows wrong or does about half your electric not work. (try both AirCons).

Also, which breaker trips when you use the microwave? The one in the inverter electric sub-panel or the one on the inverter?
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:27 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post

Your EMS measures the incoming AC in the electrical panel from the two breakers that control the two first loads to be shed. In my case the #1 is the engine block heater and the #2 is the electric element in my hot water system (Aqua Hot).

I had turned the breaker off for engine block heater (I did not want it to ever come on) and by doing this I was preventing the EMS from reading one of the two AC legs. This was causing the EMS to read 120 as opposed to 240V.

The EMS does use the first two items to determine if you are on 30 or 50 amp service. Shutting off either breaker makes the EMS think it is NOT on 50 amp service. It can not tell the difference between 30 and 20 amp service.

The OP is correct that the EMS only shows actual amps used when on 30 amp service or less.

The next thing I suggest is to check connections on the Intellitec controller card in the main breaker panel. There should be two pairs of black and red wires to the board. One pair from the water heater breaker and another from AC 2. Check the red wire connections for 120V from each to any ground wire. If that checks good...

Turn off shore power and all main breakers. After that unplug all of the connectors on the bottom of the board. You don't need to disconnect any wires from the breakers to the top of the board. Leave the connectors off for a couple minutes. Reconnect the plugs starting from right to left. The 3 wire plug in the center of the board provides 12V to the board and you should see a small green LED light up at that time. The little 2 wire connector to the left is to the loop around a white wire tha measures amps. After that restore shore power and then all breakers.

If this doesn't fix the problem or your board is so different that my instructions don't make sense you can PM me and maybe I can pull up info specific to your board.

Intellitec tech support for this is handled by M & M RV Electronic Repair. Phone number is 419-965-3014.

M&M RV Electronic Repair
Old 04-25-2016, 12:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Last but not least, the shore power outlet you are lugged to may not in fact have standard 240v, 4-wire service. If the two "hot" wires there are in phase (that's an electrical tech thing), the EMS will never see the 240v it is looking for to signify standard RV 50A service. If it does not, it will stay in 30A mode no matter what you do inside the coach.

I wanted to mention this, since I've been to a couple of campsites what were wired that way. Basically the site power box had two separate 30A feeds that had been combined to power a 50A outlet as well as two 30's. That generally works fine as long as the coach isn't checking for standard 240v wiring. Mine is like yours and tests for that every time it is lugged in, so I notice it!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 12:12 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
I am not so sure that isn't the correct way for it to work. Perhaps when using 30 amps or less it just defaults to that but the minute you use 31 or more amps it pops up 50 amps. Have you noticed if it is only showing 50 amps when pulling more than 30?

2014 Honda CRV Toad
Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power