Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
50 Gal. Poly Gas Tank Splitting @ Seam...

I just had a 50 gal gas poly tank installed. The shop is now out of business. When I got the coach home, I noticed a gas smell. I crawled under the unit and found that the tank is split @ the seam. It looks like it was over tighten when installed. I was asking if there was a way to repair it without pulling the tank? I was thinking some type of JB Weld. Napa has something like that which is black. I am concerned about how the product would react to the gas vapors. Has anyone repaired a poly tank and if so could you send me on the right course? Thanks for your time...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #2

Here is what I would call the "shade-tree mechanic" method Plastic Gas Tank Repair
Were it me, I would remove the tank, empty it and allow any residual to evaporate. Then I would contact an auto-body repair shop and have it "welded". They use the correct filler rod and what resembles a large soldering iron to heat the fault it the tank and weld it back solid using the filler rod.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Perfect, just what I was looking for. Thank you so much...

I just hope I don't burn a hole in the tank...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
I just had a 50 gal gas poly tank installed. The shop is now out of business. When I got the coach home, I noticed a gas smell. I crawled under the unit and found that the tank is split @ the seam. It looks like it was over tighten when installed. I was asking if there was a way to repair it without pulling the tank? I was thinking some type of JB Weld. Napa has something like that which is black. I am concerned about how the product would react to the gas vapors. Has anyone repaired a poly tank and if so could you send me on the right course? Thanks for your time...
i would try jb weld stick before removing the tank. it is designed for gas and works even when wet with gas. depending on how long a seam and location fo the seam, i would layer a layer of fiberglass cloth in the repair.

J-B Weld Company - J-B STIK Product Information
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Don't waste your JB weld on anything "poly", because nothing sticks to it, not epoxy, silicone, 5200, caulk, paint, gorilla glue, Elmers glue, nothing. You might get something that's acting like it's adhering, but it won't seal, fluids WILL find a way past the seal.

Poly MUST be welded...
PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:35 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ok, here are two pictures to give you guys an idea where the split is. I'm wondering if it's even worth trying to repair. I am also wondering what may have caused this as i don't think it was from over tighten the mounting straps...

Old 09-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I just noticed the picture and the 2nd one looks like some type of glue. Maybe the glue is separating from the tank. I did not do this...