Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig M View Post
Yup, yup, that was linked earlier in the thread. "Open Neutrals" got me a little nervous. I shared that info with my dad.
Craig, Here's is how to deal with "Open Neutrals" from the perspective of being on the other side of the RV pedestal.

Mobile RV Medic's - Dale Sumner

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hmmm, your wife likes a new 50 amp outlet box for a Christmas present--does she have a sister?

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 AM   #17

Notice that the ground and the neutral are separate!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickBrennan View Post
Notice that the ground and the neutral are separate!
You mean the ground and neutral are separate at the new recepticle. The ground and neutral at the service box is the same. Correct?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Hmmm, your wife likes a new 50 amp outlet box for a Christmas present--does she have a sister?
Good one.

Well, it is her motorhome. With the new motorhome being 50A, the 12 gauge 20A extension cord from the house isn't going to work well anymore. I think we'd be blowing breakers if we turned the two heat strips on this coming February.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
You mean the ground and neutral are separate at the new receptacle. The ground and neutral at the service box is the same. Correct?
Crag M. Do both wires have the same potential, I would say yes but they are very different in purpose according to NEC Code. One is a not current carrying conductor and the other does carry current.

At the plug - Yes both are present. I believe the round pin is the bond and did you notice it is slightly longer that the other blades. It is expected that when you make a plug connection, the bond engages first.

Meanwhile back at the main panel, you can have 2 bus bars screwed into the back of the panel, difference is that one of the bars is connected to the Neutral coming into the house while the bar used for the bond is not.

All the whites go on the neutral bar and the bare copper or green wires go on the bonding block. Typically the bonds will be on one side and the neutrals will be on another but there is no hard rule on location. Most neutral bars are isolated. The bare copper protects electrical circuits in the event the metal enclosures in electrical circuits becomes charged and will present a short and trip the breaker.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Crag M. Do both wires have the same potential, I would say yes but they are very different in purpose according to NEC Code. One is a not current carrying conductor and the other does carry current.

At the plug - Yes both are present. I believe the round pin is the bond and did you notice it is slightly longer that the other blades. It is expected that when you make a plug connection, the bond engages first.

Meanwhile back at the main panel, you can have 2 bus bars screwed into the back of the panel, difference is that one of the bars is connected to the Neutral coming into the house while the bar used for the bond is not.

All the whites go on the neutral bar and the bare copper or green wires go on the bonding block. Typically the bonds will be on one side and the neutrals will be on another but there is no hard rule on location. Most neutral bars are isolated. The bare copper protects electrical circuits in the event the metal enclosures in electrical circuits becomes charged and will present a short and trip the breaker.
Looking last night confirmed that my neutral bar is connected via a cross bar to the ground bar. So, in my service box, the neutral and ground are in theory the same. But, I will connect the neutral to the bar that has the main neutral coming in at and the ground on the other side. This service box was installed about 15 years ago by a certified electrician.

Probably dragging this thread on, but all good info.... Thanks.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
There is only 1 place where neutral and ground are allowed to be connected together, and that is in the service entrance box. If you have a sub-panel, you MUST connect the grounds to the ground bus and the neutrals to the neutral bus, and they are kept separate until they are connected in the service entrance panel (the first box your side of the meter). If you are connecting wiring INSIDE the service entrance panel, you can connect either ground or neutral wires to either the ground or neutral bus bars in that box since they are connected together IN THAT BOX.
(had a long discussion w/electrician AND electrical inspector when rewiring the house because I noticed the electrician connecting neutral and ground to the same bus bar - got the detailed explanation from both and verified it was the same)
Old 10-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #23

At that distance from your home's service panel, most would consider your remote panel a service entrance and not a sub panel. So, a ground rod, actually two ground rods 6 feet apart are required to establish the safety ground. I went through this in Virginia and the engineer and inspector where both in agreement.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
50A

[QUOTE=Craig M;722609]I'm installing a 50A outlet box out where I park the motorhome. I have two 6 gauge hots going out there and one 6 gauge neutral. Should I run a ground wire from the box directly to a ground stake? Or should I run a ground wire 150 feet back to the source? Does it really matter?

#8 is ok for 50A and 6 even better and you should use 4 wire which has the ground in it.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #25

It is the service entrance box that has the neutral and ground linked together. Glad to hear that is o.k.

To be safe, I did decide to add a staked ground at the new recepticle box.

I went with seperate 6 and 8 gauge wires and ran them in conduit. The pre-bundled 6 gauge wires seem to have a ground that was less than 8 gauge. Looked more like 10 gauge.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:25 PM   #26
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I went with seperate 6 and 8 gauge wires and ran them in conduit. The pre-bundled 6 gauge wires seem to have a ground that was less than 8 gauge. Looked more like 10 gauge.
You need to make sure that the BOND is a Number 8.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
You need to make sure that the BOND is a Number 8.
Yup, ground is a number 8. Hots and neutral are number 6.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #28
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Yup, ground is a number 8. Hots and neutral are number 6.