Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
See RVcruzer.com Electrical Tutorial - Chapter 3 - 30 Amp versus 50 Amp

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #44
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
I was actually on this site earlier today (via Google) when I was trying to get more info about the size of the bond wire.

I read the differential study and it's very interesting. Great read!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 04:18 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirelessenab View Post
Well ... not exactly. If the outlet is wired on opposite phases/legs then the neutral is only carrying the IMBALANCE between the two phases NOT the AVERAGE of the two.

It's counter-intuitive.
Wirelessenab is correct. That's why the 2 50A inputs must be out of phase. Otherwise, the 100A that's available may overload the neutral (white) wire.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
I hate to jump in here so late and make yet another wave, but...
The neutral, or white wire, will and does, carry the sum of the 120volt current back to the panel, or post or where ever it comes from, since most "50amp" wired M/H's are wired to use the legs as 120vac, and not 240vac.
There is no load on the neutral when using 240vac. The neutral is the leg that makes it possible to achive 120vac
If you doubt this, check the wiring diagram for the Intelitec, that most of us have.
It gets its Amp reading, or sampling, from the neutral wire in the the main panel of the coach. It has a small iron core that goes around the main neutral wire in the panel. I know this, as I did just complete a 30 to 50 amp conversion on my coach.
I had to replace all the wire from the transfer switch to the panel and the Inverter's dual inputs. From the transfer switch, I ran 3 #6 lines for the two hot legs, and ground, and 1 #4 "White" neutral wire to handle the loads from the coach and the inverter/charger at the same time. In Theory, the Neutral could see as much as 100 amps. If the neutral wire can show the intelitec, the amperage to display on the panel, it would then stand to reason that the neutral is carrying the sum of the loads. It seems like some would like to change the laws of electricity.
Kerry
Old 11-05-2010, 02:17 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
First, to HotMech - your intelitech only reads when you're on generator, not shore power, and your generator is wired to provide 2 in-phase 110 supplies, not 2 180 degree out of phase (or 220v) supplies. Thus the currents add.
In a 220 circuit, the neutral will carry 0 amps when the two hot legs have equal current in them.

Second, as to the current in the neutral: Remember that in some parts of the country, rv pedestals can be fed by 2 phases of a 3 phase system (i.e. you have 110-208 service instead of 110-220 service). In this case, the cancellation of the current in the neutral isn't perfect since the two currents are only 120 degrees out of phase and not 180, so you get a full 50 amp current when using both legs at 50 amps...(the current that could be on the 3rd phase if also hooked to your RV, but is probably hooked up with phase 1 to the rv on your left and with phase 2 to the rv on your right, with all three of those neutral currents combining to a net of zero on the neutral.

Custom on the west coast tends to supply only 110 and 220, the east coast tends to use 208v supplies. All up to the utility when it designs the system. You do everything else the same anyway.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #48
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tquarles View Post
Custom on the west coast tends to supply only 110 and 220, the east coast tends to use 208v supplies..
I'm running 124V here on L1 & L2.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:39 AM   #49
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Custom on the west coast tends to supply only 110 and 220, the east coast tends to use 208v supplies. All up to the utility when it designs the system.
I have never encountered 208 V service on the east coast or anywhere else. It's always 240 V service.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Convention in the United States is to take one phase (leg) of the higher-voltage 3 phase electrical power distributed by the grid and, using a center-tap neutral transformer, producing split-phase 120/240 volt power for final distribution to residential customers.

Quote:
An essential component to a split-phase power system is the dual AC voltage source. Fortunately, designing and building one is not difficult. Since most AC systems receive their power from a step-down transformer anyway (stepping voltage down from high distribution levels to a user-level voltage like 120 or 240), that transformer can be built with a center-tapped secondary winding: (Figure below)

American 120/240 Vac power is derived from a center tapped utility transformer.
Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #51

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Although a 3 phase Wye distribution system will produce 3 legs with 120v to the neutral & 208v between any two hots, it is rarely found outside of commercial buildings. I'm sure somewhere there is a RV park wired as 3 phase, but I've never seen one East or West.

Although 3 phase may well be used to distribute high voltage, Rusty's description is the most common final distribution of power used outside of facilities that make use of the advantages of 3 phase for electric motors. In his diagram the 2.4K high voltage side of the transformer could be one leg of a 3 phase delta distribution system. The other two phases would be connected to additional transformers feeding other parts of the RV Park. As far as the end user can tell, they are looking at a single phase 120/240v power source.
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
50 Amp install

My first suggestion is that you dig the ditch and then call a pro.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #53

Winnebago Owners Club
Say what??