Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2017, 01:48 PM   #1

5th wheels getting more popular than MHs?

We're just finishing up 2 weeks at Topsail Reserve at Santa Rosa beach in Florida. IRS one of our favorite places and have been coming here for 3 years. It seems as though there are many more big, new shiny 5th wheels here (being pulled by big, shiny diesel 250/350 pickups) than newer MHs. Just wondering if this is a trend? We went the MH route because I have no need for a big pickup as my daily driver. Maybe the 5th wheel gets daddy his big ole truck and mommy her huge house on wheels?

We've owned almost every Type of RV except a 5th wheel, so I can't really make an informed comparison.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you gotta have a big truck, why not have a big 5th wheel. On the other hand, I hate trucks, that big bed is worthless 99% of the time, so I'm a motorhomer for life. I like my big leather lazy boy driver seat and the bathroom down the hall and sweety fixing me lunch on the go and big storage and sitting high with a big window and the big Cat way in the back and deciding "motorcycles or Blazer to drive when I get there"?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 03:08 PM   #3

Not sure if it's a new trend but I have noticed a lot of new 5th wheels also. We looked at them and was surprised at what we found. Biggest thing was the lack of storage space compared to our class A. After looking we are staying with what we have.
jim27358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 04:35 PM   #4

5th wheels have a lot of room inside when opened up, that's one thing. As mentioned if you need or have a pickup to pull it that's another. Now add in insurance costs, need liability on a MH, only comprehensive on a trailer. Then there's license/registration fees. Here in MI you purchase a one time permanent plate for a trailer. Our MH, 14 years old is close to $500 a year for registration.

I don't want or have a need for a pickup. I like the MH better and am willing to put with the additional costs of owning one. A 5th wheel works better for others.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Really no need to defend a decision to buy a mh and justify bashing someone else for buying a 5 er. We all buy what we like that's all. I do agree that more and more people are buying 5ers and that shining new truck ! To each his own.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:15 PM   #6

5th wheels getting more popular than MHs?

5th or MH is only a choice.
There ain't no popularity contest! [emoji1]
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #7

We've been hanging out in San Fran area parks for a while and noticed anything new is usually a lower end travel trailer being pulled by half or three quarter ton truck. There are a few new huge fifth wheels being pulled by one tons.
27 foot and over loaded are too heavy for a half ton, and a three quarter ton beats you to death. Otoh, any setup is better than a Moho on tire buying day.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #8

It's have a fifth wheel trailer that sleeps 4 in a bunkhouse. They are very roomy and the floor plans are better than Class A's. Mine is as plush as I'd ever want--at a price 25% of that of an entry level Class A diesel pusher.

Mine stays in the same campground all the time. They are great to stay in for extended time--like winter in Florida.

Motor home are better for road warriors--touring from place to place all the time. Dealing with a toad can be a hassle, however.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #9

seeing more fifth wheel RVS

You won't see many Motor Homes in a state park because many of them won't fit.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
We just traded our MH for a 5th wheel. I made the jump as we will start spending more time at the destination. Ours has a mid bunk house wich gives us a separate room for guests instead of them sleeping in the living room or hallway. Yes it's a monster at 42 feet long and I do pull it with a 1 ton. It all comes down to what you want to what fits your lifestyle.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:27 PM   #11

You have to tow something either a TT (5ER) or a toad! So I chose a pickup truck and a 5ER. I use the bed of my truck constantly either hauling our bikes or mulch or some other item. Both of my sons have pickups too and are always hauling something.
You can't haul items in a motor home other than you and your partner + your gear for the trip. So, for us with a pickup trucks a 5ER is the only way to.
Old 07-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #12

Do you mean national park? We stay at state parks all the time. I'm in one right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
You won't see many Motor Homes in a state park because many of them won't fit.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #13

I read recently that the newest trend is younger people getting into RV'ing. For the most part they are purchasing small, lightweight travel trailers.
They want to be able to tow using their every day vehicle.
KeysVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:54 PM   #14

5er's are more popular now and I would estimate populate campgrounds 3 to 1 over MH's. As mentioned, the 5er gets you a lot of living space for way less than a MH. But I wonder how true this is once you factor in the cost of the new Ram 3500. Another consideration is that, for many folks, the 5er is their home - especially for those working in the oil & gas fields or building pipelines. For many of them, their diesel dually is not only their tow vehicle, but also their work truck. I would say that roughly one-third of the residents at the RV park we are now in near Columbia Falls, Montana work on pipeline construction. Most have 5er's and the rest have TT's.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel