Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Great White, Do you have a Les Schwab in your area? I know they have the 6 volt battery with a great warranty. Try (707) 837-7913 6700 Hembree LnWindsor, CA 95492-6868 6.0 miles
Thanks, I never thought of them.. right next door to Wal-Mart.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 09:54 PM   #16

re: "where do you find 6's at Sam's or Costco?" -- they don't mention them at Costco online as far as I can tell but I've seen them every time I've gone by the automotive department in the Reno and Sparks stores - I use them for a laugh because they were bright yellow placed front and center with big bold "golf cart" labels on them. To me that says they've seen all the 'true deep cycle 6v golf cart myths' so prevalent on these forums and are marketing to the gullible.

Sams just has them in with the rest of the bunch, sometimes stacked at the front of the aisle if on sale or something.

Often the group 27's will have a slight edge on cost per watt hour but the differences are usually within the nominal variability range.

If you want a genuine Trojan T105, you can hit Safari or the battery place across the street.

That's around Reno, though.

re: "Do you have a Les Schwab in your area? I know they have the 6 volt battery with a great warranty." -- For NorCal and Pac Norwest, this is one I'd second. I have a group 24 from Les Schwab in the B-Van. The warranty is good and Les Schwab does stand behind what they sell, which covers at least two good points.

I also find that Cabellas and Sportsmans Wharehouse around here usually carry them (they also have some house brand AGM's at a good price). I haven't looked in Scheels (sp?) yet (The Reno area is rather overloaded with these guys but it does make for some good RV related shopping and idea stimulation).

AGM's are nice and they can be shipped via UPS but they usually cost about twice as much as a wet cell and only last 50% longer from the data I've seen (e.g. NAWS FAQ). As with all sealed lead acid batteries, you need to be a bit more careful about overcharging, especially during storage.

A 4D AGM freebie is nice but do be careful about back strains and steel toed shoes...
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:01 PM   #17

Freightliner Owners Club
Was in Costco today and they had lots of 6volt bats for about $87 that was in Sacramento
Old 09-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by autofish View Post
Was in Costco today and they had lots of 6volt bats for about $87 that was in Sacramento
Good to know.. I'm going to Grass Valley on Thursday.. might just have to stop on the way.. or on the way home. Thanks.....

Guess I should ask... Which Costco.. there are a few in the Sacto area...
Old 09-13-2011, 11:49 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
That would be the Citrus Heights Costco on Auburn bld. Have also seen them in the Rancho store and the Folsum store.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:44 AM   #20

in dfw area both sams and cost go have 6 volt. for the t-105 there is a shop here that sells batterys and does electrical work thats where i found the trogens for $105 i didnt know that was cheap (in arlington) now in dallas metroplex battery sells new and blems i bought 2 31 series 12 volt to get 24 volts for bass boat for $65 for pair i abused them they were 10 years old when i sold the boat and still strong
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 09:47 AM   #21

Well, the regional inventory manager for Costco said they don't typically stock any 6v batts but he can special order them. He said about half of the stores stock 8 V batteries for golf carts. I asked him about the Citrus Heights store and he said they didn't have any.. just 8V.

I'd guess the 8 V would definitely not work.. but, I'm not an expert here. Series/Parallel would give 16V+ so, would probably float at about 18V. That's a bunch more than 13V.

Just got a call from Les Schwab.. they don't stock them but are happy to order.. $95 ea. argghh. I think Costco said they could order them and are $89 ea. So pretty close.. the big difference is Costco has 36 month full warranty and 100 month limited warranty. Les S is only one year... period.

So, I'll have to make some phone calls.. Guess I better start liking detective work
Old 09-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #22

Triple E Owners Club
Well you could series an 8 and 4 volt battery. What kind of price does Les Schwab have on their 6 volt battery?
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneRVer View Post
Well you could series an 8 and 4 volt battery. What kind of price does Les Schwab have on their 6 volt battery?
Now that would be scary.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
When connected to shore power, 12 volt usage comes from batteries via the inverter and is recharged. I've noticed this also applies to 110v GFCI. We plugged too many things in once (winter time) and tripped an inverter breaker. My batteries are bubbling and going through gallons of water in the winter (Normal according to Trojan). I do not use much distilled water in the summer.

Gel Batteries? Pros? Cons? My understanding is you need to use deep cycle 6v batteries for the proper load, drain cycle and recharge cycle when in use.

Would 12v batteries overheat and crack? Damage them?
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #25

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the line "you don't need a Caddi when a Chevy will do"

Same car in some cases. the only difference between one model of Cadillac and I think the Chevy Nova was the paint job. Same car, Same assembly line.. (The key was the "Grab" style handles on the Chevy for many years, most models had gone to "Flush" handles (where you put your hand in and pull the paddle out) but the Caddy used grab type (You grab the handle and push a button with your thumb) long after the others had changed. The chevy which was sold as a Cadillac had to use the Caddi handles.

Sam's still has the Enegerizer six volt by Johnson Controls.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:32 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would go with Sams Club, All you are buying is weight (lead), good warranty,good price, one in every big town.
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #27

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise My local Costco got in a shipment today. They were dated 6/11 and the warranty was not what I was led to believe.. but, I guess if I keep them up I should get good life out of them.. $89 ea less $9 core charge.. so.. $320 + Calif's ripoff and we are good. On the good side.. they were 1/2 the price of Trojan's. They will probably last as long as I keep this rig.. and downsize to a Casita..

Thanks for all the input...

Dang, them things are heavy for an old f@rt like me. Not too bad really.. about 70# each.. but the real issue was getting the first battery out of a tight compartment.. and then getting the last one back in. Otherwise it went smooth as a baby's butt.....

If I can't find the info, I'll open a new thread on charging..
Old 09-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #28

I recently had to replace my T-105s while in the boonies of Colorado--finally found 2 matching NAPA batteries in Glenwood Springs. $134.95 ea. When put sidexside to T-105s, could not tell difference except color.
I looked at 2 Costcos and Walmarts all over W. CO--none carried 6 volts, and places that might have had them said 'Nope, we're out"
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery