Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to BlauMax
6 V Battery Replacements

Well, after going over a bunch of old threads.. I saw Costco, Wally World, Interstate and Trojan. These threads go back about 3-4 yrs or so.

I have Trojans (4 T-105's).. and the prior owner must have let the fluid levels run low. It's an 06 coach so probably at end of life anyhoo.

So, I go online and call Costco.. No longer stock 6V
So, I go online and call WalMart. No longer stock 6V

Interstate is almost as much as Trojans.. < $10 difference

So, it looks like Trojans unless someone has recent experience
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #2

Triple E Owners Club
why not put in a couple of 12's?
OneRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:31 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You get what you pay for. 6 volt are better than 12. Consider how much use they will get and if you're willing to put a charger on them when parked for long periods. Also warrantees and replacements vary. If you have solar, or storage location is a factor, consider AGMs that don't vent and can placed on any side. Being cheap on battery choice is like being cheap on tires. Guaranteed head aches.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
hard to beat the trojans. used em for many years. should last up to 10 years if you treat em right.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
You get what you pay for. 6 volt are better than 12. Consider how much use they will get and if you're willing to put a charger on them when parked for long periods. Also warrantees and replacements vary. If you have solar, or storage location is a factor, consider AGMs that don't vent and can placed on any side. Being cheap on battery choice is like being cheap on tires. Guaranteed head aches.
I agree on your statement about the 6 volt battery. But most people drive from campground to campground and do very little dry camping, so, why spend the extra money on 6 volt battery when a 12 volt will do you just as good? Just asking. Might learn something.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you try Sam's Club?
Old 09-13-2011, 05:37 PM   #7

i have to vote trogens t105 go for $105 each i ran and abused 12 volt 31 series in bass boat for 15 years that said how much boondocking do you do to the price difference if only at full hooks up its yourn moove
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #8

To answer a couple of questions.. I would prefer the 6V given the option. I will consider 12V if that's all I can get.. reasonably.

Yes, ya get what you pay for sometimes.. Sometimes you don't need a Caddy when a Chevy will do. I, likely, will not be doing a ton of dry camping so, the 12V might be a viable option... but, as I said.. given the option.. I'd rather have 6V.

As mentioned, neither Costco nor Wal-Mart stock 6V any longer.. I would guess that includes Sam's Club (Walmart for all intents.)

Now, whem2fish... I'd like to find out where you get T-105's for $105 ea. I'd be there in a NY minute. Locally, they are about $165.. Lotta dinero... IMO.

I can probably get by with the T-105's currently in the rig.. but they are not up to snuff. Two are below 6V and two are about 6.5v. I guess I could trash the lowest ones and series the other two... for now.

Next year, my son will have a bunch of 1 yr old 4D's.. that'll be free and essentially unused. Maybe I can get by.. but.... dang, it'd be nice to have the brown beauties.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #9

re: "You get what you pay for. 6 volt are better than 12" - if you can find any evidence for this that someone will put their money on, let me know. All the data I have seen refutes the assertion.

Both Costco and Sams sell 6v batteries that are suitable replacements for a T105, such batteries should be easy to find at most battery retailers that cater to the RV and sportsman crowd. Maybe you needed to call a different store? (last I checked was a couple of months ago - has something changed since then?)

Note that lead acid batteries are a mature technology with just a few OEM's. Brand name, voltage, and labels aren't worth much as buying input. Buy from a reputable retailer who will stand behind what he sells and use warranty and specifications as your primary criteria.
BryanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #10

Bryan.. where do you find 6's at Sam's or Costco? Every Costco I've called says they don't stock them. I tried calling the Regional office for N.Cal.. but it was too late in the day. Will try again tomorrow.

As for Sam's. I don't belong to them.. but none of the local Walmarts stock them.. and Sam's sorta equals Wally World. I know a lot of the older posts, as I've mentioned, state both SOLD them.. but, not presently so far as I can see.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 PM   #11

Any consideration about getting 6v AGM Lifeline batteries? No acid vapors, no spillage and no acid mess in the battery tray. They are more money, but they will last alot longer and give you more..........
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 07:41 PM   #12

Yep, the 4D 12v I will get from my son next year are AGM's.. pretty expensive anchors

Wish they were available right now..
Old 09-13-2011, 08:17 PM   #13

Last week I replaced my 6volt batteries at Sams Club. They were about $68 each.

Have a nice day - Darrel
Old 09-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #14

Triple E Owners Club
Great White, Do you have a Les Schwab in your area? I know they have the 6 volt battery with a great warranty. Try (707) 837-7913 6700 Hembree LnWindsor, CA 95492-6868 6.0 miles

Tags
battery