Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2014, 04:28 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
That's funny. ..... please don't spend 2400 on batteries. I spent just over 200 for over 400 amp hours of AGM.
Did you buy them used??
Here is a link for $300 ea... (same as Lifeline)

Pls give us a link for yours?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2014, 07:47 AM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
If you need to get creative for space then agm is good option but you also need to get creative in the process.

In regional areas there may be commercial battery companies that are more mom an pop or private instead of corp owned.

Once found you could work with them for used ones.

Many service the cell sites for local carriers.

Lucent equipment uses batteries close to a 4D Size while most of the rest use units that are about 5 wide 15 tall and 22 or so long.

These can be laid on their side and be placed under a bed or placed behind things.

Retail about 300 bucks each for 150 amp hr but surplus ones for 20 to 50 bucks.

Most still have lots of life and you often can hand them a burger and they will let you bring a hf load brick and go through the pallet and get the good ones.

They stockpile them before scrapping them so you may need to wait until a project.
You are really behind the times on AGM technology. The USGS and NWS have been using AGM batteries in remote locations from the arctic to the antarctic for several years.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
As to the original question, I purchased Deka Dominators, they were
$ 215.00 each. Lifelines are more money, and are even higher
quality than the Dekas. After 5 years of service, I have had zero
problems and they are still as good as new.
As to all the rest of the discussions in the posts, there are
benefits and disadvantages to each category of battery. I went
AGM for two reasons: no maintenance and zero corrosive gases
in the compartment to damage the cables and other metal
components. These were the most important issues for me.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
We bought the Powersafe V front connector model made by Enersys. The down side is the weight. They are appr. 120 pounds each. We bought them from our local battery supplier here in OKC. I believe they were actually made in Canada. We have the 190 amp hour model. Enersys uses a shorter discharge time which (I believe) makes these batteries actually more than 200 hours at the 20 hour rate that is typically used. They were indeed new when we bought them. The literature states a 10 year life but we only need 5 years to be completely happy.

I don't believe that people that buy AGM's are throwing away their money as some have suggested. When using AGM's our average battery cost is likely more than other batteries over the life of the RV.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:14 AM   #19

I'm here in okc where did you buy them I need 8 batteries how much are them do they install
REB16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
We bought the Powersafe V front connector model made by Enersys. The down side is the weight. They are appr. 120 pounds each. We bought them from our local battery supplier here in OKC. I believe they were actually made in Canada. We have the 190 amp hour model. Enersys uses a shorter discharge time which (I believe) makes these batteries actually more than 200 hours at the 20 hour rate that is typically used. They were indeed new when we bought them. The literature states a 10 year life but we only need 5 years to be completely happy.

I don't believe that people that buy AGM's are throwing away their money as some have suggested. When using AGM's our average battery cost is likely more than other batteries over the life of the RV.
Are the Powersafe V AGM? Looks like they are valve regulated lead acid...
Old 11-02-2014, 04:10 PM   #21

AGM and VRLA are usually same thing just different name.

Front post are usually communications grade so usually better grade but not always.

C&D had a run that failed badly due to poor internal support.

Before pulling trigger on any unit always google the full part number and the manufacturer just to see if there are anything interesting on the net about them.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
AGM and VRLA are usually same thing just different name.
see here for difference:
Battery Type Comparison

Regular lead acid: about $100
VRLA (RV): about $150
AGM (RV): about $300

Price for 6 lead acid $600, AGM $1800.
I still think AGM not worth the dif. in an RV application...
Old 11-02-2014, 07:21 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
AGM's were worth the $$$ to me. To each his own.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 04:36 AM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi REB16,
The best AGM battery brand is Lifeline.
Is this your opinion or do you have some independent testing results of each brand that will support that statement? When it comes to batteries I want the best available.
Some who post here do not mind the task of checking the water in flooded batteries remaining on their to do list. For me, I'm trying to take tasks off the to do list. Lifeline batteries meet this requirement.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:00 PM   #25

damn you need a crane to get them in
edsperfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:42 PM   #26

I just purchased 4 Interstate Deep Cycle AGM T-105s for $220 each. 6-volt, 200 amp-hours. The four together provide 12 volts at 400 amp-hours.

The lack of corrosive fumes in the battery bay and no more maintenance were the big selling points for me. Fortunately my inverter-charger has an AGM setting.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:57 PM   #27

I just purchased 4 Lifeline AGMs to replace 2 old flooded batteries. In order to accommodate 4 vs 2 my dealer provided a quote on the modification of the battery tray. Comparing the cost of 4 new flooded batteries and the tray modification vs 4 AGMs and simply fitting them sideways above my LP tank, the price was about even.

I opted to spend the money on the batteries instead of the modifications. By the time its all said and done, I'm going to be spending about the same, have maintenance-free batteries, and have a total of 600 amp hours instead of 460.
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:33 PM   #28

If you venture in really cold weather, AGM is the way to go. Flooded will freeze and Lithium will not take a charge below 32 degrees F.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries