Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

6v or 12v battery system?

1999 Fleetwood Bounder 39Z diesel. Thinking about replacing my 4 house batteries before my next trip. Current batteries are Interstate U2200UTL which I think are pretty old. When I cross referenced with Interstate, they gave me GC2XHDUTL. This is a 6v battery. Is the 6v correct for my motorhome? Every battery guy I talk to seems to think that it should have a 12v. Thanks in advance for your replies...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A bit of Googling shoes the U2200UTL to be a 6volt battery. With the GC2XHDUTL being it's replacement.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #3

Stump: All the RVs can take advantage of a 6v or 12 v system.... If you have 12V like mine did... you make a few simple wire jumpers and reconfigure the battery from Parallel to Series like I have. You gain macho battery plating and a little more Amp Hour use from the 6V type. If you are not sure what battery config you have.... a 4 pack of 6V batteries are configures as 2 each Series...then a pair set in parallel..... making 2 12 volt banks from 4 6v batteries.
I used Trojan T-105 batteries.... they are a bit taller than most 12V types. I think the following video might be most helpful

How To Wire 6-Volt RV Battery Series - YouTube
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #4

Six volt batterys are actually just half of a 12 volt battery, and gives you more bang for your buck, which is why the majority of RVers use them.

I'd suggest a little study on battery' and their use.

Ed
Old 10-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Are your current batteries 6v? I'd replace like for like.

Your system is almost certainly 12v but it's very common... and in fact probably more efficient... to use two 6 v batteries wired in series to feed the coach. I'm betting that your four house batteries are 6v wired with two pairs being in series to get your 12v and then the pairs wired together in parallel to provide a lot of amp hour capacity.

These wiring arrangements can be a rat's nest of wires so if you're going to replace them yourself be sure to label everything well and take a photo or two so you are absolutely sure how the wires go back on. Mistakes here are not good.

Best of luck.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes the batteries are correct. They are 2-6 volt batteries connected in series for 12 volts. The other 2 are also connected in series for 12 volts, then both pairs are connected in parallel for the additional power storage or amp/hours.

The U2200 batteries may have been discontinued and the GC2XHDUTL are the replacement equivalent. They are good batteries and should last as long as the U2200's did. The GC2 line of batteries are deep cycle batteries commonly used on golf carts and work well for house batteries on RV's.

Interstate Batteries Golf Results Page -
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 AM   #7

Thanks for all of the replies. I just wanted to make sure that the previous owner didn't make a mistake that I needed to correct. Sound like I am currently set up for 6v and I will make sure that I connect the new batteries in the same way. Thanks again. This members of this site never cease to amaze me!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First two suggestions:
1: Before you do anyting pick up two small cans or bottles (Model paint works well) of paint, one Red, One Black.

On the batteries there are some wires hooked to the POSITIVE terminal of one of them that run "off to somewhere (Someplace other than another battery) Paint these RED.

Likewise there are some wires running off to somewhere on one of the Negative terminals. Paint them black.

Now the second suggestion: TAKE PICTURES

Now you can reference how to hook 'em up.

Now, "Six or 12 volt" There are no six volt systems, all are 12 volt systems. Some are like this -{Battery}+ and some are -{Bat}t{ery}+ (2 six volt in series) but all are 12 volt.

The GC-2 Golf Car battery really is no different than a 12 volt DEEP CYCLE battery (Golf car battery) except for two things.

1: it is way easier to find.. Golf courses order them by the pallet load. 12 volt DEEP CYCLE (not marine/deep cycle) can be hard to locate, though EZ-Go cars use 'em.

2: Due to the large quanity that are made every year they are less expensive as a general rule (Sales rates may except this).

And this second reason is what makes them so popular. More (most) bang for your buck.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
For any Newbie, here are two links that are valuable when dealing with 12 VDC.

I would suggest that you bookmark these for reference.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 10-04-2013, 09:58 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Before disconnecting existing batteries, take a few pictures to help you get the new ones installed correctly.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #11

This is a great little tutorial that makes it simple.
Battery Solar battery Parallel & Series Connections - YouTube
Old 10-05-2013, 05:17 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
Thanks for all of the replies. I just wanted to make sure that the previous owner didn't make a mistake that I needed to correct. Sound like I am currently set up for 6v and I will make sure that I connect the new batteries in the same way. Thanks again. This members of this site never cease to amaze me!
check this resource:

SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump Jumper View Post
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 39Z diesel. Thinking about replacing my 4 house batteries before my next trip. Current batteries are Interstate U2200UTL which I think are pretty old. When I cross referenced with Interstate, they gave me GC2XHDUTL. This is a 6v battery. Is the 6v correct for my motorhome? Every battery guy I talk to seems to think that it should have a 12v. Thanks in advance for your replies...
Stump Jumper,
6V Golf Cart batteries have been used for house batteries in RVs for decades. It's kind of hard for me to believe that "Battery" guys are trying to lead you to 12V units in that application. Yes, there are coaches with 12V units in house battery service and, many folks are happy with them. But, the main, primary reason for the use of 6V units is they have longer durations and more amper/hours per given battery. They are built quite differently than their so called "Counter-part" RV Marine-Deep Cycle units. 6V units are more aptly aimed at "boon docking" type camping/RVing because people like the duration in the out back. But, that's not to say they can't or don't work for those that are RV park oriented too.

So, if you had Interstate 6V units in there, and, were happy with their performance, I'd just stick with what you had and just renew the whole set of four. I'm not a fan of Interstates due to experiencing a whole series of them going bad in less than a year. When I posted here about that incident, many had the same issues. But, that's something you'll have to decide on.

I went with the Costco units when I retrofitted our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT. I had three Interstate 12V units in there as house batteries when we bought the rig about 28 months ago. But, those turned out to be junk so, I changed to (4) Costco Golf Cart 6V units and have been happy ever since. Your call.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #14

I'd replace them with Fullriver DC224-6 6-volt AGM batteries. But that's just me.

Tags
battery