Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #1

7 mpg! Is that normal?? 89 fleetwood jamboree

It seem pretty bad. were new at this we just bought our first 24 foot rv ford 460. just wondering what to expect

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclonemerry1 View Post
It seem pretty bad. were new at this we just bought our first 24 foot rv ford 460. just wondering what to expect
In our experience with a 32' National RV and the Ford V10 - 7MPG is on the good side. You might want to check out this thread Ford F53 Fuel Mileage what's yours or do some searches for fuel mileage.

In my estimation, you're not likely to see more than 6-7 MPG

That's kind of a hard pill to swallow sometimes - fuel in our local area in CT is running about $4.10/gal for the lowest grade, and with a 73 gallon fuel tank it certainly takes a lot out of the wallet - but then again, for the most part, none of us bought our motorhomes for the fuel mileage.

In the ~14 months that we have owned our motorhome, an average fill up has increased by about $60 using average fuel prices in our area ...and I'm afraid, that that number will only climb in the months and years to come.

2Labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:31 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I get a shade over 7 MPG with my Ford V-10. I try to never drive over 60 MPH and use Cruise Control as much as I can. How you drive it can have a big affect as well as what kind of terrian your driving in.
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Speed is our enemy, I drive 55 or so and accelerate very slowly, it helps but....These bricks push a lot of air.

Last w/e I spent 2 nights in a private cabin (my MH) in the pines with hot and cold running everything, a private patio and NO neighbors. I figure it's still a good deal. Plus I trailered my little 4X4. If someone had driven the 4X4 and I drove the MH, the combined avg would be 15 mpg! So that's what I (sorta) got on the trip!!

Heck the 2 nights in the private cabin in the woods would have been as much as the gas for my little 220 mile round trip!

Oh yea, 7's about what we get plus or minus. I really don't bother figuring the MPG and just enjoy the outing.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I had a 1990 E350 Econline based Jamboree that was 27'. Your coach and my old Jamboree have the Ford 460 engine which was a good engine back then. I'm guessing that you're driving it like a car and pretty fast to get 7 mpg. At 63 mph, I routinely got 8.7- 9.0. When towing my 4500 pound boat, I was getting 7 - 7.5.

Here are some upgrades I did to make it run better without sinking a bunch of money in it.That engine has a catalytic converter that was known to clog, reduce power and decrease mileage. The exhaust exits the headers at 3" and enters the catalytic converter at 3". The exhaust exiting the converter is 2.5". There is enough meat on the back of the converter to cut it (legally) back to 3" and make the exhaust system 3" all the way to the tailpipe. I also removed the stock exhaust and replaced it with a standard 5 ton truck muffler. This modificaton will cost about $300.00 to have it done. The benefits are that it will keep the converter from going bad, quiet up the exhaust on the RV and increase mileage and performance.

The second thing you can do is free. Remove the air cleaner housing. Inside you'll find what looks like two trumpets on the nose of the air cleaner (under the hoses). These are designed to increase air flow at lower speeds. Cut them off. They'll give you better performance and more air flow. The downside, they helped with air flow at lower speeds and can cause the MH to be slightly less resposive in the 30 mph range, but who cares.

Finally, I added hose to the air cleaner snorkel and ran it down to the grill on the passenger side to force air into the the air cleaner. You'll be happy with the power increase, especially pulling grades.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #6

cyclone...don't let the V-10 comparisons get to you. That is like comparing a Chevy to your engine...2 completely different animals with different technology and amount of cylinders.

While 7mpg is not a fun pill to swallow...it is not out of line....a few things you can do to make it as good as possible...Complete tune up, drive a bit slower, don't haul unneeded items with you, make sure tires are properly inflated and don't use the cruise control on hilly terrain
Old 08-25-2012, 06:04 AM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:

That was about normal for me. While you are learning about it do some search for in tank fuel pumps. They were an issue and can be hard to diagnose. First thing I would do is find the inline filter under the drivers side frame rail and change it even though it is supposed to last a lot of miles. If there are other fuel filters get them changed too. Try to keep your fuel tank at 1/2 or more on hot days when climbing or pulling hard. The temps in the tank can contribute to failure of the pump. Very common issue so do yourself a favor and check it out. The 460 is a stump puller and on a 24 ft chassis will run like a scalded cat.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
That was about normal for me. While you are learning about it do some search for in tank fuel pumps. They were an issue and can be hard to diagnose. First thing I would do is find the inline filter under the drivers side frame rail and change it even though it is supposed to last a lot of miles. If there are other fuel filters get them changed too. Try to keep your fuel tank at 1/2 or more on hot days when climbing or pulling hard. The temps in the tank can contribute to failure of the pump. Very common issue so do yourself a favor and check it out. The 460 is a stump puller and on a 24 ft chassis will run like a scalded cat.
I know the recommended fuel filter interval for 454 is 5000 miles, it has 1/2" inlet/outlets! I keep a spare onboard.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to Gadget63 Send a message via Yahoo to Gadget63
I drive our bounder at 55 - 60 mph. I too use cruise control as much as possible and accelerate gently and slowly. We have driven over 7,300 miles so far since mid May when we bought the rig and according to my calculations, we are getting an overall average of 7.5 mpg. Our best tank of gas was 9.8 mpg when we were driving through the plains states and the worst was 6.6 mpg driving over the Rockies. We don't have a toad yet and I know those figures will drop once we do, but I'm never in a rush to get anywhere.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #10

Quote:
I had a 88 Fleetwood 26' Jamboree w/FI460. I put 80,000 miles on it. It had 150,000 miles when I sold it. I avg'd 7mpg at 60-65mph not towing anything.

Just before I sold it, I installed 3" exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler downstream from the cat converter, and a Gear Vendors overdrive on the C6 trans. I didn't take any long trips to check the mpg improvement before I sold it
Old 08-30-2012, 01:45 AM   #11

I have a smaller old Class B, but I increased my mileage 25% by slowing down to 60 - 63, using cruise control and turning off the air conditioning. I had to remember it was built when the speed limit was 55.

The price of freedom is eternal fuel bills.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #12

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
My previous rv was a 1994 p37 w/ 454, yes not a Ford I know, However I got better mileage running 70-73 than I did at 60-65. The motor just seemed happier at that speed and I would get ave. 8.5mpg. Think of pedalling a ten speed bike in high gear, you have to get up to a certain speed before the pedalling gets easier.
I suggest trying different speeds to help determine where your engine is it's happiest. You should be able to tell just by listening to the engine, it won't sound so loaded down. Sometimes slower is not better.
windydaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 09:34 PM   #13

We had an '85 26' Jamboree Class C with a carburated Ford 460. We got about 6 mpg at sea-level and less than 5 in the mountains.

First thing I'd check is the brake fluid. The underhood temperature with the 460 gets so high, it can evaporate the volatile components in the fluid until it looks like molasses in Anchorage in January. That clogs up the rear brakes so bad, the return springs can't release them. Just before we sold that POS, we found we couldn't get above 55 mph on a flat road with no wind.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Labs View Post
That's kind of a hard pill to swallow sometimes - fuel in our local area in CT is running about $4.10/gal for the lowest grade, and with a 73 gallon fuel tank it certainly takes a lot out of the wallet - but then again, for the most part, none of us bought our motorhomes for the fuel mileage.
I'll take that $4.10/gal! Diesel is higher than that here and we've got a 150 gallon tank!

Now, to answer the OP's question:
Our '98 35' Santara 460 and Banks kit towing a '95 Odyssey on a dolly got us 5.5 to 7.0 if I was careful!

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood