Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2019, 07:02 PM   #1

8.3 high idle.

Just purchased a new to me 2000 . Newmar Dutchstar with the Spartan chassis and 8.3 Cummins. Couple questions for you all. I'm not new to diesels by any means and have driven many big rigs out there including motorcoach busses. One thing that I'd really like to have on my Newmar is a high idle option, it does not have it, kind of surprising to me. With the motor coaches we would sit with them on high idle all day long in the cold temps. Since mine does not have the high idle switch is there any way to add such a thing? I've tried setting the cruise but that didn't do it. Any advice on that I would be great. Also my Newmar pulls to the right pretty significant. All new ball joints and tie rods, maybe they just didn't align it but seems kind of strange. Any thoughts on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help..
Mrbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #2

Does the cruise control work otherwise? Can you actually set the cruise on the highway? Just wondering if it's broken.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 07:46 PM   #3

on the cruise you should just be able to push the accel a few times to get the rpms where you want them.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #4

http://images.adfdiesel.com/store/en...v_brochure.pdf I suspect the above vendor can provide you with the idle control you are requesting. We use them on farm trucks to control cold weather warm up and the power takeoff speed, but you do have to be sure the transmission is in neutral and the brakes locked for safety.
I recommend contacting Spartan Service and Support for assistance regarding the chassis pulling. There are a number of reasons the chassis can be pulling to the side, and their technical folks can assist you in identification of both the problem and a qualified repair center. » RV Range
Oregonpharme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 09:21 PM   #5

Yes cruise works perfect..
Old 02-17-2019, 09:31 PM   #6

I've tried the cruise on set and on resume/Accel but still nothing. I haven't done it several times though, I'll try that.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:01 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
As far as pulling it sounds like you need a 4 wheel alignment.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
As far as pulling it sounds like you need a 4 wheel alignment.
Ya need to get it into an alignment shop see what's going on..
Old 02-18-2019, 06:29 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
call the chassis MFG
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbitz View Post
I've tried the cruise on set and on resume/Accel but still nothing. I haven't done it several times though, I'll try that.
On my 2008 KSDP (Cummins/Spartan) it only takes one press on the Accel button to get fast idle. But 2008 is a long way from 2000.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbitz View Post
With the cruise ON, depress the accelerator to rev the engine above 12-1500 RPM. Press the cruise set button, release the accerator, and it should hold high idle between 1000 & 1200 RPM. Touch the brake to release and go back to low idle.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:29 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Mrbitz,
For an unknown reason only the Spartan factory in Charlotte, Michigan can get the alignment correct on my coach. So every couple of years I make the pilgrimage to Spartan. Might be the same for you.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:56 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Get a tire shop to swap your front tires side to side. It may be just a bad tire causing the pull.
Happened more times than I can count to customers when I worked on highway trucks.
Your ECM should be set up for fast idle, like Dennis said. If not you may need a stop at a Cummins dealer to set you up.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:11 PM   #14

You might be able to make your own high idle if you can get a wiring diagram for your year and engine model.

I had it installed on my last 3 trucks at the dealer. I know Ford has a HI kit and can be installed in about an hour.
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote