Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2014, 10:03 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
I generally drive around 60 - 62. I have observed folks passing me at higher rates of speed and they seem to be going OK. My observation also includes being passed two or three times by the same units.

I recall one in particular. A pickup truck towing a TT would literally smoke by. Truck was jacked up on large tires, big drop hitch and smoke pouring out of the exhaust. The rig passed us three times the first day and two times the second day.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #30

Rexhall Owners Group
62 - 65 is the goal for me in the mh. I like to be no farther below the typical flow than 20 - 25 MPH. With that difference in mind, I would hesitate to use an interstate with a speed limit above 80.

When the grandson I rode our bikes out west two years ago, we usually found passing versus being passed speed was about equal at 5 over for roads with 70 or lower speed limits. But it dropped to the speed limit on roads with a 75 MPH limit. OP;s comment about speeds with the 80 MPH limit suggest most people are comfortable at 75 or so and don't speed up even if the limit goes up.

To me the differential between the fastest and slowest speeds is a bigger issue than the actual speed. Coming up on someone at a relative 25 miles per hour gives time to react, but at a relative 50 MPH you better have really good reflexes.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:48 PM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with the others on checking the speed rating on your tires. Exceeding that mixed with running a lower air pressure for better ride adds up to a probable blow out.

Most semi's that are owned by company's operating large fleets are speed restricted, somewhere between 60 and 65.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:25 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I generally drive around 60 - 62. I have observed folks passing me at higher rates of speed and they seem to be going OK. My observation also includes being passed two or three times by the same units.

I recall one in particular. A pickup truck towing a TT would literally smoke by. Truck was jacked up on large tires, big drop hitch and smoke pouring out of the exhaust. The rig passed us three times the first day and two times the second day.

He probably passed you that many times because he had to stop for gas with the speed and poor rolling resistance from the big tires.
Old 01-01-2015, 01:58 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I watch the MPG estimator feature of my ECC (engine control computer) and when I pass 55 it drops a bit, after 60 it resembles a rock in free fall most of the time.. So that's where I park the cruise control 55-60.

I will admit, once back before the motor home, I got passed like I was parked, while doing 55mph on the freeway.

My wife ask what was that (Van shook, that van almost never shook) I told her.

Michigan State Police 5.0 Mustang in one big hurry. That was a go-fast car.
Old 01-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #34

Let me just say, being on the road for 7 years anyone who would drive a motorhome at 75 mph or above has got to be a complete idiot. They endanger the lives of their family, or friends riding with them and also the lives of others on the road. Anything can happen without warning and usually does. I drive no more than 62 to 65 mph, but I have seen a motorhome come by me, that must have going 75 to 80 mph, only to find down the road crashed. He blew a front tire and flipped the motorhome. The result, two dead. Another time one passed me at a high rate of speed only to lose control and hit a bridge abutment. The two people in the front were killed instantly and the other badly injured. So why the need for speed????
Old 01-01-2015, 07:54 AM   #35
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have to worry about an 80 MPH speed limit. I drive 60 on all 4-lane and Interstates!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Check the speed rating on your tires if you are considering sustained travel at or above 75 MPH. Most truck 22.5 tires are speed rated at 75 MPH.
Good advice, plus if your trailer has ST tires, they are limited to 65.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:59 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Kirby View Post
Let me just say, being on the road for 7 years anyone who would drive a motorhome at 75 mph or above has got to be a complete idiot. They endanger the lives of their family, or friends riding with them and also the lives of others on the road. Anything can happen without warning and usually does. I drive no more than 62 to 65 mph, but I have seen a motorhome come by me, that must have going 75 to 80 mph, only to find down the road crashed. He blew a front tire and flipped the motorhome. The result, two dead. Another time one passed me at a high rate of speed only to lose control and hit a bridge abutment. The two people in the front were killed instantly and the other badly injured. So why the need for speed????

Tell us how you really feel about this!

I agree with you completely.
They just up the speed limit here in Idaho to 80 on the interstates and what a mess we have now. It is a complete joke!
Old 01-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #38

In my book, if it ain't safe at 75, it ain't safe at 60. Anyone thinking there's some huge safety increase in there that makes one speed "crazy dangerous" and the slower speed "perfectly safe" is just fooling themselves.

The real truth is, there's probably way too many people driving big motorhomes that are unsafe at any speed.

Steve
Old 01-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Road designs are based on speed. Most highways are designed with a higher speed rating than the posted speed. Recent increases in speed have likely closed up any safety factor included in the design and build. I believe the recent speed increases have more to do with political decisions than anything else.

Unfortunately the design standards were developed in a time prior to many of the distractions we now have available (cell phones, texting, etc). I am not sure how the standards could be upgraded to account for inattention and excessive speed.

Practically the capacity of a highway decreases with speed because of larger spacing requirements. As volume increases the practical speed will decrease and at some point the volume will serve to slow everyone down including the lane changers. The highest capacities are generally achieved during rush hour traffic baring an accident or gridlock.

IMO as long as one is at the minimum speed posted on the highway you are good to go. Traveling faster in order to keep people from passing around you does not serve much purpose. I doubt there are many accidents where rear end accidents are not caused by inattention. In my limited knowledge base I am not aware of many rear end accidents at any highway speed including the differential speeds. Most are caused by following too close and being unable to stop when the vehicle in front is braking.

IMO there will be accidents regardless of how safe the highway is and how safe vehicles become. Caveat - unless vehicles take over the driving control of all vehicles. Driving faster just means the pileup will be bigger when it does happen and if we are driving 80 instead of 60 it is more likely we will be in the pileup as well.
Old 01-01-2015, 12:37 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
In my book, if it ain't safe at 75, it ain't safe at 60. Anyone thinking there's some huge safety increase in there that makes one speed "crazy dangerous" and the slower speed "perfectly safe" is just fooling themselves.

The real truth is, there's probably way too many people driving big motorhomes that are unsafe at any speed.

Steve
That is,probably the real truth of the matter.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #41

I guess I never really thought about what the maximum speed is that I should drive a motorhome. I drive at a speed where I feel comfortable and where the RV seems to respond best to hills and such. Seems about 60-65 is probably average, but there are times on curvy, mountainous interstates where 55 or 60 is best (ie the Virginias)... and times on flat straight stretches (ie anywhere in kansas) where 75 seems perfectly fine.

I've only ever gone over 80 a few times just to see if it would do it. It did, but it just didn't feel quite right. I guess if I were to set a maximum safe speed limit for our motorhome, it would probably be 75?

I have seen a few RV crashes in my lifetime... lots of people think they are extra safe cause they are big and heavy, but I don't think that's true for every type of crash. Generally, if you see one rolled over along the side of the road, you almost can't tell what it is save for all the laundry, pots and pans, and housewares spilled all over the road. They nearly disintegrate altogether... and it's not a pretty sight.

That said... I'm not for any additional safety regulations on RV's. It seems the culture over the last 40 years has tried relentlessly to reduce "risk" in all facets of life with endless rules and regulations... I for one, am just kind of tired of "all that." But... I digress...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #42

[QUOTE=FleetMan;2174328]Check the speed rating on your tires if you are considering sustained travel at or above 75 MPH. Most truck 22.5 tires are speed rated at 75 MPH.[/QUOTE

That rating is for a new tires and at 70 some degrees. You put 40k lbs at 95 degrees on six tires and run over 75 mph for a while. Stop and look at the temp of the tires and take out more life insurance for your loved ones

Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote