Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2014, 12:26 AM   #1

80 MPH speed limits, in many states, yeah sure.

Gents,
We just finished a 4K mile trip that encompassed about 9 states. And, from what I've been lead to believe, some of those states have recently enabled an 80 mph speed limit . Well, not only did we not travel at that rate of speed but, it appeared that almost no one did. And that was in multiple states that had that limit. We run right at 62-63 about 99.9% of the time, unless a hill gets in our way, then it's what ever the big beast towing our 1500 series truck, can do on it.

But, one thing I noticed was, when being passed, which was a zillion times in this trip, we were not being passed by folks at a "much" higher rate of speed. In other words, we'd be doing our speed and, a big truck or, even almost all the passenger car types, would take a few seconds to almost a minute to pass us. That's not a sign of a car, truck or motorcycle doing 80 mph. In fact, even at our rate of 62-63, I passed a few over the road trucks. And, like stated, not many would pass me at a much higher (would be indicative of close to 80 mph) speed.

Now, I don't know about your rigs but, in our '04 Itasca Horizon with the C-7 330 CAT towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4x4, full throttle on flat, level ground, most likely CANNOT reach 80 mph. Heck, I passed a couple of gravel trucks on a down hill stretch so I could get out from behind a potential damaged windshield and, it was everything she had to get to about, 77 mph.
It has good acceleration, tows the truck just fine. And, on this trip, at that constant speed, we actually achieved over 8 mpg, several times. That was grounds for celebration for me. That beast usually hovers around 7.0-7. mpg. So, I was real happy with that mileage. And, I'm pretty sure it was the result of cruising at that lower, constant (around 1700 rpms) speed. I could give a R/A (most of you know what that stands for) about how many people passed us.

No one EVER appeared to be mad, or pi$$ed off 'cause they had to pass us. I stay in the right lane consistently unless that lane is so beat up and, there's no one around (in front or in back) us, then I mosey on over to the fast lane and cruise in it, 'till I see a driver coming up on us. Then, it's back over to the beat up lane.

Anyway, that 80 mph speed limit seems like not many are using it, at least in our recent experiences.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 05:54 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I suppose it’s different strokes for different folks. As far as I’m concerned they could raise the speed limit even further. When I travel in my SS Trailblazer my normal cruising speed is about 85, and I spend far more time in that than the MH. When you consider how much better cars are today than they were years ago when the speed limit was set at 65, it makes no sense to restrict them too much. 85 in my Trailblazer is a whole lot safer than 65 was in my first car, a 1953 Pontiac.

When using the MH average speed drops by 5 to 10 MPH. On a recent trip of about 3000 miles, towing a 24’ trailer with two bikes, I got 7.4 MPG on the leg through the Tennessee Mountains to Georgia. There were times when the motor was working pretty hard to maintain speed, and other times when it just plain couldn’t cut it. On the leg home from Alabama to Chicago, pretty flat, I had the cruise control set at 77 and we averaged 8.2 MPG.

I work hard at staying out of everyone’s way and keep to the right as much as possible. Often, that means accelerating a little harder to pass cars so I can get out of the left lane ASAP. Too many people hate RV’s because they often block the road and I don’t want to contribute to that. There have been times when the speedo topped out at the 85 mark as I worked my way around traffic. I have no idea why people accelerate when being passed, but they do.

I’ve been quite happy with the Cummins ISL 400 and it was on my “minimum must have” list when I was shopping for the MH. That said, there are times when I could clearly see the need for another 100 HP. Reserve HP makes driving a little easier.
GaryM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
They can raise it to 100 if they want to but 65 or so will still be fast enough for me. As an old friend once stated.

"If you need to get there earlier, you should leave earlier"
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My best fuel economy is at about 62 to 65. My coach can easily go faster while towing my toad, but you know I am not in any furry. I generally plan 250 miles or so per day and do not leave until about 9 am or so. Again we are in no hurry. We enjoy actually seeing the scenery as we cruise past. IMO pushing a motor, even a diesel, too hard for extended periods will be detrimental to the motor. It can cause overheating, especially in the summer.

I do not mind being passed by others, including Gary. Go for it. Quite often when the speeders go past we call them our "cop catchers". I suppose on occasion I hit 70 to get by a slow moving vehicle, but generally I am not the one passing.

Again, we are not in a hurry and want to enjoy the trip!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:20 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Scott, one question? Did you drive I 10 in Texas between Kerrville and El Paso. The speed limit on that stretch of highway is 85 and believe me they do run that speed. You would have been passed like your motor home was sitting up on blocks. Probably even by other motor homes.

Jerry
Old 08-05-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We are in Rawlins, WY now and have been on I-84 and I-80 thru Utah and WY and noticed the 80 mph speed limits. We also travel at about 62 - 63 and, as Scott noted, few drivers seem to be running 80 mph. Most of the trucks seem to be running at or near 65 but I've been passed by some independent truckers running faster than that.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:37 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Scott,
Get that gold wing out of the pickup and then let me know what speed you run! On a big rig, the drag curve just kills your mpg at higher speeds. 62-65 just seems to be the sweet spot. It is funny how speed limits are becoming less important as folks are more worried about the fuel economy. I could get my coach up to 80, but I sure am not interested in getting 4-5 mpg. 8.5 is painful enough!
Cbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 07:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoc View Post
Scott, one question? Did you drive I 10 in Texas between Kerrville and El Paso. The speed limit on that stretch of highway is 85 and believe me they do run that speed. You would have been passed like your motor home was sitting up on blocks. Probably even by other motor homes.

Jerry
Jerry,
Well Sir, hope no one takes offence to this, especially anyone who lives there but, no, we did not go through El Paso this time on our trip. We had a break down close to El Paso on our last time and spent three days in that "Rot gut" town. Man, what dump. "On the Border Freightliner" is absolutely clueless in motor home repair. So, no, we'll NEVER go through or even near El Paso again. And, even if we encounter a whole series of high speed travelers, no matter what state we're in at the time, that's what slow lanes are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
We are in Rawlins, WY now and have been on I-84 and I-80 thru Utah and WY and noticed the 80 mph speed limits. We also travel at about 62 - 63 and, as Scott noted, few drivers seem to be running 80 mph. Most of the trucks seem to be running at or near 65 but I've been passed by some independent truckers running faster than that.
Hey SML,
We just stayed in Rawlins for a night. Upon entering it, we were pretty sure we'd not find a very nice RV park or campground due to the looks of the town, and its location. But, we were tired and, as usual, the later in the day you arrive in a town, and look for an un-scheduled stop in an RV park or campground, the harder it gets due to the amount of travelers on the road, ending their day at the same time. So, we took a spot in the KOA.
It was ok, but, Rawlins is off our list of "must see" places, that's for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
Scott,
Get that gold wing out of the pickup and then let me know what speed you run! On a big rig, the drag curve just kills your mpg at higher speeds. 62-65 just seems to be the sweet spot. It is funny how speed limits are becoming less important as folks are more worried about the fuel economy. I could get my coach up to 80, but I sure am not interested in getting 4-5 mpg. 8.5 is painful enough!
Cbones,
Well Sir, we didn't take the Goldwing on this trip, this time. You see, I had Carpel Tunnel surgery on the 18th of June and, the Doc told me that I wouldn't be able to ride for quite some time. And, we'd already had plans for this trip to start on the 30th of June. So, since we'd not be able to ride, it was left at home.
As it turns out, the Doctor was a bit off in my particular healing time. I'd have been able to ride easily around a month after the surgery. We encountered some of the nicest riding areas and, some outstanding weather on that trip. Man, I missed the bike. Oh well. Next time. And, by the way, your "Drag curve" may have an influence on other vehicles but, on this rolling Gymnasium, I've gone on trips WITHOUT ANY TOAD, and, kept the same speed and still got only between 7.5 and 8. It is what it is. That tiny bit of added "curvature" in the bed of that truck, makes zilch difference in our mileage. Someone elses may vary.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 AM   #9

On those 80-85 mph speed limit highways you are referring to, what is the posted limit for trucks?
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Scott, no offense taken here. You described El Paso perfectly. Unfortunately if you are going west on I 10 you have no choice in which way to go. It is a long way around to keep from going through there unless you are in New Mexico.

We are like some of the other posters here. I run between 60 and 65. If you don't like that speed then you sure as the devil ain't gonna like the next one even more. My wife and are both retired. We rushed around for so many years it is now time to slow down and enjoy the ride and the scenery.

okgc, that speed limit on I 10 is for all vehicles. The rest of the highways in Texas are 75 mph for all vehicles unless otherwise posted.

Jerry
Old 08-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
[QUOTE=FIRE UP;2169017]Jerry,
Well Sir, hope no one takes offence to this, especially anyone who lives there but, no, we did not go through El Paso this time on our trip. We had a break down close to El Paso on our last time and spent three days in that "Rot gut" town. Man, what dump. "On the Border Freightliner" is absolutely clueless in motor home repair. So, no, we'll NEVER go through or even near El Paso again. And, even if we encounter a whole series of high speed travelers, no matter what state we're in at the time, that's what slow lanes are for.

I have had a few days in motels in EL Paso. When you spend a week there you see the city differently. I still don't care for the place.
As for getting through there on I-10. Enter town in the 2 lane area staying in the right lane. Remain in that lane. Do not change lanes. At times you will be in the second lane from the left (fastest lane) but there will be 2 more lanes on your right. Traffic can pass if they want but all lanes seem to move at the same speed. You will emerge on the other side of town in the right lane when it becomes 2 lane again. Removes all the hassle.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:38 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
California I think is still the only place that requires trucks and anything towing to go 55mph. They do ticket if they catch you. Once we are out of the state thou we go between 60 and 70. The 70 is going downhill We end up with 10 miles to the gallon and that's even towing a 20 ft equipment trailer with a 4Runner and a fully dressed Harley on it.

Oh and for everyone else the posted speed limit is 65mph.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #13

My family and I recently traveled from eastern Iowa, to Yellowstone and back, and experienced the same thing. We traveled West on I-90, and East on I-80. I set the cruise at 65 mph and was surprised to find that I was not being passed like I was setting still, and I actually passed several people. I could really not see a difference between Iowa where the speed limit is 70, and the places where the speed limit was 80 in Wyoming and Nebraska.
Old 08-06-2014, 07:39 PM   #14

Cruisin' the Canadian Prairies at 75 mph(no kph on speedo) lots of pedal left, being passed by everyone on the road.......!
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote