Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #1

I'm trying to prime the pump on my MH and it keeps sucking air into the system. It worked fine last fall when I drained it for the winter. I've tried hooking a hose up to pressurize and fill the water lines and blow all the air out of the lines. After I do this I try to use the pump and it will not prime. Also there are 2 drain lines for the system that I have opened while pressurized to clear air out of the system. What am I doing wrong?

86 Toyota 4Runner Rock Crawler
chuck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 AM   #2

I'm trying to prime the pump on my MH and it keeps sucking air into the system. It worked fine last fall when I drained it for the winter. I've tried hooking a hose up to pressurize and fill the water lines and blow all the air out of the lines. After I do this I try to use the pump and it will not prime. Also there are 2 drain lines for the system that I have opened while pressurized to clear air out of the system. What am I doing wrong?

Old 03-08-2007, 07:02 AM   #3

Chuck7,did you blow out the lines when you drained the lines? If not you may have left some water in and it could have froze. Maybe a split line somewhere. Check to see if you have a leak at the pump.

Joe
full-timer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Can you see your water tank and pump near it, the line from tank may have a valve that you forgot to open in most cases water tank if full should prime the pump if water level is as high as pump. Check your filter on pump to make sure its clean and that you have no bends in pipe coming from tank to pump. Also how do you winterize does your pump suck antifreeze thru pump into water system you had to close valve form tank to do this that valve now needs to be opened.

Welcome to irv2 and do post often and enjoy the forums.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:44 AM   #5

Hi full-timer & 007 thank you for the welcome. I have never owned a rv before so still trying to figure things out. I blew out the lines with compressed air. The rv should revile a split line when I pressurized the system shouldn't it? The rv was pressurized for a while also no leak at pump. Everything looked Ok and the water tank is at the back of rv and the top of said tank is below the bottom of the pump that is located in the middle of rv by the bathroom bad design maybe. I did find a valve behind the pump. Should it be open or closed for 12v pump to operate? of is there a rule of thumb ie open for 12v closed for city water or the other way around? Thanks Chuck

Old 03-08-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Chuck7..
I can't help you with your problem...but I can welcome you to the forum! You will enjoy it here. Many people will chip right in with suggestions -
Good luck getting the water pump primed and the system ready so you can travel.
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:13 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
How do you fill your water tank by operating a valve or from a sidewall fill spout. If you have water in tank operate valve opposite what it is and see if you get water thru water pipes. Make sure your not connected to city water because it may over ride pump action.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:57 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

When you say the pump doesn't prime, I'm guessing you mean you hear it running but no water flows out the faucets. Or did you actually disconnect the hose at the pump outlet and observe that no water is moving through the pump? [That's the way to determine which half of the system has the problem]

In most systems the city water/fill valve (if so equipped) will be after the pump, i.e. on the pump output side. If it was before the pump, city water would have to flow through the pump to get to the faucets. However, I have seen or heard of stranger plumbings designs in RVs - just about anything is possible. In any case, the pump should work whether the fill valve is open or closed. What generally happens with the fill valve open is that pumped water simply returns to the tank and/or pump inlet and the system never fully pressurizes. The pump runs continuously and water flow at the faucets will be weak because pressure is very low, but there should be some water trickling out the faucets.

If there is a valve between the pump inlet and the tank, it obviously must be open in order for the pump to move water. I can't imagine why there would be a valve there, but as I said anything is possible.

Failure to pump water is typically caused by an air leak on the input side of the pump, i.e. between pump and tank. That sort of leak won't show when you connect city water because it is on the other side of the check valve inside the pump. A damaged diaphragm inside the pump is the other major cause. A pump diaphragm can crack either because it was old and dried out or because a bit of water was trapped inside and ice ruptured it. Blockage in the pump inlet strainer on the side of the pump (if it has one) can also cause it, but I would not suspect that in this scenario.

These pumps are pretty reliably self-priming, but you could try forcing a bit of water through the pump from the inlet side, just to be sure.
Another fairly easy test is to get a short length of clear hose (any hardware store will have the right diameter) and connect it between pump inlet and a bucket of water. Turn it on and see if it moves water up the hose.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #9

007 & RV Roamer That was the problem I was bypassing the pump. I guess when I opened the drain valves last fall I turned the gate valve that controls between city water and tank water and that closed the flow from the tank. All I know is its primed and working great. I'm bookmarking this page lots of useful information. Thanks for the help everyone. Chuck