Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #1

I'm looking for some specs that show the ranges of operating temps for my MH. I drove from so cal to Las Vegas this summer when the outside temp was hot at about 105 F and the MH temp averaged between 210 to 225 with a 180 thermostat at about 228-230 the fan clutch kicked in but only dropped the temp around 5 degrees. and pulling the hills I was very easy on the pedal but still the temp climbed to about 230 and if I pushed it a little it wanted to climb over 230. I'm worried that I will overheat and pop a head gasket if I get to hot. My MH has a newer radiator, fan clutch and water pump. All are about 3 years old. Any info would be great. Can the 454 guru's help. Thanks Chuck

86 Toyota 4Runner Rock Crawler
chuck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2007, 08:51 PM   #2

I'm looking for some specs that show the ranges of operating temps for my MH. I drove from so cal to Las Vegas this summer when the outside temp was hot at about 105 F and the MH temp averaged between 210 to 225 with a 180 thermostat at about 228-230 the fan clutch kicked in but only dropped the temp around 5 degrees. and pulling the hills I was very easy on the pedal but still the temp climbed to about 230 and if I pushed it a little it wanted to climb over 230. I'm worried that I will overheat and pop a head gasket if I get to hot. My MH has a newer radiator, fan clutch and water pump. All are about 3 years old. Any info would be great. Can the 454 guru's help. Thanks Chuck

Old 09-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #3

I have a 94 454 in a 30' class A and it runs about 190 most of the time. If it is hot outside it will criuse flat at 210.

For long hill pulling, I installed an aux trans cooler with its own fan. I plumbed it into the system prior to the fluid going to the radiator cooler. If the trans fluid is cooled prior to running into the radiator cooler,it puts less work on the radiator to cool. I wired a switch to the dash and turn the aux trans cooler fan prior to pulling a long grade. It has helped a lot.

Good luck.
jw johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:18 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
One question 2,3,4 or6 core radiator?? When I replaced mine living in Arizona, Took the 6 Core. Running hard climbing 9+ grade running 210 F. I also added two front fans on mine to help the cooling and for the A/C too.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 06:08 AM   #5

It sure sounds like a radiator problem. I agree with Cap't dan, count the core and use the biggest radiator that you can find. The trans cooler trick also works but if the core is undersized or has built up internal deposits speed and load will raise the temperature. The 454 engine is designed to operate with a 190 degree thermostat and run between 200 and 210 degrees.

1990 Fortravel Deisel Pusher
DW: Lucy
Kitty Kat: Earl
Car trailer with whitey Ford the Explorere on board.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:44 PM   #6

Thanks for all the great ideas. the radiator is a 4 core also my MH has only one trans cooler that is plumbed before the radiator. going to flush the radiator and see how that does first.