Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2010, 10:02 AM   #1

89 coachmen sportscoach 4 35'

Does anyone own or had a 1989 35' coachmen sportscoach 4 ,spartan chassis cummins 8.3, I am having a hard time sorting out a radiator issue. thanks.
spopoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2011, 04:26 PM   #2

I also have a 1989 35' SportsCoach iv, Spartan Chasis, but its got a Detroit diesel 8.2l
same general body style ...
Do you still have the radiator issue? What is it? the engine is in the back and the rad is a long way in the front ... I'm sure it uses tons of antifreeze just to fill the 2 metal water lines at least 50 feet long.
canaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopoff View Post
Does anyone own or had a 1989 35' coachmen sportscoach 4 ,spartan chassis cummins 8.3, I am having a hard time sorting out a radiator issue. thanks.
I also have a 1989 35' SportsCoach iv, Spartan Chasis, but its got a Detroit diesel 8.2l
same general body style ...
Do you still have the radiator issue? What is it? the engine is in the back and the rad is a long way in the front ... I'm sure it uses tons of antifreeze just to fill the 2 metal water lines at least 50 feet long.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #4

wow someone else has a 89 sportscoach, for awhile I thought mine was last one left! I found my cooling problem, it turned out that the radiator was 80% plugged ,when pressure tested by rad shop.your right about the long pipes to the engine,I can't understand why spartan didn't add a helper water pump inline ,the one on my engine wasn't made to pump 70 feet of 2"coolant pipe. The thing thats a problem now is diesel exhaust fumes entering the bedroom.I looked all over the engine cover for bad weather stripping, it all appears to be good. guess I'll keep searching for gaps somewhere around back of bus.
spopoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:37 AM   #5

diesel fumes in the back

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopoff View Post
... The thing thats a problem now is diesel exhaust fumes entering the bedroom.I looked all over the engine cover for bad weather stripping, it all appears to be good. guess I'll keep searching for gaps somewhere around back of bus.
Hey, I also have the same problem (exhaust fumes) ... I replaced the muffler ... its much less but not all gone ...
I did find a gap all along the back wall at the end of the bed, I have a rectangular cussion all along the back.. the wall edge seal and the pillow has black residue (diesel leaking in) I will be sealing that next.
I'm also wandering about the rear heater under the bed, it also has 2 drawer, I pull the drawers and saw water hoses for the outside showers (my outside shower is missing ... would like to reinstall them soon) and also the bypass for the hot water tank... anyways, I'm guessing this might leak as well (nothing obious at the moment)

I'll like to repair all I can ... it is a very nice unit, I have alot of things to retouch on mine, I'm having problems locating parts, like the kitchen sink, its missing the holding clamps and noone carries them.

I'll post again with more updates of my repairs.
Old 03-06-2011, 01:30 AM   #6

My 1989 Sportscoach iv

this is my unit It needs a few touches but nothing serious... I still need to get an air brake endorsement, BC is the only province requiring an air ticket endorsement for RVs in all noth america ... what a cash cow ... I learned all I need for air brakes from the internet, tons of useful and excellent videos,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	books_006.jpeg
Views:	233
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	8679  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp 1989 SportsCoach IV.bmp (197.8 KB, 95 views)