Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Unhappy 90 bounder keeps blowing fusible link

I have a 1990 bounder p30 chasis with a 454 chevy. The fusible link blew down by the starter. I replaced the starter, the starter solenoid. The engine started ran for about 5 minutes. I put it in drive, stepped on the gas, and the fuse link blew again.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2010, 09:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
What does the fuse link feed? Can you trace the wire back to its source?

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytele View Post
I have a 1990 bounder p30 chasis with a 454 chevy. The fusible link blew down by the starter. I replaced the starter, the starter solenoid. The engine started ran for about 5 minutes. I put it in drive, stepped on the gas, and the fuse link blew again.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I had a 1990 Pace Arrow p30 with a 454 chevy. Try pulling the engine cover and look at where the main wire loom crosses over the Air Conditioner Compressor bracket (left front of engine). On my Pace the wire loom was pulled so tight that it rubbed some wires bare and it would continue to blow fuses. After fixing the bare wires I wrapped a piece of rubber hose around the wire loom where it laid on the bracket and never had another problem.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #4

blowing fuses

Had a similar problem w/my ford. After replacing starter and solenoid, had moved a power wire in battery area, (got 3 batteries) this being older model the casing on the wires was aged and cracking thereby causing elec to "jump" around. Separated and elec taped up worst areas and eliminated short. Finished up w/proper taping and no problems. Hint: look at other conns, checking corrosion also for "loose conns"
Old 09-12-2010, 08:56 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies. This fusible line is the line that goes from the large post on the starter, to the key ignition switch. It's the large post that is connected to the battery. Then the key switch supplies the power to energize the starter solenoid on the firewall and the ignition coil and I believe the smaller wire on the starter( the one that energizes the starter).
I going to spend today looking for that bare spot on all those wires.
After that I'm going to start it and rev the engine and see if it blows.
Next I'm going to put it in all the gears. After it's in all the gears I'm going to rev the engine in gear, this is when it blew before, the difference this time is I'm going to rev the engine first to see if engine movement could cause this.
Thanks for everyone's addvice. I'll reply with the results. It's going to be a fun day !
Old 09-13-2010, 05:38 PM   #6

Try a "cold pull"

You may have a pinched wire, so try this before you get the engine warm.

Disconnect the battery POSITIVE, either via a switch or disconnecting the wire from the post so less chance of more damage, then get a test light, connect the positive lead to the positive post of the battery and the negitive lead to the fusible link at the starter end, the light should not light.

Test the setup by using a jumper wire to short the connection to ground, the light should light, once this is confirmed you are ready to go.

Now grap the wire and give it a tug, work your way up the wire all the way back to the other end, as you go twist and wigggle, when the place that is shorted is found the light will light up.

You may also need to press it against corners that is rubs, you get the idea, once you get the light to lite, then evaluate the wire tape it for now and continue until the whole thing is tested, now make a better repair to the wire and resolve the item that caused the damage.

Be very carefull, gentle pulling because you do not want the wire to move too much, you may fix it for a short period by moving the short away from its contact area.

Good luck!