Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
9100 Power Awning no extend

Dometic 9100 Series Power Awning. Went out today to wash/wax motorhome, went to extend awning to clean it also and all I could hear is the motor up in the tube turn on but no movement in the awning. Worked fine last weekend. Does anyone know what kind of job it is to troubleshoot and fix? I looked and cannot find an exploded view of this part of the awning. I found main hardware (arms, shocks, mounts) exploded view documents , but nothing on the motor and/or gears on how it is all put together up there. If you have ever done it or have a link to an exploded picture that would be super.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Is this over the door or patio awning?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not familiar with the 9100 but usually the motor just unwinds tension on the roller tube and it is gravity that actually pulls the awning arms out. Maybe something is just binding a bit? Did you try giving the arms a pull (by hand) to see if they pop loose? I've had debris get into the arm mechanism on my Carefree awning and cause it to bind a bit. It just takes a little tug to loosen it up enough to resume normal operation.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is a patio awning. I have not pulled on it to try and get it down. Wasn't sure I could get it back up and locked in case I couldn't fix it myself. I think it would help me if I could see how the dang thing is put together. It might be something as simple as a shear pin or something like that.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I doubt if there is a shear pin. If it is like the others I have seen, the motor just slips or stops if there is any resistance to movement. Does the roller tube continue to turn as the motor runs, loosening the fabric around the tube? Or do you hear the motor run but no sign of the roller tube turning?

Your operating manual shows the procedure for manually stowing the awning if necessary. Available HERE is you don't have one.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:22 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi born2camp,
Go to the top of the front arm of the awning. There is a screw in the top of this arm that allows the motor to power the awning. Remove this screw and determine if the bottom part has been sheared off. Without this screw fully engaged in the motor shaft, the motor will turn but the awning will not move.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary, tube doesn't move, just hear the motor.

GaryKD, I will get up there and check out that screw. I bet (hope) it is sheared off, and that is my problem. Thanks all...
Old 05-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Finally got time to work on this awning. The screw was not sheared off so I drilled the 3 rivets and removed the power assembly. It is a small motor with a shaft at then end with a round disc that is cut out to match the inner lobes of the roller tube. This shaft inserts into the motor with a small clip that appears to be responsible for holding the shaft in the motor. I lined up the clip and shaft, inserted into motor and it appeared to lock on. Re-Assembled motor into awning tube and it operated for 2-3 times then it lost it's grip.

Took motor back out and the shaft had worked its way out of the motor again causing the disengagement. Can't seem to find anyone around here that has time to talk to me on why the shaft won't stay engaged, Dometic's only response was to send me the exploded parts list document. If any of you have had this type of problem, were you able to fix it or did it take an entire motor assembly that is about $350.00 for that little guy. Thanks.