Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #1

Fellow RVers,

On Sunday at around 4pm my 93 Brave expired on me Hwy 99 south of Sacramento. Turned out the fuel pump, located inside the fuel tank, failed. I was surprised that it failed because the rig only has 42K miles on it and it's been maintained very well. $615 later and I'm wondering if anyone else has had fuel pump issues with their Brave?
I have owners manuals for the interior (fridge, heater, A/C, etc) but nothing for the motor or chassis. Any recommendations?
Any other Winnebago weak points that could put me at the side of the road?

Dave
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2006, 04:14 PM   #2

Fellow RVers,

On Sunday at around 4pm my 93 Brave expired on me Hwy 99 south of Sacramento. Turned out the fuel pump, located inside the fuel tank, failed. I was surprised that it failed because the rig only has 42K miles on it and it's been maintained very well. $615 later and I'm wondering if anyone else has had fuel pump issues with their Brave?
I have owners manuals for the interior (fridge, heater, A/C, etc) but nothing for the motor or chassis. Any recommendations?
Any other Winnebago weak points that could put me at the side of the road?

Dave
Old 05-24-2006, 04:39 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A 13 yr. old fuel pump, you got your moneys
worth. I would say that is about normal! anyone?
TENN.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:16 PM   #4

DavidH - You didn't mention what chassis you have under that winnebago. If it is Ford, there have been issues with the in tank fuel pump. Let us know your chassis and engine, someone here will likely have a better answer for your problems.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #5

Tom - It's got a 454, automatic, and (I believe) P30 chassis. Sorry about the omission. I'm thinking an access hole under the bed/over the tank in the right spot and a spare fuel pump and filter for the future will reduce costs and hassles drastically.

13 years is good for a fuel pump?! My 87 Toyota pickup got about 275,000 miles out of its original fuel pump and lasted about 15. the motor's still plugging away at 335,000 miles. Guess I need to lower my expectations back down.

Dave
Old 05-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">13 years is good for a fuel pump?! My 87 Toyota pickup got about 275,000 miles out of its original fuel pump </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dave

I agree with the previous comments ...one big difference between the Brave and the Toyota is that the Brave fuel pump has been under-utilized with just 42k miles in 13 years!! It likely has had to deal with more crud, old fuel, etc in it's lifetime in addition to long periods of non-use and seals drying out...
AFChap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:05 AM   #7

I had the intank fuel pump replaced twice in my 97 Brave. Pain in the neck.- John

cookie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #8

The hole under the bed may provide for better access to get to the fuel tank, but it will also provide better acces for mice and other unwelcomed guests to enter the motorhome.

Of course, now that it is replaced you shouldn't have to worry for another 13 years.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote