Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-29-2005, 07:26 AM   #1

Hi all new to this forum, We have a 1994 HR Endeavor LE the outer passenger sidewall is delaminating just above the storage compartment, we have found that compartment wet one time and never wet again. we resealed the seam at the top where side wall meets roof.

My question is how to glue back that fiberglass skin and with what type adhesive to use? and thoughts as to how to hold the or push skin in place till dries or holds.
thanks

Craig
AKA Antler1 and Antler2

2007 Toyoata Prius Hybrid
antlerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2005, 07:26 AM   #2

Hi all new to this forum, We have a 1994 HR Endeavor LE the outer passenger sidewall is delaminating just above the storage compartment, we have found that compartment wet one time and never wet again. we resealed the seam at the top where side wall meets roof.

My question is how to glue back that fiberglass skin and with what type adhesive to use? and thoughts as to how to hold the or push skin in place till dries or holds.
thanks

Craig
AKA Antler1 and Antler2

Old 12-30-2005, 11:16 AM   #3

Hi Craig, and welcome to the forum. Though I'm sure there are members here that may be able to help you, my suggestion would be to contact Holiday Rambler engineering and pose the same question. They may also be able to provide other tips that could be benefitial in the repair.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Have you opened the skin to see what is underneath and possible hidden damage?

The basic technique is to make a slit or two at appropriate places/angles so that the surface material can be pushed flat again. SOmetimes it is easy and sometimes there has been stretching that deforms the surface and you have to trim out a bit. Then you squeeze glue into the opening(s) and clamp (somehow - more later). The type of glue depends on what is underneath. If it is a wood (usually luan Plywood), any good waterproof glue will work. If metal, you probably need a contact cement of some kind. You might check with the 3M Company, which makes glues for every conceivable application. They have some automative trim cements tat will stick most anything to anything. Contact cements are tough to get into a small slot, though, since you have to coat both surfacesand then wait a few minutes before pushing together.

Clamping is usually tough to manage. If there is a sufficiently solid backboard, I suggest screwing a board or two over the outside to push it into place. After the glue dries, you can fill the few screw holes and the crack left along the surface slit)s) with a gel coat repair kit available at marine stores or mail order. The porcelain repair kits sold to fix chips in sinks & tubs also work for small holes and thin slits. Basically just daub a little in the screw holes and the [hopefully] slight crack.

If the delamination is very small, you may get away with drilling a few small holes and injecting a glue.

All bets are off if the surface behind the skin has deteriorated. You need to carefully remove the skin and repair the substrate. Try to clean off the underside of the skin and re-apply with a contact cement, then fill the seam around the removed piece as best you can. You can repair the damaged area with an automotive/marine fiberglass repair material (generically called "Bondo" after the first such product) and then have the area re-painted to match by a professional.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:23 AM   #5

Hi Lug_Nut and RV Roamer,
Thanks for the replies, We will try those possible solutions, I dont think there is any hidden damage it seems very sound and the water we found in the bin was not very much and was a one time event We lived in Arizona for years and possibly could the heat cause that? we have had days staying around 115 degrees for weeks at a time. Maybe dried out the glue??

Well guess just have to operate and see..

thanks

Craig

Old 01-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Sidewall delamination was not uncommon in the mid-90's and was basically a manufacturing process flaw. Sometimes there would be weak bonds in the walls and it would simply delaminate over time. Heat, cold or other extremes surely don't help any. I had a 96 Southwind with a couple modest delamination spots. Never did anything about them and they didn't grow or cause any problem.

I asked about hidden damage only because you mentioned seeing water in the bay underneath. By the time enough water flows down through a wall to be seen, it has usually completely soaked the inside of the wall. It takes months to dry out (if ever) because it is sealed inside. Hopefully your water and the delamination are unrelated and there is no damage.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:39 AM   #7

After showing these replies to my wife, she now tells me that the water in the bin came from a case of water that had burst and she thought I had known that, even though she cleaned it up and then told me about water in the bin..lol

so I guess it is just a bad manufacturing job we are going to use the gorillia glue and prop a board with carpet on its end to hold in place till glue is cured.

thanks again for the info..
and thanks to the wife for NOW telling me about the water..lol