Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #1

94 Winnebago Adventurer Generator fuel draw problem.

I have recently purchased a 94 Winnebago Adventurer with a Chevrolet Chassis. I cannot get fuel to flow from the tank to the generator. The generator runs if I supply gasoline from an external source.

The steel line has been replaced by a rubber one with a squeeze bulb for priming. The tank is full.

What is the location of the Generator Fuel supply fitting on the tank and how do I access it?

Thanks in advance for your help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #2

The float in the float bowl isn't stuck is it?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
The float in the float bowl isn't stuck is it?
No, If I hook up an outboard fuel tank to the fuel pump it works fine. There is no fuel in the supply line. I tried sucking fuel into the line using a manual pump, but I can't draw any. It may be sucking air.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
The fuel tank is full -- is that based solely on the fuel gauge reading or on a recent fill-up? Fuel sender/float units can fail. Also, that vintage of GM fuel gauge tends to freeze at the last reading when it had electrical power -- so if the gauge isn't getting power, it may be giving a false reading. If the fuel level at the generator pickup line is below 1/4 tank, the pickup will be above the fuel. If your gauge is dead, you won't realize that.

Any reason why the steel line was replaced? The rubber line could be damaged somewhere out of sight, and it's really sucking air, not fuel.

The generator line comes out of the fuel sender unit in the tank. It's accessible from the top of the tank -- which means you have to drop the tank to get at it.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #5

Thanks for the information. The tanks is really full, since I just filled it. I don't know why the line was replaced, since it was done by the previous owner. I assume that it failed and was replaced. That's bad news regarding dropping the tank, since I will have to drain it to get at the generator feed. Too bad Winnebago did provide easier access.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking into the last bay on my '92 Adventurer (fresh water tank area) there's a small raised plate in the middle of the deck -- about the right size to cover the top of the fuel sender. It might function as an access plate, or it's just a raised section to clear the fuel lines. Either way, it's not really accessible. That section of the basement isn't very tall.

Look carefully around the fuel lines and tank area and see if you can spot how the rubber line is tied in, and for any clues as to why it's there and what might be wrong. It will take some crawling around with a flashlight, looking into tight spots. If you're lucky, you may find the rubber line is spliced in before the sender, connected to a good section of an existing metal line that must have gotten damaged. If so, you might be able to check for damage to the rubber line, or fix a loose hose clamp.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:16 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntorg View Post
Thanks for the information. The tanks is really full, since I just filled it. I don't know why the line was replaced, since it was done by the previous owner. I assume that it failed and was replaced. That's bad news regarding dropping the tank, since I will have to drain it to get at the generator feed. Too bad Winnebago did provide easier access.
i read on this forum that someone made an alternate fuel line for his genny by threading a rubber fuel line down the main tank filler pipe into the fuel tank.
i forget how he connected the end to the genny.
do a forum search.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntorg View Post
I have recently purchased a 94 Winnebago Adventurer with a Chevrolet Chassis. I cannot get fuel to flow from the tank to the generator. The generator runs if I supply gasoline from an external source.

The steel line has been replaced by a rubber one with a squeeze bulb for priming. The tank is full.

What is the location of the Generator Fuel supply fitting on the tank and how do I access it?

Thanks in advance for your help
Here just a thought. On a friends 92 Allegro with a Chevy chassis there was a rubber portion of the fuel pick-up line that is located on top of the tank that ended up being the problem. The line was metal from the small piece of rubber hose to the generator. It is possible that the previous owner kept losing prime on the fuel supply line (this unit had the same issue). The owner replaced what they could reach with the rubber outboard motor line so they could prime the line to the generator. In 92 the Onan did not have a fuel pump that you could use to prime the generator.

I could get the generator started and running if I pulled a vacuum on the line to get fuel to the generator and reconnected the line. This work enough to complete the trip. The issue was for the next couple of short trips there was not a fuel supply problem. Then the problem came back and my trick no longer worked. We had suspected a leak somewhere in the system since now when pulling a vacuum on the line (using a miniVac hand pump that is designed for bleeding brake lines) we were getting a lot of air.

After taking a mirror and a light I found the rubber section of hose on top of the tank and it looked bad from a distance. Only choice now was to drop the tank or measure and cut an access hole in the floor. Decided to drop the tank. Lucky the fuel tank was not full.

Dropped the tank with the help of my motorcycle lift and replaced the 3 foot section of rubber hose. The hose was dry rotted and I found the area that was cracked. After that the problem was corrected and everyone was happy.

Here is a picture of the tank while lowered. Yes, I did use a strap to secure the tank to the jack however took off to move the tank around. Whole job minus trip to autoparts store was about an 30 mins. There are places that rent motorcycle lifts if you are interested.

Hope that this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3720146310.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	559.6 KB
ID:	38711

Plus Fiona a minature Goldendoodle
Iangolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, generator, winnebago