Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2015, 01:16 PM   #1

"98 Bounder 34j has rotational grinding noise maybe from park brake.

Drove her one day all is well. The next day, it has a grinding noise. Sounds almost like cards on a spoke. It is rotational. Sounds like it maybe coming from the park brake or driveline towards the front. Any thoughts ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No, but I like your name! It could be dry bearings.

Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

What chassis is your RV? Have you done a rolling test on a flat parking lot to see if brake drag is stopping the RV? After a short drive, if the parking brake is dragging, you could shoot the brake drum with an IR remote thermometer and see if it's built up heat --- sign that it's dragging.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would check the u-joints.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:13 PM   #5

re '98 Bounder rotational noise

We did do some driving in a parking lot. That's how we narrowed the noise down to the parking brake. A spring or starwheel or both must have popped off and got stuck to make the noise. I got under her and greased the whole thing. I have to drop the whole driveline down to pull the brake drum off. I can't work on it where it is, so I've gotta move it first. It's gonna take a while. Big three piece driveline has two carriers to drop so I can slide the shaft off of the studs sticking out of the brake drum. I also noticed my abs light was on. I scanned it and the left front wheel speed sensor is inop. Plus before the noise started The brake pedal went to the floor, turning the red brake warning light on. Then the pedal came back. So 1. questionable master cylinder 2. The noise in park brake. 3. no abs equals cancelled trip. She has been sitting unsued for a couple of years and has got some "lot rot" going on. Gonna give er some lovin before I take er out next month. Oh and it's a Chev p chassis 4 wheel disc. Oh and the park brake still works and there is no drag.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #6

Also I just put new tires on it. From onlinetires.com I got Gladiators 225/70r19.5 14 ply replacing the original Michelins that were way too old. $125 a piece. I put balancing beads in em. Drives nice, a little stiffer ride being 14 ply instead of 12 ply. I can't do $350 apiece for a tire that will age out with 70% tread left. I'll let yall know how these do.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirtacious View Post
We did do some driving in a parking lot. That's how we narrowed the noise down to the parking brake. A spring or starwheel or both must have popped off and got stuck to make the noise. I got under her and greased the whole thing. I have to drop the whole driveline down to pull the brake drum off. I can't work on it where it is, so I've gotta move it first. It's gonna take a while. Big three piece driveline has two carriers to drop so I can slide the shaft off of the studs sticking out of the brake drum. I also noticed my abs light was on. I scanned it and the left front wheel speed sensor is inop. Plus before the noise started The brake pedal went to the floor, turning the red brake warning light on. Then the pedal came back. So 1. questionable master cylinder 2. The noise in park brake. 3. no abs equals cancelled trip. She has been sitting unsued for a couple of years and has got some "lot rot" going on. Gonna give er some lovin before I take er out next month. Oh and it's a Chev p chassis 4 wheel disc. Oh and the park brake still works and there is no drag.
I'm sure you know the AAPB isn't related to the service brakes, nor the ABS system. Your symptoms indicate you likely have a dragging caliper on the left front wheel which caused enough heat to boil the fluid and damage the ABS sensor. On a chassis of that vintage, the rubber brake line hose is a likely culprit. I think those are "slider pin" calipers, so cleaning and lubing the pins is also a good idea. Is it possible the noise you're hearing could be from the rotor and not the drum on the DS? I'd fix the brakes before tearing down the DS and AAPB. IF you need any info on the J71 AAPB you have, contact Roger via email to oldusedbear11@charter.net . He is the EXPERT on all things J71, and his help is free to all who ask.
Old 07-10-2015, 12:38 AM   #8

re bounder with rotational noise

Well you guessed it. It was the wheel speed sensor. It got hot and melted. Blows my mind but it is no longer available. So I'm gonna pullit and the abs bulb out and say goodbye to abs. I'm replacing the master cylinder and brake fluid. Too bad I didn't do this while replacing the tires. Woulda been easy to collapse all of the calipers, lube em and change the fluid. Sucks, losing the abs but I also can't imagine how scary an abs stop would be in a rig of this size.

Tags
bounder, brake, noise