Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #29

Jim,

OK, if I'm gonna do this I'll do it RIGHT on all aspects. lol......
I read a post on a guy who did stainless full exhaust, I'm going that route.
Found a company in Des Moines, IA that builds exhaust for diesels school buses AUTO-JET is the name, they can MANDRUL bend 4" exhaust and offer aluminised steel and stainless steel. Now I think its 404 or 403 and not the 304 stainless but I think either one will surfice our needs.
I would love to see that post if you find it. Maybe I saw a different one and more info the marryier.

Any reason to keep the flex pipe, can I just get rid of it and have bends and stainless jointing ? or do I need the flex part for vibration of some other reason ?

Thanks again,
Kris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0868.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	122469   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0869.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	122470  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
My guess on the cold pack bolt is that soak it in penetrating oil and have a big A@# impact to take it off.

I appreciate you doing it right, when I had my radiator replaced I specifically asked for all hoses to be replaced while the coolant was drained. When I got it back home I found they only replace 1. I a was PI#$ED off but at that point I wasn't going to argue, Cummins wouldn't own up to the other problems I reported so I knew arguing about this was mute.

I found the post on the SS pipe and have requested contact info.

jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 09:59 PM   #31

I can get to one side with impact no problem. But the front is going to take some thinking. I can barley get the can of pb blaster in to spray it. I'm not sure I'm even getting it. It's tight.

Real sorry to hear that, I understand just how mad you were. It's not bad enough you paying 165$ an hour in your case insurance or whatever it is or was but in the scope of the job a 20-30$ rubber parts it's just not smart to not go new. Hell 200$ in rubber parts makes sense with a 7000$ + job like yours was. In my case I'm not paying for the parts, but PrO bono labor only. So the way I see it, we do this up RIGHT and hopefully never have to touch it again. Or for at least 20 years.
But if you were paying for, I mean they knew it , you woulda got all new, we have a good cummins dealer hear, they shot us straight, and for that we are getting the Cummings oem parts from them. But the labor for this job est was 6000$ alone. Radiator and exhaust manifold only. So with exhaust issues this labor bill was going to be 9-10 K. Or worse.
The coach is worth it, it's clean
Old 03-28-2016, 07:30 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
The individual that had the SS radiator pipe made ordered it from here.

Tube Bending & Fabrication - Columbia River Mandrel Bending

The shipping on the piece was $75, I couldn't find what the cost was.

You might be better off buying a piece of stainless tubing and taking it to a local muffler shop, they can usually bend the type of form you will need, I doubt it is too complicated.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:29 PM   #33

Yes I found a shop to bend 4 inch and/or 5 inch stainless steel exhaust pipe. Ironically enough most muffler shops will only been 3 inch or 3 1/2 inch from what I found out. But I think I've got someone to perform the job and should be good to go. I will definitely let you guys Know how much the exhaust system cost if anyone else has to replace exhaust
Old 03-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #34

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Considering that the motor sits on rubber motor mounts, and the muffler is mounted solidly to the coach frame, I think the flex pipe is needed.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #35

Papa Jim
Thanks for the insight, I'm thinking about replicating the exhaust system that's coming out. What got me ? Is the exhaust guy I have spoken with asked if I want to get rid of it ? He builds exhaust for school buses for a living. Figured I would pick his brain more, but I'm with you and the vibration would create a weak link ?
Old 03-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #36
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
Considering that the motor sits on rubber motor mounts, and the muffler is mounted solidly to the coach frame, I think the flex pipe is needed.

Jim
I haven't been under very many diesel pushers, but no car or truck I've driven has a flex pipe from the factory. the exhaust brackets are rubber mounted at one end to compensate. My Dynasty doesn't have a flex pipe either, but I'm not sure how the hanger brackets are mounted.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:00 PM   #37

Ok, got a lot of work done yesterday, I spent 5 hours and removed the entire exhaust system, the cracked exhaust manifold, the turbo, the pac brake, and all of the CAC 4" piping. Here are some pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0948.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	122950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0951.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	122951  

Name:	IMG_0952.jpg
Size:	231.3 KB
ID:	122952   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0955.jpg
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	122953  

Old 04-02-2016, 12:03 PM   #38

I then spent another hour and remove the coolant and the coolant piping.
By the way the crack on the exhaust manifold was all but 1" cracked. 1" more inch and the exhaust manifold would have been in 3 pieces not 2 like it was built.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	122954   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0925.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	122955  

Name:	IMG_0942.jpg
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	122956   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0938.jpg
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	122957  

Old 04-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #39

Some more pics from yesterday,
today I am going to remove, and cap off all of the hydraulic lines, disconnect, and finally remove the COLD PACK, only the 2 big bolts left. After looking real close at it, as I have now, the transmission cooler is on the bottom, and independent, I will leave the ac condenser cooler attached, swing to the side. The CAC is directly above tranny cooler, than radiator in pack.
I want to mention I have soaked these bolts ( all of them for 2 weeks) in penetrating fluid, and I did not break any exhaust manifold bolts. I only broke 2 exhaust hanger piping bolts and they just didn't have any thread left. I think the soaking was a deal breaker. I would have broker more bolts without, that I'm sure of.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0960.jpg
Size:	664.8 KB
ID:	122958   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0957.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	122959  

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	122960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0915.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	122961  

Old 04-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #40

Ok, guys I have to mention this, a dirty job yes, but I feel pretty good saving $165 an hour for this dirty job. I'm 6 hours into this project.
Now I need a little help identifying some of these parts.

The turbo= Holset HX40W -- anything else I need to know on it ? Got be something...... I have the tag posted and plan on making calls Monday.
Think Im replacing it, not sure if its toast, don't know of any turbo shops, any suggestions ?

The pac brake= ? I have the serial # but no model #. This is seized up and toast. Replacing it, but need to use the right one ? Saw a post on a PXB some newer most efficient maybe ? any suggestions ?

Kris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	122962   Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	217.2 KB
ID:	122963  

Name:	IMG_0928.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	390.1 KB
ID:	122964   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0963.jpg
Size:	239.7 KB
ID:	122965  

Old 04-02-2016, 07:33 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
I sent you a PM with some info on it.

BTW,
Cummins offers the Cummins Power Club program, costs ~$20 to join but then you get 10% off of parts. I saved ~$40 when I bought my exhaust manifold after joining. Well worth it if you are going to buy the items you need to buy.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #42

Jim
Thank you. I got the message and this was very helpful.
I mad an error on my previous listing.
To clarify. I have a hydraulic cooler on the bottom running vertically undeneth the cold air charger. and a tranny cooler on the side on my cold pack runing on the onside of radiator on pack.
Also. I am going to be changing the hudraulic fluid. I caped it off only to find out this service was not performed. Some we are changing the hydraulic fluid and filters now.
I am on the fence. He tranny fluid has not been serviced. I have read I can have it tested but I'm thinking flush Filters and replace with trynsdyne ? I know it could b a bit of watse but I've come this far. Why stop with simple.
Anything I need to know on the hydraulic filter and fluid change.
How about tranny fluid flush and filter change ?
Kris

Tags
removal, radiator, monaco