Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 09:28 AM   #1

A&E awning rafter bracket/side wall repair?

2000 Allegro 28WB, My upper awning rafters (A&E) have pulled away from the sidewall due to an earlier repair by the previous owner. The old rusted bolts have pulled out of the sidewall, I picked up some larger diameter stainless steel lag bolts but can't get them totally tight as the sidewall holes are cracking out. The previous owner/rv shop repair was lots of silicone sealant on the old bolts and screw them back in which we now know was not a good repair.

Problem presented itself due to my awning lock not being totally locked in place on last trip home. Not familiar with A&E's as I had Care-Free on my previous MH. I now know after reading the forum that A&E has a lock issue and will be addressing this with a separate lock on the roller in the very near future!

My plan is to replace all the old bolts with new stainless steel lag bolts but for right now I just need to worry about the rear upper ones. I have temp-repaired with lag bolts but would like a more permanent repair.

What would be the correct way to fix this issue? Have been told to use epoxy to fill the hole and re-drill for the new lag bolts. Thinking this might work but re-drilling will remove the new epoxy. I also gave some thought to epoxying in some "wood-screw-threaded studs" and then using a standard nut on the threaded end to fasten the bracket.

Before doing this I thought I'd see if anyone else has made this repair?

Thanks in advance . . .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #2

Patched the damaged area to prevent water entry. I then drilled 2 new holes in the bracket to get some fresh "meat" to lag to and so far, so good.

The epoxy should work though.

DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:23 AM   #3

This repair is almost always a mess.
What you might consider is putting an alum. plate (5"x8" or so?) on the side of the coach. You can fasten that on the outside of the arm bracket using new holes into the motor home, along with the over size bolt plan where the original holes were? That should stabilize it well enough where it's not going to give you any more trouble.

If there's a closet on the inside of the coach in that area, you could also consider through bolting, using an alum plate on the inside and the outside?
Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the input. I had thought about the plate idea but, leaning towards the threaded studs epoxied into the side wall.

I have a buddy who repairs RV's for a living and plan on discussing my "repair" with him next time we chat. I temp repaired it with the lag bolts so we could go out this coming weekend, next week I'll make a more permanent repair.

I'll be sure to take pics and post them as it appears not to many people have had to make this repair themselves which is a good thing!
Old 07-17-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
doc

Appalachian Campers
Do you have rotted wood that the lag bolts are screwing into? May be a larger issue than just adding new, larger bolts and filler. Hope not.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I just had a similar ongoing problem. I finally got it cured. JB Weld to the rescue. Filled the holes in the MH with JB and let it harden overnight. Drilled two holes and no problems on 500 mile trip with 50 miles of gravel cow trail.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bruce,
Check you post on TVRN.

I just posted some photos of my repair - bolts through the wall to the inside; both hidden.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #8

A little update on this project, I ended up doing a "through wall" bolt repair. Back bolts ended up in the shower area at the top of the shower wall and front bolts are in a cabinet over the front passenger seat.

Those awning rafters are not going anywhere now

Tags
awning, repair