Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2017, 08:00 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
A&E slide topper tension

Our slide topper has torn off and the roller unwound. I had been nursing the tear near the rail along to get it back to the sticks and bricks home and replace it. Naturally at the last CG we planned to stay at when opening the slide it let go all the way.

From a search here I found a thread that mentions 13 turns to tension it. Is this correct. I will be taking whats left of the old one to a canvas guy we use for the boat to see if he can make a couple of new ones for us. The other slide is still intact but sags a little. Can I put a couple extra turns in it?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2017, 07:06 PM   #2

HD4Mark,

You might want to try "Tough Topic Awnings".

They fabricate the highest quality slide topper awning out there compared to oem awning toppers.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:07 PM   #3

Darn...auto correct!

It's Tough Top Awnings
Old 04-30-2017, 06:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
HD4Mark,

You might want to try "Tough Top Awnings".

They fabricate the highest quality slide topper awning out there compared to oem awning toppers.
Thanks Toribk. The canvas guy has made a few boat covers and even a neat cover for the table top grill we bring in the MH. He does very good work, is reasonable and is at the marina right across the street now. I dropped him off the old one and he says no problem making one just like it. I'll look up Tough Top if he has any problems.

I still am looking to find how many turns to put on the roller though. Anyone?
Old 04-30-2017, 07:00 AM   #5

What awning do you have.

If it's a Dometic, I probably have the service manual.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
What awning do you have.

If it's a Dometic, I probably have the service manual.
It sure is a Dometic A&E
Product number 958303535
model 86101FP.0131-R

I replied to your PM with my email, Thank You
Old 04-30-2017, 09:25 PM   #7

http://www.makariosrv.com/content/Do...r%20Manual.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:32 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I really appreciate the help guys but I'm still confused. Both of these manuals are for new installation and start out with the fabric on the roller. As far as I can tell the tension is factory set. Ours is unrolled so the tube needs to be rolled to add tension, pinned then the fabric slid on to the rail on the MH and tube at the same time. Right? So we need to figure out how many turns to tension it still.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:14 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Update

I found this http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterior/AE_topper.pdf It says all slide toppers 13 turns. Great, now I have a starting point.

The only thing is, I did not plan to remove the the roller tube. Just re-tensioning it by turning it then pinning it with the slot upward should make it possible to slide the new fabric onto the MH rail and into the tube at the same time. So since there is always a turn or two of fabric on the roller, should we give it an extra turn to suck up that slack?

On the bedroom slide that is smaller we should be able to just unroll it until all of the fabric winds off and the slot is exposed and upward, pin the roller then slide the old fabric off. The new would go on in reverse then release the tube.

Does this make sense?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I found this http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/exterior/AE_topper.pdf It says all slide toppers 13 turns. Great, now I have a starting point.

The only thing is, I did not plan to remove the the roller tube. Just re-tensioning it by turning it then pinning it with the slot upward should make it possible to slide the new fabric onto the MH rail and into the tube at the same time. So since there is always a turn or two of fabric on the roller, should we give it an extra turn to suck up that slack?

On the bedroom slide that is smaller we should be able to just unroll it until all of the fabric winds off and the slot is exposed and upward, pin the roller then slide the old fabric off. The new would go on in reverse then release the tube.

Does this make sense?
Mark, it says that 13 turns is for the Elite and Deluxe slide toppers. It may be different for other toppers.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #11

There is a great YouTube short on this. The guy walks you through replacing the topper. Great info. Google.
PappyWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:47 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Mark, it says that 13 turns is for the Elite and Deluxe slide toppers. It may be different for other toppers.
Thanks Joe & Anette. I hoped the rollers were all similar. Can't find much to go on for the tension though. The only two references I have come up with say 13 turns. Also are the 13 turns applied with the slide in or out. Still looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyWood View Post
There is a great YouTube short on this. The guy walks you through replacing the topper. Great info. Google.
Thanks Pappy. I have watched a couple of vids on it. All of them have had the spring still tensioned and pinned the roller in place. In our case the roller unwound. The actual replacing of the fabric seems to be the easy part.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:08 AM   #13

HD4Mark,

The "RV Geeks" video that another forum member referenced is one you may want to familiarize yourself with.

In the two instances I have helped replace an awning topper, we did it the same way as depicted in the video and locked the roller pin in place with long Allen Wrenches.

There was never a need to re-roll the tube, or the spring to unwind, while replacing the fabric.

Anyway....let us all know how it worked out in the end and best of luck with the replacement.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 05-02-2017, 03:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
My problem is that the tension unwound because the fabric (vinyl) ripped completely across causing the roller to spin undone. So we need to turn it to get tension back before sliding in the fabric. After that the instructions from RVgeeks works. In the vid they unroll the fabric then stick screw drivers in the tube to keep the tension. Our tension is already lost. We can trial and error the tension if it turns to be loose. If it's too tight I worry something bad will happen. I have looked at a few vids.

Sorry if I seem dense. Is it easier than I think?

Tags
slide