Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A&E Weather Pro Awning

I have an A&E Weather Pro electric awning. I have a strap and don't know what it is for. I also have a long metal bar with a hook or turned over part on the end of it, anyone know what that is far? I think these are used with the awning.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Those are for manually deploying & rolling up the awning. With non-electric awnings, the strap is attached to the middle of the awning & is used to grab hold of it so you can manually unroll it or roll it up. The long metal rod is your awning strap hook. When the awning is rolled up, a portion of the strap with a loop on the end hangs down outside at the top of your RV. You need that rod to be able to reach all the way up there to get the strap loop. You grab that loop with the hooked end of the metal rod & pull on your awning to roll it out. When you're ready to roll up the awning you would put the hooked end of the rod into the looped end of the strap & it helps you control the speed of your rolling up awning so it doesn't bang into the side of your RV as it closes. The rod is also used to flip the roll/unroll lever at the end of the awning roller when it's way up at the top of the RV when the awning is closed.

Since your awning is electric, I guess those items aren't needed, but came as part of the awning assembly. Just keep 'em & you can use the strap for a tie down somewhere & use the awning rod for grabbing hold of the loop on your jack pads when you fish them out from under your coach.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:48 AM   #3

We have the same awnings that you do. We use the metal bar that you describe to pull out and stow the manual awnings as described by NLOVNIT. However, the extra strap you have is to be used in case the motor fails on the large motorized awning. If you should need to manually retract the awning, the strap would slide in a groove on the awning rail. You would then disconnect the motor and release the spring. Your owner's materials should have directions for this. I remember when we took possession of our coach, the dealer warned this was a last resort, because ou would need to return to the dealer to have the spring reset. You should also have an electric cable that is used to connect the battery to the motor.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The awning rod can be used to fend off campground wanderers.

As stated in the other posts. If you use a full wood piece for your jack stands, you can put an eye hook in the side of the wood to use for pulling and positioning. If you look at your slide wiper seals when the slides are extended, you may notice that sometimes they just don't get turned the correct way. You can use the awning tool by placing it gently under the seal, and gently pushing up on it to release the seal. (Just makes the seal look nice.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:30 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all. David and Fran I think the cable you are talking about is used to connect the motor directly to a battery if your controller is bad. Is this cable a separate item or is it already connected somewhere. I do not have it as a separate item. Wayne good idea about the bar.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:38 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The other thing we use the rod for is gauging clearance for our slides to any obstructions (i.e. trees, shore power boxes...etc) at a site. I've got the depth of each slide marked as lines on the rod. In a tight clearance site, by holding the rod out from the side of the coach & I can determine if I have enough clearance for slides to come out without actually deploying them. Better to jockey for position when ya first pull in than after you've got jacks down & shore power/water hooked up.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:21 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As others have said the strap is used if the electric fails.. Please, PLEASE read the user manual.. You should also have a long red/black wire with a 2-pin connector on the end of it in your owner's manual bag.. If you don't.. Re-visit your dealer and ask 'em where it is.. cause it's part of the package.. The manual tells you what to do with it if needed (Recently I had to help a new owner, he did not get his override cable so I had to lend him mine)

Now... As for the awning rod

I use mine when breaking camp.. If I"ve used pads under my jacks to spread the load, which I often do, or because it's going to drop below freezing and I don't want them to stick to the ground.. I use the awning rod to pull the pads out from under the rig.

I also use it for a lot of other things where I need to extend my reach

The only thing I've never used it for........ The awning.